A beauty of a song from a beauty of an album.This was one of the first if not the first Bruce songs that really made me take notice of his music,I remember being obsessed with it about ten years ago constantly playing it on my old iPod,and it still sounds great today.

Anyone else in the YBCD appreciation club?

Also is it true it's only been played live once?

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1
21 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Here's a snippet of that performance. BTW - I was there!!!

I just love the smile on Bruce and Steve's face when The Big Man kicks in. 

You lucky man!How did it sound in the flesh?

I like this song and I greatly look forward to listening to it live in the future courtesy of the Archive Series. 

That said, if I were to rank the album (and as you can see below that's exactly what I decided to do) it would be very close to the bottom. Probably more of a testament to the album's quality than a disparaging of the song itself.

1. "Girls in Their Summer Clothes"
  2. "Your Own Worst Enemy"
  3. "Radio Nowhere"
  4. "Devil's Arcade"
  5. "I'll Work For Your Love"
  6. "Long Walk Home"
  7. "Last to Die"
  8. "Terry's Song"
  9. "Magic"
  10. "Gypsy Biker"
  11. "You'll Be Coming Down"
  12. "Livin' in the Future"

A very strong album, that Magic

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

You lucky man!How did it sound in the flesh?

Well it really was at the start of my real fandom. Yes I seen Bruce in 78 and 84, but I was still stuck in my heavy metal daze. So I didn't know what I was watching, except that I knew it was great. 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
4 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I like this song and I greatly look forward to listening to it live in the future courtesy of the Archive Series. 

That said, if I were to rank the album (and as you can see below that's exactly what I decided to do) it would be very close to the bottom. Probably more of a testament to the album's quality than a disparaging of the song itself.

3. "Radio Nowhere"
  4. "Devil's Arcade"
  6. "Long Walk Home"
  7. "Last to Die"
  8. "Terry's Song"
  9. "Magic"
  10. "Gypsy Biker"

I know it supposed to be Long Walk Home, but Gypsy Biker is the best song on Magic, in my opinion. 

Maybe this Friday, we'll be getting a Magic show?

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Maybe this Friday, we'll be getting a Magic show

Funny thing today ESR played the famous St. Louis 08 show. Got to listen from the opening Than She Kissed Me to the start of Backstreets. What a show!!

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I know it supposed to be Long Walk Home, but Gypsy Biker is the best song on Magic

The Gypsy Biker from that St. Louis show is probably the best recording of that tune, even the album! 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I know it supposed to be Long Walk Home, but Gypsy Biker is the best song on Magic, in my opinion. 

I agree, and I do hope so. Another blistering performance from the Fall or maybe one of those rarity filled rollar coasters from the Spring. I loved the shows I saw in the Spring. Those Anaheim shows were amazing.

And if I may add, the Magic record seems to fit amidst our dystopian splender that is the world during the pandemic and other things. Just seems to fit. That first night in California opened with "Light of day". Steve and Bruce with a light on thier faces, each saying how they see a change coming on....I was in the pit. The 2nd night began with Thunder Road, always a magic moment. I love the jersey shows from 81 for that reason.

Bring it on this Friday. I am ready to be transformed.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

The Gypsy Biker from that St. Louis show is probably the best recording of that tune, even the album! 

I love how he sings 'as she lit up the ravine'

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Silvia said:

I love how he sings 'as she lit up the ravine'

Perfection. Could be an Iraq veteran they are mourning. Could be our current world. Hey Ho, rock n roll deliver me from nowhere!!

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I've started listening to the Tampa '08 version and I know what you mean. His intensity, his fury on "Gypsy Biker" is unlike any other on the album - even "Devil's Arcade". Based on what Bruce was trying to say with this album and tour, I'd if you take "Long Walk Home" out he'd have still achieved it, but I don't know if that can be said for "Biker". 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

I agree, and I do hope so. Another blistering performance from the Fall or maybe one of those rarity filled rollar coasters from the Spring. I loved the shows I saw in the Spring. Those Anaheim shows were amazing.

And if I may add, the Magic record seems to fit amidst our dystopian splender that is the world during the pandemic and other things. Just seems to fit. That first night in California opened with "Light of day". Steve and Bruce with a light on thier faces, each saying how they see a change coming on....I was in the pit. The 2nd night began with Thunder Road, always a magic moment. I love the jersey shows from 81 for that reason.

Bring it on this Friday. I am ready to be transformed.

It's almost Wednesday.. :)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

3. "Radio Nowhere"
  4. "Devil's Arcade"
  6. "Long Walk Home"
  7. "Last to Die"
  8. "Terry's Song"
  9. "Magic"
  10. "Gypsy Biker"

LITF at 12?To paraphrase Phil Leotardo in The Sopranos - 'My estimation of Paolo as a man just f***ing plummeted'

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

Perfection. Could be an Iraq veteran they are mourning. Could be our current world. Hey Ho, rock n roll deliver me from nowhere!!

And it could also be anytime in the Future.

Magic is Bruce's 1984.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
20 minutes ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

LITF at 12?To paraphrase Phil Leotardo in The Sopranos - 'My estimation of Paolo as a man just f***ing plummeted'

Haha, I just find it a bit tiresome compared to the rest. Like I say, it's probably more of a testament to the rest of the album's quality than the song itself. 

• Like 1

You'll be coming down is a great song and one of the best on Magic in my opinion.

Especially love the sax break from Clarence.

Remember reading an interview years ago with Max and he said he didn't like the song much , which surprised me.

• Like 1

You'll Be Comin' Down is apparently directed at the woman with whom Bruce had an extra marital affair around that time.

A minor version of the 'hate towards women songs' Dylan was so good at, way back then: Like A Rolling Stone, Positively 4th Street, Idiot Wind, and quite some others (Dylan was of course many times more nasty, cruel, with real contempt to the woman in question; Richard Thompson is quite good at it too).

I really like the song; that it is one of the lesser songs on Magic is just proof how great Magic is, the greatest Bruce Springsteen album post-TOL; and now more relevant than when it was written.

• Like 1

I love the song and love the album (save Living in the Future). When it first came out the song made me think of Lindsey Lohan which is odd because I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything she was in but I believe it may have been released when she and her family were often in the news for melting down.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Lol......I LOVE that he has girls so high....but 6 & 10 are WAY to low imo.......on the other hand I have 3 fan favorites that I would have 10,11 & 12....... So....erm.....never mind:D

• Like 2