Greasy Lake Community

Bruce the storyteller

1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's one of the joys of the Archive Series for me, being able to listen to a monologue or a song from one era and notice its similarities to something from another. 

You call it 'joy', I call it a gift. A gift that brings 'joy' to me as I really love that and now I have to buy a 1996 concert to hear it for myself ^_^

• Bruuuuce! 1

5 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

As I have still a lot to listen to, was that werewolf story used more often and then I specify mean during the '80s or beyond? 

I don't know of it being used during the 80s (more knowledgeable posters *COUGH @Lampi COUGH* could probably confirm) but Brucebase doesn't show any record it being said from 1980 - 1985.

5 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

You call it 'joy', I call it a gift. A gift that brings 'joy' to me as I really love that and now I have to buy a 1996 concert to hear it for myself ^_^

Well said. And I'd say you're in a for treat. The three shows from the tour are similar, but uniquely different, so you're likely to enjoy whatever one you get. 

• Love Love Love! 1

7 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Pretty Flamingo from East Rutherford, August 30th, 2016 with the diner and 'NO MUSTARD' story. 

I was at that show!!  Was a fantastic story indeed (no surprise; I love all his stories!!) 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

6 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

I hope this hasn't been discussed already. Personally I love Bruce the storyteller. He is a captivating  speaker and I really love how certain stories change and evolve during tours. What is your favorite storytelling Bruce song (Growin' Up, Glory Days, Pretty Flamingo, Pink Cadillac) and which variation (for example: Growin' Up  - bear, spaceman, guitar, teenage wolve, meeting Clarence). 

My 2 personal favorites are: 

- Pink Cadillac with the 'God' creating everything story (I also like the getaway car version)

- Pretty Flamingo from East Rutherford, August 30th, 2016 with the diner and 'NO MUSTARD' story. 

Im sure almost everything has been discussed multible times about every conceivable Bruce topic :(

But that's more than all right with me 

What got me back into Bruce was his story telling

I had no idea in 1984 beyond that one record 

Many many years latter - like in a different centuary i was working away with the radio on

You know how radio stations are all too often lazy and play the same things day after day

Well the usually awful station or what ever they paid for at work was playing the river at least once a day

I instantly knew the voice but not the song

The story was like county music - i have listened to a lot of country music over my lifetime

I remember talking to my friend at work and she said this is the saddest song i ever heard

I got to thinking

Wow ! This is Bruce Springsteen 

What an amazing story

What else does he sing about ?

....and here i am ! 

His story telling is why im here

The pictures he paints and fills with the stories of normal usually relatable people

This is the one Bruce song Gary loves *(it honeatly could almost be word for word about his marrage to the kid's mother)

But of course the best thing about that song is the people its really about are still married

* of course he is convinced there is another version out there not sung by 'gravel guts'

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Thank you. Feel a little embarrassed now.  

Don't be

I completly misinterpreted your thread and im just ploughing on through :lol:

• Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, whispered secret said:

No need to feel embarrassed- someone who has been a fan for many years asked me the same thing a few weeks ago.:)

Not a verified fan then

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Don't be

I completly misinterpreted your thread and im just ploughing on through :lol:

Still, I love your contribution :D

• Bruuuuce! 1

58 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

As I have still a lot to listen to, was that werewolf story used more often and then I specify mean during the '80s or beyond? 

The werewolf story was used more than once, only in 1978.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some honourable mentions:

The stories before Independence Day in 1980-1981.

Pretty Flamingo, Roxy 17 October 1975 (the radio broadcast show), considered the definitieve version of Pretty Flamingo.

The E-Street Shuffle in 1975, the stories about meeting Clarence.

Johnny Bye Bye, about Elvis, in 1981 and BUSA Tour.

Edit: and Christic Institute. And Mountain View 1986 ('Are you..are you...are you that rock 'n roll singer?).'(before Darlington County).

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

6 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Some honourable mentions:

The stories before Independence Day in 1980-1981.

Pretty Flamingo, Roxy 17 October 1975 (the radio broadcast show), considered the definitieve version of Pretty Flamingo.

The E-Street Shuffle in 1975, the stories about meeting Clarence.

Johnny Bye Bye, about Elvis, in 1981 and BUSA Tour.

Not sure if I have that October 75 version of Pretty Flamingo. I do have the December 31st one and love that one, including the story, very much. Will check when I get up in the morning.

1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

Still, I love your contribution :D

Thank you

I used to watch the video anthony wishing i was that girl in the audience from the river (no nukes) wishing but never knowing how i was ever going to get to see Bruce Springsteen for real

I may have cried when he played the river at my first show in Moncton

I may have also tried to ring Gary so he could listen (no signal - probably just as well)

Back to your topic

I like the true stories

The one's about his Dad

I had a really hard time getting the live box set

Sony/ the promoters used to use this like Ikea map that left NZ completly off :angry:and i had to import it and the exchange rate fluctuates from bad to unaffordable here plus postage is horrendous

But it was totally worth the wait and the exspensive as when i finally got it i just loved that story about the draft board and his dad saying it was good he got rejected (fly in eye)

Gary - who is only a few years shy of Bruce, said growing up with the Vietnam war looming over your head is really scary

Lucky for him in NZ it was only volunteers and regular force who got sent to Vietnam - too many young American boys aren't so fortunate 

• Love Love Love! 1

22 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Not sure if I have that October 75 version of Pretty Flamingo.

The official released show in the Archive Series is from 18 October (early show). Thunder Road on Live 1975-85 is from this show.

The 17 October show (early show) was the radio broadcast.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lampi said:

The official released show in the Archive Series is from 18 October (early show). Thunder Road on Live 1975-85 is from this show.

The 17 October show (early show) was the radio broadcast.

You are our encylopoadia of Bruce Springsteen

Much more reliable than wiki

640px-Enclib.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Breakaway said:

I'm Johanna and I'm a Bruceaholic.

Back in the day I spent countless hours writing down the stories Bruce told during shows. There are so, so many great ones....

http://brucebase.wikidot.com/storyteller

I remember when I first found brucebase and all the stories archived there. My thanks to you and all who assisted. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Breakaway said:

I'm Johanna and I'm a Bruceaholic.

Back in the day I spent countless hours writing down the stories Bruce told during shows. There are so, so many great ones....

http://brucebase.wikidot.com/storyteller

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are really the heart of Brucebase and then from 2010 you did disappear into the night. And the Bruce community has been suffering since, no stories anymore. Glad you are still here!

A few of the Stories brucebase are from me, but I find it not that easy, there is always that distortion, that weird word you can not bring home. I have used your Stories sooooooooo many times on the forum, for friends, ...

All those different long stories from Growin' Up, Pink Cadillac and especially Spare Parts on the Tunnel tour. Soooo looooong, sooo fascinating. Thanks again

• Like 2

I never get tired of the "man-eating bears" footage from Growin' Up in LA 1985. Yes it's a bit corny but it's making use of these huge stages to bring something theatrical to a rock show. Who else was doing that then? Who's doing it these days?

Love the little subtle touches like the bear wearing the LAPD cap. And if I remember right it's Barbara Carr of JLM playing the gypsy lady, isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's one of the joys of the Archive Series for me, being able to listen to a monologue or a song from one era and notice its similarities to something from another. 

Yes, it's fascinating to hear echoes of what eventually became the Broadway show already appearing in the stories from the 1980 to 1985 period, if not earlier

• Like 4

I have always loved Bruce's storytelling especially the River story from Live 75-85 and the Goddam Guitar story from the Roxy in 78. One of my other favorites is the story from Growin Up about how he bought his guitar from 9/14/16  from Foxborough MA especially since I was there and I finally heard him tell a story before a song.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Great thread! I have always been a big fan of Bruce's storytelling. In my twenties I was inspired enough to make a picture of the werewolf story. I even made it into a T-shirt for myself back then. Slightly clumsy fan art, I know, but I'm not too embarrassed to include it here. :lol:

Werewolf.png

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, JKo said:

Great thread! I have always been a big fan of Bruce's storytelling. In my twenties I was inspired enough to make a picture of the werewolf story. I even made it into a T-shirt for myself back then. Slightly clumsy fan art, I know, but I'm not too embarrassed to include it here. :lol:

Werewolf.png

That's really very cool! 

• Like 1