Greasy Lake Community

UFO bassist died yesterday, three band members gone in just over a year.

Seems he was seriously injured in an accident recently and never recovered.

My youth just keeps on disappearing.

RIP fella

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Ninethumbs said:

Jeez. He lived a hard life of his own making but I'm still shocked.

RIP Pete.

I'd heard a number of years ago he was on borrowed time (fucked up liver mebbe?) but the seemed to come through that only to be seen off by a car crash.

That was a band that seemed to live life pretty large.

His autobiography is a good read especially for a fan of UFO.  It's a familiar tale of boy forms band, works hard  finds success, leads to excess but with the "volume turned up to eleven".

2 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

His autobiography is a good read especially for a fan of UFO.  It's a familiar tale of boy forms band, works hard  finds success, leads to excess but with the "volume turned up to eleven".

I think that's how I'd have done it were I blessed of a modicum of musical talent.

Sad to hear today of the death aged 69 of another one of my rock heroes Pete Way, founder member and bassist of UFO. The first band I ever went to see in concert in 1980 when I was 15. Saw them a few times after that as well. Way is the third member of the classic UFO line-up to die in the space of a year.

He was some guy. Hugely charismatic on stage, always had his bass guitar slung down almost to his knees, and a great bass player as well. They were one of the best rock bands I ever seen live, and recorded my favourite ever rock live album Strangers in the Night in 1979.

RIP Pete and thanks for the memories.