I hope this hasn't been discussed already. Personally I love Bruce the storyteller. He is a captivating  speaker and I really love how certain stories change and evolve during tours. What is your favorite storytelling Bruce song (Growin' Up, Glory Days, Pretty Flamingo, Pink Cadillac) and which variation (for example: Growin' Up  - bear, spaceman, guitar, teenage wolve, meeting Clarence). 

My 2 personal favorites are: 

- Pink Cadillac with the 'God' creating everything story (I also like the getaway car version)

- Pretty Flamingo from East Rutherford, August 30th, 2016 with the diner and 'NO MUSTARD' story. 

• Like 5

Jim the Dancing Bear, from Aug '84 thru Syracuse '85, was pretty epic. The Pink Caddy Garden of Eden story, which I think peaked at the 11/8/84 show ;) was also great. Unfortunately, these long stories are things that don't appeal to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

5 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Jim the Dancing Bear, from Aug '84 thru Syracuse '85, was pretty epic. The Pink Caddy Garden of Eden story, which I think peaked at the 11/8/84 show ;) was also great. Unfortunately, these long stories are things that don't appeal to everyone.

And that's perfectly ok. Tastes are different. I don't have that particular '84 concert, but am listening now to the Los Angeles, 10/25/84 Pink Cadillac (fantastic sound btw).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BossfanNL said:

And that's perfectly ok. Tastes are different. I don't have that particular '84 concert, but am listening now to the Los Angeles, 10/25/84 Pink Cadillac (fantastic sound btw).  

here is the 11/8 Pink Caddy, from my master ;) That's me helping Bruce when he forgets his lines :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Growin' Up, end of the '85 tour

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

That's awesome. Now I know how your voice sounds :lol: Great recording too! 

And again, lovely alterations with previous versions (even as close as Los Angeles). I love it how he makes each spoken intro fit the town/state he is playing. He's really gifted that way!

• Like 1

Anything that isn’t about his father. We got it. Move on.

• Haha 1

I absolutely love the stories, they were what made him stand out for me the first time I saw him but my favourite is The Wish from SOB. His relationship with him mum is the relationship any woman would want to have with her son.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3

Sorry, but what is SOB? I'm quite a new fan and have some real troubles with the abbreviations :unsure: 

20 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Sorry, but what is SOB? I'm quite a new fan and have some real troubles with the abbreviations :unsure: 

Springsteen on Broadway.

• Love Love Love! 1

3 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Springsteen on Broadway.

Thank you. Feel a little embarrassed now.  

• Haha 1

I like Growing Up with the bear story, which I saw o na TV documentary when I first was getting to know Bruce and it really amazed me.

But my all-time fav without a doubt, which still moves me to this day, is the story at the start of The River on the Live set. Absolute chills every time he says "That's good" at the end.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2

The 1985  "Racing in the Street" story.

• Love Love Love! 1

14 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Thank you. Feel a little embarrassed now.  

No need to feel embarrassed- someone who has been a fan for many years asked me the same thing a few weeks ago.:)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

5 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

The 1985  "Racing in the Street" story.

Hope we'll get one on a archive release soon. 

One that I've going back to a lot over the last few months is his intro to "Across The Border" on the November 24th, 1996 – Asbury Park, NJ Archive release.
I love the detail he goes into in this story about the influence of John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath and the effect that Ford's and Toland's cinematography in certain scenes had on him. In particular, the dance towards the end. I've watched a few classic films this year and at times I've found the inclusion of random dance scenes unnecessary (i.e. in Kramer's The Wild One or Fellini's 8 1/2), but when I hoyed The Grapes of Wrath on during lockdown and had Bruce's words fresh in my mind, I believe I took that dance scene in a lot more than I would have if I'd never heard Bruce essentially analyse it frame by frame.  

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

One that I've going back to a lot over the last few months is his intro to "Across The Border" on the November 24th, 1996 – Asbury Park, NJ Archive release.
I love the detail he goes into in this story about the influence of John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath and the effect that Ford's and Toland's cinematography in certain scenes had on him. In particular, the dance towards the end. I've watched a few classic films this year and at times I've found the inclusion of random dance scenes unnecessary (i.e. in Kramer's The Wild One or Fellini's 8 1/2), but when I hoyed The Grapes of Wrath on during lockdown and had Bruce's words fresh in my mind, I believe I took that dance scene in a lot more than I would have if I'd never heard Bruce essentially analyse it frame by frame.  

Interesting. Don't have any of the 1996 shows so I'm not familiar with those stories and that's one of the reasons for starting topics like these. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Interesting. Don't have any of the 1996 shows so I'm not familiar with those stories and that's one of the reasons for starting topics like these. 

They're worth it for that "Across The Border" intro alone mate. He pretty much says the same thing word for word in Belfast, Freehold and Asbury Park, but as I wrote in my review for Apollo 2012, it's so great when an artist lets us in to their influences and inspirations that I personally don't mind about the repetition.

It was Ford sort of holding out the possibility of beauty, in a world that can be so brutal, because where there’s beauty well there’s always hope, and what you might call divine love, or, whatever you choose to call it.” 

• Love Love Love! 1

I love the Belfast 96 intro to It's The Little Things. 

And the Freehold show is a must, he talks a lot there...

Joad tour is tricky, though. Some don't like it at all, I personally love it beyond words.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

8 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I love the Belfast 96 intro to It's The Little Things. 

And the Freehold show is a must, he talks a lot there...

Joad tour is tricky, though. Some don't like it at all, I personally love it beyond words.

Oh… you mean, uh, you don’t give any change in the bar, or, the whole community got together and said like “fuck ’em when they come through here no more change!”?” - That kills me every time. 

I think my favourite intro in the Freehold show is when he dedicates "Joad" to Sister Charles Marie who taught him about kindness. It's very quick, but there's something very humane and important about it. Like, today's the 42nd anniversary of a show where at one point he talks about getting sent home from school for pissing in his desk, so in a way that Sister must have really helped him grow as a person and done a really good job of it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Oh… you mean, uh, you don’t give any change in the bar, or, the whole community got together and said like “fuck ’em when they come through here no more change!”?” - That kills me every time. 

I think my favourite intro in the Freehold show is when he dedicates "Joad" to Sister Charles Marie who taught him about kindness. It's very quick, but there's something very humane and important about it. Like, today's the 42nd anniversary of a show where at one point he talks about getting sent home from school for pissing in his desk, so in a way that Sister must have really helped him grow as a person and done a really good job of it. 

That's Growin' Up during the Cleveland '78 radio broadcast right ?

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I love it how you connect those two together. Brilliant! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BossfanNL said:

I love it how you connect those two together. Brilliant! 

It's one of the joys of the Archive Series for me, being able to listen to a monologue or a song from one era and notice its similarities to something from another. 

• Love Love Love! 1

1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Most certainly is, the 'Teenage Werewolf' is 42 years young today!

As I have still a lot to listen to, was that werewolf story used more often and then I specify mean during the '80s or beyond?