Greasy Lake Community

Atlantic City Preference  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Album Version
    • Acoustic Live
    • Electric Live

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/20/2020 at 07:20 PM

Electric live - which  how I feel about all the Nebraska songs. Not enough light and shade in the original versions which let's be honest are a set of demo recordings and for me often cross the line into plain old boring - like most acoustic music

I have a slight preference for the Seeger Sessions version because it felt like such a radical departure from the album version in feeling. Not quite so desperate.

So that’s an acoustic vote ;)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

I have a slight preference for the Seeger Sessions version because it felt like such a radical departure from the album version in feeling. Not quite so desperate.

So that’s an acoustic vote ;)

I love this one, it sounds a bit like High Hopes to me

• Like 1

This is without a doubt my favorite version. The passion of the live show and his voice for this song on this show is the one that best reflects his spirit for me.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

This Atlantic City song has an exciting muscial history expressing the true musicianship of Bruce Springsteen: original acoustic solo, electric E-Street, solo acoustic Christic, electric Other Band, Seeger Sessions band.

I was wondering how an Western Stars version should sound. Maybe something like this with some typical Western Stars strings added:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Previous post showing again Nebraska songs are the most popular songs for other artists to cover (and I'm On Fire and Dancing In The Dark).

Bruce Springsteen's most influential album on other artists.

Most covered Nebraska songs are probably Atlantic City and State Trooper.

10 hours ago, Lampi said:

Previous post showing again Nebraska songs are the most popular songs for other artists to cover (and I'm On Fire and Dancing In The Dark).

Bruce Springsteen's most influential album on other artists.

Most covered Nebraska songs are probably Atlantic City and State Trooper.

Isn’t Because the Night one of his most covered as well? I seem to remember terrible disco versions. So it might just be his most easily butchered......

9 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

That was a nice cover @el sergio. Remember this one? One of my favorite covers.

That piano cover of Ed Harcourt feels too frantic. But that is maybe the thing he wants to achieve, to highlight the desperate nature of this song ... but I guess this might be a likely candidate for the "From His Home To Yours" radio since Bruce already has aired some radical covers of his own songs which fit the narrative of the emission.

Regarding the piano version, I still like the Springsteen version more. This one from Love, Tears & Mystery - The Definitive Devils & Dust Tour Compilation Flynn compilation

D10-T07-Atlantic City (Piano) (2005-11-04).mp3

• Thanks 1

Album First, then acoustic.  The full band version has too much music in it and overpowers the song. One of the few times I don’t prefer the live version of a Bruce song. 

• Like 1

Dublin Live, Nebraska, Rest.

Top 3 Bruce tune for me! Before I go out for the night with my wife I always utter!

"Put your make up on, fix your hair up pretty"

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Harry42 said:

Dublin Live, Nebraska, Rest.

Top 3 Bruce tune for me! Before I go out for the night with my wife I always utter!

"Put your make up on, fix your hair up pretty"

It's interesting that in the next verse, he's no longer interested in her looks but is advising her to put some stockings on so she won't get cold. He shifts from observing her appearance to considering her well-being. I always thought this was nice. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
On 8/16/2020 at 2:21 AM, 65pacecar said:

Album First, then acoustic.  The full band version has too much music in it and overpowers the song. One of the few times I don’t prefer the live version of a Bruce song. 

IMO the unique atmosphere of the Nebraska recordings makes them almost impossible to beat.  The only live version of any of them that beats the studio version, is My Father's House at Christic.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1