Greasy Lake Community

Bruce the storyteller

Besides the previously mentioned Growin' Up story from the 78 Agora show (which is my absolute favorite), this one is a close second for me, the intro to It's My Life on the Chicken Scratch tour....

It's My Life

04.11.76 New York City, NY, intro to ‘It’s My Life’:
”The man who wrote this next song is in the audience tonight, Carl D’Errico…..I was listening to this when I came up here…..this is for you, Carl….and your wife….one two, three,four…..I grew up in this small town about twenty miles…..twenty miles in….inland…..I remember it was in this…..this dumpy two-story two-family house…..next door to this gas-station…..and…..and my mom, she……she was a secretary…..and she worked downtown……and ….my pop, I remember she married my pop ‘soon as he got out of the army, they got married and she took that job….and my father….he worked a lotta different place….he worked in a rugmill for a while …..drove a cab for a while and…..worked, he was a guard down at the jail….for a while, I remember when he worked down there, he used to always come home…..real pissed off……drunk…..sit in the kitchen…..at night nine o’clock he used to shut off all the light…..every light in the house…..and he used to get real pissed off if me or my sister turned, turned any of ‘em on, he’d sit in the kitchen with a six-pack and cigarettes…..and my mom, she would set her hair…..and then she would…..come downstairs and just turn on the TV…..and sit in the chair….and watch TV till she fell asleep….and she’d get up the next morning and go to work again…..and my pop, sometimes he went to bed, sometimes he didn’t, sometimes he got up…..sometimes he didn’t get up…..and…..I used to sleep upstairs…..and I used to pull, in the summertime, when the weather got hot….I used to drag my mattress out the window…..and sleep on the roof…..next door to the gas-station…..and I’d watch these different guys, the gas-station closed at one, and these guys they’d be pulling in and pulling out all night long….they’d be meeting people there…..they’d be ripping off down the highway…..and since I hit sixteen, me and my buddy, we got this car…..and we started taking off….. we used to take off down to the beach and sleep on……sleep on top of the beach houses…..we used to spin up to the city…..just walk around the streets all night long…..till the cops’d catch us in Port Authority and call our pops, my pop, he’d never come and get me, I remember he’d always send my mother…..everytime I got in trouble, my mother’d come down, she’d always say ‘Your father, he didn’t even wanna come’…..and…..and I used to always have to go back home and when I…..I’d stand there in that driveway…..afraid to go in the house and I could see…..through this screendoor, I could see the light of my pop’s cigarette and I can remember, I just couldn’t wait till I was old enough…..to take him out once…..but….. I just slicked my hair back real tight….so he couldn’t tell how long it was getting…..and try to sneak through the kitchen….but the old man, he’d catch me every night and drag me back into that kitchen, he’d make me sit down at that table in the dark……and he would sit there telling me and in the wintertime, he used to…..he used to turn on the gas-stove so…..and close all the doors so it got real hot in there …..and I remember just sitting in the dark…..with him telling me, telling me, telling me…..and I could always hear that voice….no matter how long I sat there…..I could never ever see his face……we’d start talking about nothing much…..how I was doin’….pretty soon….he’d ask me what I thought I was doing with myself…..and we’d always end up screaming at each other…..my mother, she’d always end up running from the frontroom crying….and trying to pull him off me…..trying to keep us from fighting with each other……and I’d always end up…..I’d always end up running out the backdoor, pulling away from him…..pulling away from, running down the driveway screaming at him….telling him….telling him….telling him…..how it was my life…..and I was gonna do what I wanted to do……”

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3

There's half a dozen or so future songs (Indy Day, Adam, etc etc), more refined future song intros (Indy Day and Factory in 80/81, The River from 85) and large parts of a future book and Broadway show all simmering away in that one story.

It's a fascinating journey listening to how Bruce's perspective on this relationship changes and grows with age and understanding, and it's largely all there in the songs and stories he continues to tell

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

There's half a dozen or so future songs (Indy Day, Adam, etc etc), more refined future song intros (Indy Day and Factory in 80/81, The River from 85) and large parts of a future book and Broadway show all simmering away in that one story.

It's a fascinating journey listening to how Bruce's perspective on this relationship changes and grows with age and understanding, and it's largely all there in the songs and stories he continues to tell

Yes, I love how the stories evolve and change. 

2 hours ago, gsquare said:

Besides the previously mentioned Growin' Up story from the 78 Agora show (which is my absolute favorite), this one is a close second for me, the intro to It's My Life on the Chicken Scratch tour....

It's My Life

04.11.76 New York City, NY, intro to ‘It’s My Life’:
”The man who wrote this next song is in the audience tonight, Carl D’Errico…..I was listening to this when I came up here…..this is for you, Carl….and your wife….one two, three,four…..I grew up in this small town about twenty miles…..twenty miles in….inland…..I remember it was in this…..this dumpy two-story two-family house…..next door to this gas-station…..and…..and my mom, she……she was a secretary…..and she worked downtown……and ….my pop, I remember she married my pop ‘soon as he got out of the army, they got married and she took that job….and my father….he worked a lotta different place….he worked in a rugmill for a while …..drove a cab for a while and…..worked, he was a guard down at the jail….for a while, I remember when he worked down there, he used to always come home…..real pissed off……drunk…..sit in the kitchen…..at night nine o’clock he used to shut off all the light…..every light in the house…..and he used to get real pissed off if me or my sister turned, turned any of ‘em on, he’d sit in the kitchen with a six-pack and cigarettes…..and my mom, she would set her hair…..and then she would…..come downstairs and just turn on the TV…..and sit in the chair….and watch TV till she fell asleep….and she’d get up the next morning and go to work again…..and my pop, sometimes he went to bed, sometimes he didn’t, sometimes he got up…..sometimes he didn’t get up…..and…..I used to sleep upstairs…..and I used to pull, in the summertime, when the weather got hot….I used to drag my mattress out the window…..and sleep on the roof…..next door to the gas-station…..and I’d watch these different guys, the gas-station closed at one, and these guys they’d be pulling in and pulling out all night long….they’d be meeting people there…..they’d be ripping off down the highway…..and since I hit sixteen, me and my buddy, we got this car…..and we started taking off….. we used to take off down to the beach and sleep on……sleep on top of the beach houses…..we used to spin up to the city…..just walk around the streets all night long…..till the cops’d catch us in Port Authority and call our pops, my pop, he’d never come and get me, I remember he’d always send my mother…..everytime I got in trouble, my mother’d come down, she’d always say ‘Your father, he didn’t even wanna come’…..and…..and I used to always have to go back home and when I…..I’d stand there in that driveway…..afraid to go in the house and I could see…..through this screendoor, I could see the light of my pop’s cigarette and I can remember, I just couldn’t wait till I was old enough…..to take him out once…..but….. I just slicked my hair back real tight….so he couldn’t tell how long it was getting…..and try to sneak through the kitchen….but the old man, he’d catch me every night and drag me back into that kitchen, he’d make me sit down at that table in the dark……and he would sit there telling me and in the wintertime, he used to…..he used to turn on the gas-stove so…..and close all the doors so it got real hot in there …..and I remember just sitting in the dark…..with him telling me, telling me, telling me…..and I could always hear that voice….no matter how long I sat there…..I could never ever see his face……we’d start talking about nothing much…..how I was doin’….pretty soon….he’d ask me what I thought I was doing with myself…..and we’d always end up screaming at each other…..my mother, she’d always end up running from the frontroom crying….and trying to pull him off me…..trying to keep us from fighting with each other……and I’d always end up…..I’d always end up running out the backdoor, pulling away from him…..pulling away from, running down the driveway screaming at him….telling him….telling him….telling him…..how it was my life…..and I was gonna do what I wanted to do……”

Impressive typing that out. Thank you very much! 

29 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

and that continues right through to the river 16 tour in some of those (to me) earth shattering interludes where he talks about his parents and how amoung other things is that born to run is about his mum and dad escaping, not nearly as long as those earlier stories but just as relevant to the journey 

listening to those shows i could not sleep afterwards thinking about what he'd said

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

Impressive typing that out. Thank you very much! 

:D  Wish I could take credit for that, but it's a cut and paste from the Brucebase site.  Thanks to Breakaway (page 2 of the thread), she's the star who put in the time and effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gsquare said:

:D  Wish I could take credit for that, but it's a cut and paste from the Brucebase site.  Thanks to Breakaway (page 2 of the thread), she's the star who put in the time and effort.

i once tried to write one out.

its hard work

she definatly deserves a round of applause from me 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1