Opening night - an official release, and one of my votes for hottest opening 3-packs of the fall leg

10 shows that shook the rock world and cemented Bruce at the top of it

1984-08-05 - BRENDAN BYRNE ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / OUT IN THE STREET / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / ATLANTIC CITY / JOHNNY 99 / HIGHWAY PATROLMAN / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / USED CARS / MY HOMETOWN / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / HUNGRY HEART / DANCING IN THE DARK / CADILLAC RANCH / SHERRY DARLING / NO SURRENDER / PINK CADILLAC / GROWIN' UP / BOBBY JEAN / BACKSTREETS / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / JERSEY GIRL / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT

First night of a ten show stand at the Meadowlands Arena. Encores include the first "Jersey Girl" of the tour. "Growin' Up" includes the wild animals story. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Hail To The Chief" during the band introductions. "Detroit Medley" includes "Travelin' Band".

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

I only have the August 20th show from this stand and will be buying the August 5th show in the near future. (make note to self: also search for audience recordings). It's hard to imagine it is already 36 years ago today.  Even if I had been a fan at the time, would they have let in a 5 year old at that time? (not to speak of a complete ocean between me and Bruce). It would certainly have been awesome to have been there. What did people think about the changed appearance? No more shirt and jackets and gone was the skinny guy. 

• Like 1

Reviewed the opening night show during Lockdown: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/05/19/previously-from-the-springsteen-archive-august-5th-1984-east-rutherford-nj/

It's overshadowed by August 20th, but it still has my favourite version of "Highway Patrolman", which might have been the first Archive Series song release to stop me in my tracks. So it was definitely worthy of release, for me. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Reviewed the opening night show during Lockdown: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/05/19/previously-from-the-springsteen-archive-august-5th-1984-east-rutherford-nj/

It's overshadowed by August 20th, but it still has my favourite version of "Highway Patrolman", which might have been the first Archive Series song release to stop me in my tracks. So it was definitely worthy of release, for me. 

Will read it when I get my next salary. knowing your writing, it probably persuade me to buy it right away ;)

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Feel free to tell that to Nugs and Bruce Inc. :lol:

;)

Naamloos.jpg

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

I only have the August 20th show from this stand and will be buying the August 5th show in the near future. (make note to self: also search for audience recordings). It's hard to imagine it is already 36 years ago today.  Even if I had been a fan at the time, would they have let in a 5 year old at that time? (not to speak of a complete ocean between me and Bruce). It would certainly have been awesome to have been there. What did people think about the changed appearance? No more shirt and jackets and gone was the skinny guy. 

I missed sport coat and sideburns rockabilly Bruce and I surely missed Miami Steve......it's still hard to believe that when I walked out of Nassau Coliseum at 1:30 in the morning on 1/1/81 that I would not see Bruce and Steve share a stage together for 18 1/2 years !!!!.......

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I missed sport coat and sideburns rockabilly Bruce and I surely missed Miami Steve......it's still hard to believe that when I walked out of Nassau Coliseum at 1:30 in the morning on 1/1/81 that I would not see Bruce and Steve share a stage together for 18 1/2 years !!!!.......

The absence of Steve must have felt strange for the fans back then indeed. What did you think of Nils at the time as he is quite a different, more energetic guitar player compared to Steve. Also, as Paolo points out in his review of the August 5th concert, the harmonizing between Bruce/Nils was quite different compared to Bruce/Steve. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

My favorite HP as well. Breathtaking. Patti also sings so beautifully...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

The absence of Steve must have felt strange for the fans back then indeed. What did you think of Nils at the time as he is quite a different, more energetic guitar player compared to Steve. Also, as Paolo points out in his review of the August 5th concert, the harmonizing between Bruce/Nils was quite different compared to Bruce/Steve. 

I was biased.....I used to say Steve was so awesome they needed two people to replace him lol.....

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

On account of your words I just closely listened to that version of Highway Patrolman. It is a song I had 'heard' on the August 20th show too, but did not pay much attention to it as it was one of those 'slow' acoustic songs. This will teach me to not be so judgemental so soon. I've just heard a beautiful piece of music (with my eyes closed as that way I can focus more on the English language as a non native English speaker and which undoubtedly heightened my experience). I love how the crowd comes in on 3 different occasions and how the bass sets in beautifully at one point. Patty's vocalizing is great and instead of taking away from Bruce's voice she really adds to it. I need to hear this again ...

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

On account of your words I just closely listened to that version of Highway Patrolman. It is a song I had 'heard' on the August 20th show too, but did not pay much attention to it as it was one of those 'slow' acoustic songs. This will teach me to not be so judgemental so soon. I've just heard a beautiful piece of music (with my eyes closed as that way I can focus more on the English language as a non native English speaker and which undoubtedly heightened my experience). I love how the crowd comes in on 3 different occasions and how the bass sets in beautifully at one point. Patty's vocalizing is great and instead of taking away from Bruce's voice she really adds to it. I need to hear this again ...

Glad that I was able to help you 'rediscover' this song in a minuscule way. One strength of the Archive Series is the second chances it gives us. We can hear one version of a song at anytime and think little of it, but then somewhere down the road, we're bound to get hit with that ESSENCE.

If all of us on here had a pound/dollar/euro/franc etc. for every time we've said "I need to hear this again" over the last few years, we'd probably be able to pay for whatever expensive technology Nugs need to fix the problem with The Rising Tour shows. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
10 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Glad that I was able to help you 'rediscover' this song in a minuscule way. One strength of the Archive Series is the second chances it gives us. We can hear one version of a song at anytime and think little of it, but then somewhere down the road, we're bound to get hit with that ESSENCE.

If all of us on here had a pound/dollar/euro/franc etc. for every time we've said "I need to hear this again" over the last few years, we'd probably be able to pay for whatever expensive technology Nugs need to fix the problem with The Rising Tour shows. 

As I've said earlier, I'm usually not really into acoustic songs so I tend to either pay no real attention to them or dismiss them too soon. But, in either case I'm always open for suggestion to certain versions and favorites of other people. And then, sometimes, magic happens ....

I just listened to the August 20th version and I, too, prefer the version from August 5th. The performance is equal, but the sound picture on the August 5th concert gives it the edge for me. It sounds a bit fuller and warmer than the August 20th concert.   

• Like 1

What is hard to get across is the electricity in the air that night, peaking just before the lights went out and the opening salvo of BITUSA levitated us out of our seats. Bruce and The River and that tour had been huge, at least by any standard that existed before the BITUSA tour ended. Nebraska had dropped without much popular mention. The arena was fairly new, the shakeup of people on-stage was unexpected - heck, there was even a girl in the boys club! So this opening night was highly awaited, and yet most of us didn't know exactly what to expect. Remember, no internet, no cell phones, not the extensive fan network we have now.

There is a reason that both first and last nights, only 15 days apart, were released officially. And it's not that they were the only recordings available ;)

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
4 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Because you recorded them all! ;)

Oh, I wish! I didn't start recording until I went to LA and Tempe in November. That 11/4 recording was my 2d one ever, 11/8 was the third. 

If I had recorded them then I would have had 8/20 from the very night itself, instead of having to wait until early 1988 to get a copy on cassette. Yes, I know, y'all waited longer to get it "officially", although the wonderful "A Special Night" has circulated for a long time - but I WAS THERE, and that Drift Away has played in my head whenever I wanted ever since. I just wanted the recording to share that moment with others, to try to describe what it was like on the floor that night when he made that magic.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

As I've said earlier, I'm usually not really into acoustic songs so I tend to either pay no real attention to them or dismiss them too soon. But, in either case I'm always open for suggestion to certain versions and favorites of other people. And then, sometimes, magic happens ....

I just listened to the August 20th version and I, too, prefer the version from August 5th. The performance is equal, but the sound picture on the August 5th concert gives it the edge for me. It sounds a bit fuller and warmer than the August 20th concert.   

Totally agree....I generally do not pay a lot of attention to acoustic Bruce.....but sometimes it can just grab you.....sometimes when it's just Bruce and Patti singing together I get chills...Mansion on the Hill from 2000 and Empty Sky from 2003 are two examples for me specifically....in both cases I was incredibly moved

edit If I Should Fall Behind from Dublin is also on that list for me

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

She's on form in this show like few others. "Out in the Street" is another highlight from her. 

No, it's not. She ruined that song during that tour. 

Say what you will but Out In The Street from 84-85 is NOT a highlight for me. 

• Like 2

night 2

1984-08-06 - BRENDAN BYRNE ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / OUT IN THE STREET / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / ATLANTIC CITY / OPEN ALL NIGHT / NEBRASKA / TRAPPED / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / USED CARS / MY HOMETOWN / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / CADILLAC RANCH / HUNGRY HEART / DANCING IN THE DARK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / NO SURRENDER / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / PINK CADILLAC / FIRE / BOBBY JEAN / RACING IN THE STREET / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / I'M A ROCKER / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / STREET FIGHTING MAN / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME

"Spirit In The Night" makes its tour debut. "No Surrender" now includes a harmonica solo instead of the sha-la-la vocal, acoustic version #2. It will be played as such from now on for the rest of the tour. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes the "Come A Little Bit Closer" introduction. Bruce sings a bit of Chubby Checker's "Let's Twist Again" as an introduction to "I'm A Rocker".

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
7 minutes ago, JimCT said:

night 2

1984-08-06 - BRENDAN BYRNE ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / OUT IN THE STREET / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / ATLANTIC CITY / OPEN ALL NIGHT / NEBRASKA / TRAPPED / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / USED CARS / MY HOMETOWN / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / CADILLAC RANCH / HUNGRY HEART / DANCING IN THE DARK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / NO SURRENDER / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / PINK CADILLAC / FIRE / BOBBY JEAN / RACING IN THE STREET / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / I'M A ROCKER / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / STREET FIGHTING MAN / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME

"Spirit In The Night" makes its tour debut. "No Surrender" now includes a harmonica solo instead of the sha-la-la vocal, acoustic version #2. It will be played as such from now on for the rest of the tour. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes the "Come A Little Bit Closer" introduction. Bruce sings a bit of Chubby Checker's "Let's Twist Again" as an introduction to "I'm A Rocker".

That would make an awesome archive release. Spirit In The Night, Open All Night, Nebraska, Trapped, Racing In The Street, I'm A Rocker & Street Fighting Man. B)

1 minute ago, BossfanNL said:

That would make an awesome archive release. Spirit In The Night, Open All Night, Nebraska, Trapped, Racing In The Street, I'm A Rocker & Street Fighting Man. B)

Just another Monday night back then :D 

• Haha 2