Greasy Lake Community

The Ties That Bind - The River Collection

Just received this box and I feel like a kid in a candy store :D Have just started listening to the intended 1979 single album and looking forward to the documentary and (most of all) concert footage of Tempe 1980. Have seen some on Youtube, but I suppose that didn't do the footage justice. 

What are (were) your thoughts about this set when it was announced/released/when you first got it. I like reading people's opinions and thoughts! 

116768916_10221453827847380_812770677978424208_o.jpg

116835148_10221453828367393_8788749037821301509_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

The River outakes are great....however the Tempe 1980 footage is just breathtaking.

Best live footage of Bruce I have seen. Would love to have seen Bruce and the ESB at that time, but just missed out by a year or two before I became a fan.

Enjoy.

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

the Tempe 1980 footage is just breathtaking.

Best live footage of Bruce I have seen.

I was going to say exactly that, but I don't need to bother now :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

and I feel like a kid in a candy store :D 

These Boxsets add so much to his work. The music on CDs and DVDs/Blurays, but also a look at his notebooks, the comments to the lyrics, the endless setlists and outtake decisions, unreleased music, the tape covers, some great photos, etc. And later getting his book and his own version of growing up and starting the bands.
And every month we get a "The Archive Series"-release, and new great info in here.
It is good times to be a Bruce fan.

- - -

You know this Darkness Boxset, I hope?
If not ... you better go back in the candy store.

[2010] Unboxing the new Bruce Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town Boxset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ezTPIaLfEQ

Yes. I remember the feeling of unboxing these treasures.
And the first time I saw the 'Tempe 1980' bluray on my big screen and very loud.

Hope we will have a "Born in The USA" Boxset in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 minute ago, jepweb said:

These Boxsets add so much to his work. The music on CDs and DVDs/Blurays, but also a look at his notebooks, the comments to the lyrics, the endless setlists and outtake decisions, unreleased music, the tape covers, some great photos, etc. And later getting his book and his own version of growing up and starting the bands.
And every month we get a "The Archive Series"-release, and new great info in here.
It is good times to be a Bruce fan.

- - -

You know this Darkness Boxset, I hope?
If not ... you better go back in the candy store.

[2010] Unboxing the new Bruce Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town Boxset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ezTPIaLfEQ

Yes. I remember the feeling of unboxing these treasures.
And the first time I saw the 'Tempe 1980' bluray on my big screen and very loud.

Hope we will have a "Born in The USA" Boxset in the near future.

THe Darkness Box Set is, together with the special edition of 'Born To Run' scheduled to be delivered this evening.  Thank you for your thoughtful reply. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
8 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"The Time That Never Was" is stunning #THIRTYFIVEYEARSINAVAULT

And as I said in my review of the Tempe show, it's the greatest live documentation of Springsteen and The E Street Band. Ever. 

Well, luckily I have some sort of a time machine and will be magically transported back to Tempe 1980 tonight. The coming nights i'm also planning on visiting London 1975 and Houston 1978 B) 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

When it came out originally, my wife said I here there is a new Bruce box set coming out. Do you want that for Xmas. And I said no, it was to expansive for 11 new/never heard songs and a DVD. 

About 6 months after release I bought just the DVD on Facebook Marketplace for $12.00. Still don't have the 11 tunes, but hear them enough on ESR. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I'd love the opportunity to buy the CD4 out-take disc.  I'm not bothered about the rest of the package.
It's been a while now, surely it would pay them to release it.  We aren't all completists.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I'd love the opportunity to buy the CD4 out-take disc.  I'm not bothered about the rest of the package.
It's been a while now, surely it would pay them to release it.  We aren't all completists.

Go to your FB Marketplace and or E-Bay, it's out there somewhere. On the cheap now! 

1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

I have some sort of a time machine and will be magically transported back to Tempe 1980 tonight.

Recommended reading:

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/07/20/retro-e-street-review-november-5th-1980-tempe-az/

I'm sure you'll have a great evening. Don't pause it, so prepare yourself. A cold beer is okay.

• Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, jepweb said:

Recommended reading:

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/07/20/retro-e-street-review-november-5th-1980-tempe-az/

I'm sure you'll have a great evening. Don't pause it, so prepare yourself. A cold beer is okay.

Thanks for the link. I love reading @Paolo's Circus Story's reviews and such. Hadn't read this yet so I appreciate you pointing it out. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

When it came out originally, my wife said I here there is a new Bruce box set coming out. Do you want that for Xmas. And I said no, it was to expansive for 11 new/never heard songs and a DVD. 

About 6 months after release I bought just the DVD on Facebook Marketplace for $12.00. Still don't have the 11 tunes, but hear them enough on ESR. 

Nice shopping....it's a great box......but the live DVDs are clearly the jewel of the set

• Like 3

If we had never heard "Tracks", the River box would be insane. However, allot of it is duplicated. I will say the outtakes that are on it are breathtakingly wonderful. Time that Never was is for me an alltime classic. Party Lights is also amazing. Really, in a way, The story of the River is what wasnt included on the massive two LP party, tearfest, you name it. The Ties That Bind LP would have been amazing.....and if you can get your hands on the complete Tempe 1980 audio. (I know a guy, who knows a guy)

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
5 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

If we had never heard "Tracks", the River box would be insane. However, allot of it is duplicated. I will say the outtakes that are on it are breathtakingly wonderful. Time that Never was is for me an alltime classic. Party Lights is also amazing. Really, in a way, The story of the River is what wasnt included on the massive two LP party, tearfest, you name it. The Ties That Bind LP would have been amazing.....and if you can get your hands on the complete Tempe 1980 audio. (I know a guy, who knows a guy)

Tracks is something I also still have to listen to. It might be my choice (instead of a live concert) for commuting to/from work coming Friday and Saturday. I've listened to the 1979 1 LP version and the released 2 LP 1980 versions today. The outtakes will be listened to tomorrow. Regarding complete audio for Tempe, sadly, I don't know any guys :unsure:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Go to your FB Marketplace and or E-Bay, it's out there somewhere. On the cheap now! 

Just the CD4 disc?  I doubt it, only ever seen the complete box set for sale.

I loved the Tempe disc.

I got the 2 DVD version box, then later got the Blu-ray separate from someone who had it on ebay by itself for $16 plus 4 shipping (not a boot).

The Blu-ray is better looking, though some distant shots have a good deal of grain.

Completely outstanding footage, probably the best concert video I've ever seen (I can't think of what could possibly be better to me).

This also shows how Marc Brickman really added to the live shows in terms of lighting; Appel thought him a total genius, the greatest lighting designer in the world; Landau, due to wanting complete control, dismissed him! The shows were to never look the same again, never as spectacular thanks to Landau's horrible decision.

It's magnificent. Glad you are enjoying it.

I personally didn't like, esp. in restrospect, buying the River once again, and re: the outtakes...again, Tracks covers most of it. I liked Meet Me In The City very much even if a new recording basically, and also Party Lights. I thought Stray Bullet was beautiful musically but too tragic to listen to for long.

The part I liked least was the documentary; it's just Bruce, so it's obviously completely one-sided, not showing the absolute frustration of the band members for it taking forever, and obviously not showing how bad the arguments with Steven and Landau must have been. It shouldn't be called a documentary.

I wish the Tempe disc had been offered as a standalone release later, personally. I think it should have been; it's just too much of a gem.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
On 8/5/2020 at 12:56 AM, BossfanNL said:

THe Darkness Box Set is, together with the special edition of 'Born To Run' scheduled to be delivered this evening.  Thank you for your thoughtful reply. 

The darkness box set is the best thing ever

Its included in my earthquake evacuation plan 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 8/5/2020 at 3:43 AM, Early North Jersey said:

I was so excited when this came out.....The River and that tour made me a fan for life and to finally have footage from that tour was a dream.......just the Sherry Darling dance moves alone.....goofy fun Bruce at his peak

I was so excitted just to see your reaction

You are an integral  part of the river box set for me 

• Love Love Love! 1
On 8/5/2020 at 12:56 AM, BossfanNL said:

Party at your house ! 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Just finished watching the Tempe 1980 concert and it is 01.30am right now. What. A. Show!  Hearing these shows is fantastic, but seeing it (and most of it in context as opposed to random youtube videos) is simply awesome. The energy, the fun, the craftsmanship of the band and the obvious friendship between them ... My eyes are open now. For me these are now the definitive versions of Born To Run, Badlands, The River, The Promised Land (never knew he used two harmonica's for the intro), Cadillac Ranch and Drive All Night. 

Detroit Medley is now my all time favorite version and perhaps even my favorite 'song' from now on. What a fantastic and energetic performance after 3 hours performing. I have it on again while I'm typing this and will watch it again before going to bed. I love it when the house lights come up during Good Golly Miss Molly and stay up during the rest of the song .. there is something magic about seeing the whole house rocking and dancing. Video of this performance should be sold at the pharmacy as medicine against depression! 

My god.....you're like the son I didn't know I had :lol:.......in all seriousness though....those versions of Detroit Medley not only made me a Bruce freak......they sealed my love of live music forever........

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 2