Greasy Lake Community

Bruce Springsteen: All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track

I noticed a new book is coming out on October 6th with the above title. It looks very interesting and the sample pages I've seen on Amazon look very promising. (at least for me as a new fan). Is anyone planning on buying this book and has something like this been done before already? (sorry if this has been asked/discussed before). 

You've reminded me I must read this one sometime. I'm sure others will be able to comment on it:

81yjt2GFACL.jpg

Rolling Stone journalist Brian Hiatt takes a detailed look at each and every one of Springsteen's album tracks, providing a unique look at this rock legend's method, and includes many anecdotes and insights into the great American singer/songwriter.

Hiatt draws on previously unseen interview material with Bruce Springsteen himself, as well as many important people involved in the recording process over the years, including Roy Bittan, Nils Lofgren, David Sancious, Mike Appel, Bob Clearmountain, Ron Aniello, Jimmy Iovine, Louis Lahav, Chuck Plotkin, Tom Morello and Larry Alexander. This is the first book to cover every officially released track, from hits to obscurities, from 1974's Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. to 2014's High Hopes.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

You've reminded I must read this one sometime. I'm sure others will be able to comment on it:

81yjt2GFACL.jpg

Rolling Stone journalist Brian Hiatt takes a detailed look at each and every one of Springsteen's album tracks, providing a unique look at this rock legend's method, and includes many anecdotes and insights into the great American singer/songwriter.

Hiatt draws on previously unseen interview material with Bruce Springsteen himself, as well as many important people involved in the recording process over the years, including Roy Bittan, Nils Lofgren, David Sancious, Mike Appel, Bob Clearmountain, Ron Aniello, Jimmy Iovine, Louis Lahav, Chuck Plotkin, Tom Morello and Larry Alexander. This is the first book to cover every officially released track, from hits to obscurities, from 1974's Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. to 2014's High Hopes.

Thank you very much. These kind of books, new or old, are very interesting and handy for new fans like me. I will see if the book you have is still available. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Will definitely be getting this book when it comes out.

Love reading about how Bruce's songs came about and what the stories were behind them.

That's something we share! I watched the documentary that came with the River box set yesterday and although it doesn't go really in depth it does shine some light about the creative process behind the songs. If done well, these books are ones I come back to very often. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Also a fairly new book I see (2019). It will be delivered tomorrow (if all goes well). looking forward to it. Thank you for the link.  Now I might as well read @Paolo's Circus Story's review of the August 5th, 1984 concert as well and buy that too :D) Like Bruce says: "I can't stop man. Not now". 

• Like 2

This author was on ESR, oh a few months back as a guest DJ, loved the stories he tells about the songs he played. 

The Iceman and 4th of July Asbury Park are two great stories. I won't ruin it for anyone who will be reading the book. I might just pick this up at our library if it's in the system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Breakaway said:

Hiatt's book is pretty fantastic...though it's missing The Wrestler and My best was never good enough. ;)

I will find out for myself tomorrow as I should get it delivered then :D

• Like 2

Just now, Breakaway said:

The Philippe Margot book will probably be a very heavy book - literally! - if it's anything like the one on Bob Dylan.

I noticed it having 670 pages (as opposite to the less than 300 Hiatt's book has. It's why I probably will buy that one too.  

1 minute ago, BossfanNL said:

I noticed it having 670 pages (as opposite to the less than 300 Hiatt's book has. It's why I probably will buy that one too.  

I'm planning on buying the Margotin book too. I was going to borrow his Dylan-book from the library but it weighed too much to carry home. :lol: Luckily the Clinton Heylin books on Dylan's songs are good enough.

I have always wanted a Bruce equivalent of Ian Macdonald’s Revolution In The Head and Nicholas Pegg’s The Complete David Bowie, which are my favourite books about music. But I have yet to find one.

I will be getting this book as well! 

This book has been mentioned before, and if I recall correctly people are excited about it. Check out this thread: 

If you want other books, I refer you to

- the book by Brian Hiatt (mentioned above), 

- "Like a Killer in the Sun" by an Italian writer (and it includes a preface of Maestro Ennio Morricone!!!)

- 'Songs' by The Boss himself!!... 

• Love Love Love! 1

On 8/5/2020 at 8:18 PM, Breakaway said:

The Philippe Margotin book will probably be a very heavy book - literally! - if it's anything like the one on Bob Dylan.

Aye. The Dylan one is excellent. This new one on Bruce will put the Hiatt one in the shade.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:16 AM, Garyfox said:

I have always wanted a Bruce equivalent of Ian Macdonald’s Revolution In The Head and Nicholas Pegg’s The Complete David Bowie, which are my favourite books about music. But I have yet to find one.

RITH is a remarkable book. And I say that as a non Beatles fan.

22 hours ago, Wout said:

I will be getting this book as well! 

This book has been mentioned before, and if I recall correctly people are excited about it. Check out this thread: 

If you want other books, I refer you to

- the book by Brian Hiatt (mentioned above), 

- "Like a Killer in the Sun" by an Italian writer (and it includes a preface of Maestro Ennio Morricone!!!)

- 'Songs' by The Boss himself!!... 

Thanks Wout! I will check that topic tomorrow. It seems I should have checked if it was brought up already. My mistake.

The Hiatt book is one I'm currently going through (ordered it after it was mentioned here). The other two I'll check out soon too. 

• 1 month later...

So, this arrived today via lorry and fork-lift truck.   Shame they had to take out one of my windows in order for me to get it inside the house, but hey ho. 

I wonder how peed off the authors were when Letter to You was announced...

IMG_5206.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

So, this arrived today via lorry and fork-lift truck.   Shame they had to take out one of my windows in order for me to get it inside the house, but hey ho. 

I wonder how peed off the authors were when Letter to You was announced...

IMG_5206.jpeg

Sorry that make me laugh out loud.

• Haha 1

I've been just casually going through the book and there are quite a number of small errors....The Seeger Sessions Band rehearsing for the Devils&Dust-tour, a picture clearly from the BITUSA-tour is from a show in 1990, a picture clearly from the 1992-93 tour is from the TGOTJ-tour....