Paolo's Circus Story

PSA: Reviews of every Archive Series release so far now up on the site!

Recommended Posts

LINK: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/category/live-downloads-archive-series-reviews/

Hi.

With Friday's release delayed and it giving me the opportunity to post my review of Apollo 2012 this week instead of next week, this means I've finally reviewed all 56 shows unearthed from the Archive so far! 

I know this mightn't be worthy of a dedicated topic and I imagine it won't interest everyone, but I'm a little proud of myself to have gotten this done so I couldn't really resist taking a bit of delight in it. 

Hopefully these reviews have been of use to anyone who's read them and I can't thank those on here who've read and given feedback (good and bad) over the last two years enough.

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

LINK: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/category/live-downloads-archive-series-reviews/

Hi.

With Friday's release delayed and it giving me the opportunity to post my review of Apollo 2012 this week instead of next week, this means I've finally reviewed all 56 shows unearthed from the Archive so far! 

I know this mightn't be worthy of a dedicated topic and I imagine it won't interest everyone, but I'm a little proud of myself to have gotten this done so I couldn't really resist taking a bit of delight in it. 

Hopefully these reviews have been of use to anyone who's read them and I can't thank those on here who've read and given feedback (good and bad) over the last two years enough.

Going to read it tomorrow, although I should be careful as you've seen what happened today ^_^:lol:

They've been a tremendous help for me as a starting fan and I can imagine that they certainly also offer something to the hardcore fan too. Keep writing! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Going to read it tomorrow, although I should be careful as you've seen what happened today ^_^:lol:

They've been a tremendous help for me as a starting fan and I can imagine that they certainly also offer something to the hardcore fan too. Keep writing! 

Might be the wise thing to do - I'd like to think I was very positive about "The Way You Do The Things You Do" from this show. 

I'm glad they've been a help and I can only hope they continue to be. Looking forward to starting reviewing the High Hopes Tour shows from September!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Might be the wise thing to do - I'd like to think I was very positive about "The Way You Do The Things You Do" from this show. 

I'm glad they've been a help and I can only hope they continue to be. Looking forward to starting reviewing the High Hopes Tour shows from September!

Looking forward to that. I've read your blog about that tour, but individual concert reviews would be very nice. So far I only have one multitrack and 3 audience recordings from this tour. I bought that multitrack years ago because of the inclusion of 'Burning Love' and haven't listened much to the show beyond that track. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Looking forward to that. I've read your blog about that tour, but individual concert reviews would be very nice. So far I only have one multitrack and 3 audience recordings from this tour. I bought that multitrack years ago because of the inclusion of 'Burning Love' and haven't listened much to the show beyond that track. 

Listening again will also allow me to re-evaluate these shows and while I posted the key details of them in the four guides, I'm admittedly looking forward to getting more so stuck into the songs and what's good and bad about them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

With Friday's release delayed 

Motherfu...

Damn, I was looking forward to friday.

Hope it's not bridge school benefit again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Can you make a list based on the ratings you've given the releases?

Happy to - but as I always say, the rating is a reference, the words are the most important aspect of these reviews for me.

Also, a reminder of personal preference etc. etc. Any questions about certain ratings I believe I've covered in the reviews themselves. 

  1. September 19th, 1978 – Passaic, NJ (10.25)
  2. September 20th, 1978 – Passaic, NJ (10/10)
  3. November 5th, 1980 – Tempe, AZ (10/10)
  4. July 3rd, 1988 – Stockholm, SE (10/10)
  5. June 5th, 1981 – London, UK (10/10)
  6. July 1st, 2000 – New York, NY (10/10) 
  7. December 15th, 1978 – San Francisco, CA – Winterland (9.75/10)
  8. September 27th, 1985 – Los Angeles, CA (9.75/10)
  9. October 18th, 1975 – The Roxy – West Hollywood, CA (9.75/10)
  10. October 23rd, 1999 – Los Angeles, CA (9.6/10)
  11. July 7th, 1978 – The Roxy – West Hollywood, CA (9.5/10)
  12. August 20th, 1984 – East Rutherford, NJ (9.5/10)
  13. September 30th, 1999 – Chicago, IL (9.5/10)
  14. July 24th, 2013 – Leeds, UK (9.5/10)
  15. November 16th & 17th, 1990 – Los Angeles, CA – The Christic Shows (9.5/10)
  16. November 22nd, 2009 – Buffalo, NY (9.5/10) 
  17. September 25th, 1999 – Philadelphia, PA (9.4/10)
  18. December 31st, 1980 – Uniondale, NY (9.25/10)
  19. December 29th, 1980 – Uniondale, NY (9.25/10)
  20. May 23rd, 1988 – New York, NY (9/10)
  21. April 22nd, 2008 – Tampa, FL (9/10)
  22. June 25th, 2005 – Stockholm, SE (9/10)
  23. July 9th, 1981 – East Rutherford, NJ (8.8/10)
  24. July 28th, 2012 – Gothenburg, SE (8.75/10)
  25. September 21st & 22nd, 1979 – New York, NY – No Nukes (8.75/10)
  26. December 16th, 1978 – San Francisco, CA – Winterland (8.5/10)
  27. March 28th, 1988 – Detroit, MI (8.5/10)
  28. July 31st, 2012 – Helsinki, FI (8.5/10)
  29. August 5th, 1984 – East Rutherford, NJ (8.25/10)
  30. November 24th, 1996 – Asbury Park, NJ (8.25/10)
  31. November 19th, 2007 – Boston, MA (8/10)
  32. August 3rd, 2005 – Grand Rapids, MI (8/10)
  33. November 8th, 1996 – Freehold, NJ (8/10)
  34. December 31st, 1975 – Tower Theatre – Upper Darby, PA (8/10)
  35. April 23rd, 1988 – Los Angeles, CA (8/10)
  36. November 8th, 2009 – New York, NY (8/10)
  37. August 23rd, 2008 – St Louis, MO (8/10)
  38. September 22nd, 2012 – East Rutherford, NJ (8/10)
  39. November 22nd, 2005 – Trenton, NJ (7.75/10)
  40. June 16th, 2003 – Helsinki, FI (7.75/10)
  41. March 19th, 1996 – Belfast, UK (7.5/10)
  42. October 13th, 1986, Mountain View, CA – The Bridge School Benefit (7.5/10)
  43. December 8th, 1978 – Houston, TX (7.4/10)
  44. August 9th, 1978 – Cleveland, OH – The Agora (7/10)
  45. April 30th, 2006 – New Orleans, LA (7/10)
  46. May 4th, 2009 – Uniondale, NY (7/10)
  47. October 20th, 2009 – Philadelphia, PA (6.9/10)
  48. February 7th, 1977 – Albany, NY (6.75/10)
  49. July 25th, 1992 – East Rutherford, NJ (6.75/10)
  50. February 8th, 1977 – Rochester, NY (6.5/10)
  51. June 24th, 1993 – East Rutherford, NJ (6.5/10)
  52. July 31st, 2005 – Columbus, OH (6.5/10)
  53. July 11th, 2013 – Rome, IT (6.5/10)
  54. March 9th, 2012 – New York, NY (6/10)

All ratings are open to be altered depending on future releases and future listening, but for the time being these are set in stone. 

I also really hope I haven't accidentally linked to an entirely different release...

  • Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Motherfu...

Damn, I was looking forward to friday.

Hope it's not bridge school benefit again

Same mate, but this is par for the course nowadays. It's happened before, it'll happen again in the future. 

If it's the 95 BSB I hope the artwork is of Bruce wearing his little cap :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always a very nice review. Made me look up the a YT video of 'The Way You Do The Things You Do' (which I liked a lot) and a video of 'Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out' from later in the tour to see the Clarence tribute during the song (impressive). I've got all archive ESB releases from the 1975-2008 period now and a selection of 2009-2013.  The missing ones, 2014 HH tour and 2016/River Tour will be added over time (as might the solo acoustic stuff too, but that's not decided yet). 

@Paolo's Circus Story, is it a coincidence that the last concert to review is also the last one on this list (thus the one with the lowest ranking)?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Happy to - but as I always say, the rating is a reference, the words are the most important aspect of these reviews for me.

Also, a reminder of personal preference etc. etc. Any questions about certain ratings I believe I've covered in the reviews themselves. 

  1. September 19th, 1978 – Passaic, NJ (10.25)
  2. September 20th, 1978 – Passaic, NJ (10/10)
  3. Springsteen on Broadway (10/10)
  4. November 5th, 1980 – Tempe, AZ (10/10)
  5. July 3rd, 1988 – Stockholm, SE (10/10)
  6. June 5th, 1981 – London, UK (10/10)
  7. July 1st, 2000 – New York, NY (10/10) 
  8. December 15th, 1978 – San Francisco, CA – Winterland (9.75/10)
  9. September 27th, 1985 – Los Angeles, CA (9.75/10)
  10. October 18th, 1975 – The Roxy – West Hollywood, CA (9.75/10)
  11. October 23rd, 1999 – Los Angeles, CA (9.6/10)
  12. July 7th, 1978 – The Roxy – West Hollywood, CA (9.5/10)
  13. August 20th, 1984 – East Rutherford, NJ (9.5/10)
  14. September 30th, 1999 – Chicago, IL (9.5/10)
  15. July 24th, 2013 – Leeds, UK (9.5/10)
  16. November 16th & 17th, 1990 – Los Angeles, CA – The Christic Shows (9.5/10)
  17. November 22nd, 2009 – Buffalo, NY (9.5/10) 
  18. September 25th, 1999 – Philadelphia, PA (9.4/10)
  19. December 31st, 1980 – Uniondale, NY (9.25/10)
  20. December 29th, 1980 – Uniondale, NY (9.25/10)
  21. November 18th, 1975 – Hammersmith Odeon – London, UK (9.25/10)
  22. May 23rd, 1988 – New York, NY (9/10)
  23. April 22nd, 2008 – Tampa, FL (9/10)
  24. June 25th, 2005 – Stockholm, SE (9/10)
  25. July 9th, 1981 – East Rutherford, NJ (8.8/10)
  26. July 28th, 2012 – Gothenburg, SE (8.75/10)
  27. September 21st & 22nd, 1979 – New York, NY – No Nukes (8.75/10)
  28. June 28th, 2009 – London Calling: Live in Hyde Park (8.75/10)
  29. December 16th, 1978 – San Francisco, CA – Winterland (8.5/10)
  30. March 28th, 1988 – Detroit, MI (8.5/10)
  31. July 31st, 2012 – Helsinki, FI (8.5/10)
  32. August 5th, 1984 – East Rutherford, NJ (8.25/10)
  33. November 24th, 1996 – Asbury Park, NJ (8.25/10)
  34. November 19th, 2007 – Boston, MA (8/10)
  35. August 3rd, 2005 – Grand Rapids, MI (8/10)
  36. November 8th, 1996 – Freehold, NJ (8/10)
  37. December 31st, 1975 – Tower Theatre – Upper Darby, PA (8/10)
  38. April 23rd, 1988 – Los Angeles, CA (8/10)
  39. November 8th, 2009 – New York, NY (8/10)
  40. August 23rd, 2008 – St Louis, MO (8/10)
  41. September 22nd, 2012 – East Rutherford, NJ (8/10)
  42. November 22nd, 2005 – Trenton, NJ (7.75/10)
  43. October 16th, 2002 – Live in Barcelona (7.75/10)
  44. June 16th, 2003 – Helsinki, FI (7.75/10)
  45. March 19th, 1996 – Belfast, UK (7.5/10)
  46. October 13th, 1986, Mountain View, CA – The Bridge School Benefit (7.5/10)
  47. December 8th, 1978 – Houston, TX (7.4/10)
  48. August 9th, 1978 – Cleveland, OH – The Agora (7/10)
  49. April 30th, 2006 – New Orleans, LA (7/10)
  50. May 4th, 2009 – Uniondale, NY (7/10)
  51. October 20th, 2009 – Philadelphia, PA (6.9/10)
  52. February 7th, 1977 – Albany, NY (6.75/10)
  53. July 25th, 1992 – East Rutherford, NJ (6.75/10)
  54. February 8th, 1977 – Rochester, NY (6.5/10)
  55. June 24th, 1993 – East Rutherford, NJ (6.5/10)
  56. July 31st, 2005 – Columbus, OH (6.5/10)
  57. July 11th, 2013 – Rome, IT (6.5/10)
  58. March 9th, 2012 – New York, NY (6/10)

All ratings are open to be altered depending on future releases and future listening, but for the time being these are set in stone. 

I also really hope I haven't accidentally linked to an entirely different release...

I liked how this list looked and decided to add Live in BarcelonaLondon Calling, Springsteen on Broadway and Hammersmith Odeon '75 to it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I liked how this list looked and decided to add Live in BarcelonaLondon Calling, Springsteen on Broadway and Hammersmith Odeon '75 to it. 

Very nice. I'd be interested to see which of the more recent shows rank "up there" for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kcpajor said:

Very nice. I'd be interested to see which of the more recent shows rank "up there" for you.

Thanks! I'm hoping to one day have reviews of all shows from 2014 - 2017 posted, but for the time being I just have brief write ups of what I consider to be the best shows in the respective Best of guides.

From 2014 I have: 

  • 12th February, 2014 – Adelaide, AU at 9/10;
  • 18th May, 2014 – Uncasville, CT at 9.25/10; 
  • 19th February, 2014 – Sydney, AU and 26th February, 2014 – Brisbane, AU at 10/10.

From 2016 I have:

  • 23rd April 2016 - Brooklyn, NY, 25th June 2016 - Gothenburg, SE and 5th July 2016 - Milan, IT at 9/10;
  • 25rd April 2016 - Brooklyn, NY and February 16th 2017 - Brisbane AUS at 9.25/10;
  • 14th September 2016 - Foxboro, MA at 9.5/10
  • 11th July 2016 - Paris, FR and 16th July 2016 - Rome, IT at 9.75/10
  • 13th July 2016 - Paris, FR23rd July 2016 - Gothenburg, SE30th August 2016 - East Rutherford, NJ and 7th September 2016 - Philadelphia, PA at 10/10
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I like the idea of updating this list with every new release, so it's probably going to be a thing I do now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Paolo scale is an interesting phenomenon. Can't wait for Vets 81 and you're forced to give that inevitable score of 11/10 :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wout said:

This Paolo scale is an interesting phenomenon. Can't wait for Vets 81 and you're forced to give that inevitable score of 11/10 :) 

I've thought about what rating I'd give that show on release much more than anybody ever should :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the meaning of PSA now appearing in Couple of subject lines? Prostate Specific Antigen? :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.