Greasy Lake Community

Patti Scialfa on Quarantine Life in New Jersey, Writing Music for Teen Drama ‘Pearl’

5 hours ago, Silvia said:

I wasn't talking about gender bias, I explicitly wrote regardless of the gender in my post. Daisey was the one who pointed out earlier that he, as a major breadwinner, was supposed to have a superior role. Until Dan's post nobody was even talking about his musical expertise, we weren't discussing if that damn song really needed that solo, or not.

Oh...Well, I fucked that up then. My bad.

5 hours ago, Silvia said:

If his wife tells him that she doesn't want a solo in her song, and he won't take no for an answer, doesn't this make you feel a bit uncomfortable? 

mmmm...well, not if it's Bruce Springsteen because.......well....he's Bruce Springsteen.

12 minutes ago, JustDan said:

mmmm...well, not if it's Bruce Springsteen because.......well....he's Bruce Springsteen.

Ok, let me amend this response as it does seem pejorative and simplistic....If you were trying to solve a mathematical equation your way, and your husband/significant other/family member/friend, who is an expert mathematician came along and told you there's a better way to solve the equation, would you tell him/her "thanks, but no thanks"?....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Silvia said:

The idea that whoever makes more money calls the shots in the relationship is something I can't agree with, regardless of the gender. 

According to this logic the one who earns less can never make a progress,  because she (usually) ends up constantly yielding to the needs of the breadwinner (usually the male).

That said, some women like to play the supporting role... 

I think the bread winner argument is a lousy one. But Bruce having first shot at using the home studio is a given in my book. The reason for that is that Bruce is a song writer and an artist in several leagues above Patti's. It has nothing to do with sex or gender or who's paid for the studio. It's like "We have only ink enough to print one book - a new play by Shakespeare or the diary of Hathaway?":P

• Like 3

4 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Patti says she's a bit high risk because of something in her health. Wonder what it is?

hopefully its something easierly managed and just age related and doesn't effecf her quality of life in the slightest

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustDan said:

Ok, let me amend this response as it does seem pejorative and simplistic....If you were trying to solve a mathematical equation your way, and your husband/significant other/family member/friend, who is an expert mathematician came along and told you there's a better way to solve the equation, would you tell him/her "thanks, but no thanks"?....

Probably yes. I usually do it my way, even if it's the wrong way. Each time a lesson learned.

But I do take full responsibility for my mistakes. :)

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I tell my wife everyday I don’t want to do something. I always end up doing it though!

This might only be problematic in case she is earning more money than you. :D

If not, it's just normal marriage behavior.

I wonder if Bruce cut Patti's hair ?

I wonder if any wife/girlfriend in the lockdown anywhere in the world let her husband/partner cut her hair?

Here's how the conversation might have went..

Patti ... " my hair is a mess..i need my hairdresser, I need to feel alive, i need to feel normal, my poor hair needs attention, please please end this lockdown now"

Bruce..." I can help sweetie, let me cut if for you my beautiful redheaded women"

Patti...."come near me with those scissors and you will be singing falsetto for the rest of your life..I don't care how much you earn, you are not the Boss of my hair...now fuck off and write some songs"

Patti 1 Bruce 0

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...