Greasy Lake Community

A moment the internet can't shut up about

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As for a Bruce moment that's held in similar regard by both us mad lot and the general public, I've gotta go for this one. I've said before but I do think it's the moment from this century where a lot

There's a thread trending on this very site that may qualify

Almost 89 MILLION views on that video. That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Ever so often that outerwordly insane Prince solo pops up in an Social Media news item. Does Bruce have one of those moments that keeps getting recycled?

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/prince-beatles-george-harrison-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo/

That is one of my all-time favourite musical moments - it is absolute magic and the greatest recorded solo of all time (in my opinion). I'm sure I read that he didn't show up to any practices and that one of the other guitarists was going to take the outro solo, and then Prince showed up for the performance and knocked it out of the park

As far as Bruce is concerned, maybe the Passaic Prove It All Night solo? I think its difficult to compare Bruce and Prince because the latter was such a renowned virtuoso 

• Like 1

Bruce was and still is a hugely underrated guitarist, some of his guitar work especially on the earlier albums is fabulous. In concert you can hear how good he is....the outro on the Nassau version of Incident is a case in point.

Prince however was one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time, and he could play many instruments to a very high standard.

• Like 3

Easy to forget Bruce was world-famous in New Jersey in the late 60s and early 70s (pre-Greetings) as a guitar player, not as a singer or a singer-songwriter.

Is this not a sort of apples and oranges? The advert for a new drummer [and a new piano player too] with the addition 'no Ginger Bakers' maybe says it all.

• Like 2

As for a Bruce moment that's held in similar regard by both us mad lot and the general public, I've gotta go for this one. I've said before but I do think it's the moment from this century where a lot of people who didn't know, get, or care what Springsteen and The E Street Band were about really sat up and said "this guy isn't half bad!"

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2
27 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

As for a Bruce moment that's held in similar regard by both us mad lot and the general public, I've gotta go for this one. I've said before but I do think it's the moment from this century where a lot of people who didn't know, get, or care what Springsteen and The E Street Band were about really sat up and said "this guy isn't half bad!"

Yeah, that’s a good one. I see that one popping up my feeds regularly 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Agree with you on this one Paolo-San. People who know I love Bruce but aren't fans messaged me or sent me this link saying things like 'You have to watch this, it's brilliant!'

Well, yes, it's oviaas.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

This is the most iconic Springsteen moment. This video exemplifies all the excitement of a Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street band live experience 

On 8 July 1978 the first Bruce Springsteen video was shot. This is the live footage of ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT), first shot on 35mm film by director Arnold Levine - during the show at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix, Arizona, in the Darkness on the Edge of Town Tour - then cleaned up and inserted in the documentary Heroes of Rock and Roll, directed by Malcolm Leo and narrated by Jeff Bridges. The documentary arrived to the general public in prime time on February 9, 1979 on ABC-TV, with such success in terms of criticism and interest as to convince the same broadcaster - and this time also other overseas television networks - to send the film back in rotation several times in the same year

Until then there were no official films of Springsteen: no video had ever passed through American or foreign television networks. On the other hand, at the dawn of the era of music videos, CBS sensed that a video could prove to be an excellent marketing tool and decided to extrapolate ROSALITA from the documentary to make a promotional video clip. The first musical television broadcast  as a real video clip was, in March 1979 on the famous Countdown TV in Australia directed by Molly Meldrum. From then until the early 1980s, in the absence of any other Springsteen video clips, Meldrum obsessively replayed that video many, many more times. The same happened in Europe on the main television music channels until May 16, 1984, it finally arrived on MTV. To increase the curiosity and popularity of the music video in Europe, CBS released that version of the piece as a single in 1979 in the Netherlands and on two EPs in the UK, in 1981 and 1985. ROSALITA's music video, which occupies 71 N ° place in the 1993 Rolling Stone chart of “The Top 100 Music Videos”, was re-released in the Video Anthology 1978-1988 (VHS) in 1989 and in an unreleased version in the Thrill Hill Vault 1976-1978 (DVD) of 2010. (thanks to www.pinkcadillacmusic.it)

Bruce Springsteen Doc to Feature Fans who Rushed the Stage During 1978 Darkness Tour Rosalita Performance

http://www.thelightindarkness.com/darkness/bruce-springsteen-doc-to-feature-fans-who-rushed-the-stage-during-1978-darkness-tour-rosalita-performance/

• Love Love Love! 1

Magical stuff, but for me, nothing will ever beat Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb on the Pulse DVD.

As for Bruce, the No Nukes clip of Quarter To Three on the night that he lost his head is always a go-to clip.

• Like 1
  • Hug 1
12 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Magical stuff, but for me, nothing will ever beat Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb on the Pulse DVD.

I'm not much of a Floyd fan, so I don't think I've ever actually seen this. I do like "Comfortably Numb" though so I'll be sure to check it out. Cheers. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

As for Bruce, the No Nukes clip of Quarter To Three on the night that he lost his head is always a go-to clip.

Or Quarter To Three from Largo 1978 (but nothing wrong with QTT from No Nukes of course).

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

that doesn't have even a whisker on Kitty

the horn section just doesn't rock my world 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Ever so often that outerwordly insane Prince solo pops up in an Social Media news item. Does Bruce have one of those moments that keeps getting recycled?

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/prince-beatles-george-harrison-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo/

that was most enjoyable, i havn't seen it before

im not a Prince fan but i respect his talent emencely and i have thoughrly enjoyed all of his guitar solos i have seen on u tube and he is a rather interesting and flamboyant individual

this clip just goes to show you can never have too many guitars on stage ! 

i feel sad George Harrison was not inducted into the R&RHoF when he was still alive 

how sad that both Tom Petty and Prince and George Harrison are all no longer with us :(

those guys were ment to live forever like Mick and Keith

well maybe not Prince, but he deserved a more spectacular death than to die along in a lift after an accidental (on his part) drug overdose :(

The Prince clip increases in its legend because of the people hes on stage with, and the event its performed at. Its genius, but the genius is heightened by the stage its performed on. The swagger is untouchable.  To try and compare a Bruce performance with his band versus that Prince moment with those legends beside him is not the same. 

That Prince moment always reminds me of the famous Clapton quote when asked what is it like to be the greatest guitarist of all time,  his response,  "I don't know,  ask Prince".

• Like 2

Boy you talk about an overrated guitar solo ever?

No one here think maybe someone name Bruce could pull that off. How about Nils or even Steve. What about Commie Tommy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

No one here think maybe someone name Bruce could pull that off. How about Nils or even Steve. What about Commie Tommy?

Nils yes, Bruce with practice yes

Steve is lots of fun 

but Prince's solos excite my  ears and make my heart race and make me smile in a way Tommy never ever will 

i don't see/ hear Prince and want to attach his guitar strings with scissors 

i really wish i had understood how great Prince was when he was still with us.

he seemed an amazing showman and if Claptout said he's the best he must be pretty good

but as far as a spectacle i much prefer black & white night - featuring some Prince and some Bruce

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that was most enjoyable, i havn't seen it before

im not a Prince fan but i respect his talent emencely and i have thoughrly enjoyed all of his guitar solos i have seen on u tube and he is a rather interesting and flamboyant individual

this clip just goes to show you can never have too many guitars on stage ! 

i feel sad George Harrison was not inducted into the R&RHoF when he was still alive 

how sad that both Tom Petty and Prince and George Harrison are all no longer with us :(

those guys were ment to live forever like Mick and Keith

well maybe not Prince, but he deserved a more spectacular death than to die along in a lift after an accidental (on his part) drug overdose :(

Watch it again and try to figure out where his guitar goes at the end ;) It is one of life’s great mysteries.....

@THUE I didn’t want to compare a regular Springsteen moment to this one. I was just wondering if there’s a moment Springsteen has that keeps popping up on social media regularly years after the fact.

I’m not an objective party, but an average Springsteen show is still epic to me, even without any other legendary players :D Though it does add to the status of that video that Prince leaves them all miles behind with that solo and the ease he plays with!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

As a guitarist myself I'll respectively disagree - I don't think anyone but Prince could pull off that solo with that level of showmanship

• Like 2

So it's a great guitar solo because of his showmanship? 

I believe everyone does get caught up in that part of the performance. Alex Lifeson could also pull that solo, without all the dancing. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

So it's a great guitar solo because of his showmanship? 

I believe everyone does get caught up in that part of the performance. Alex Lifeson could also pull that solo, without all the dancing. 

Have you seen the finger work :blink: Or are we watching a different video?

I could understand when you would say that it’s not your style. I care very little for the Joe Satriani’s of this world, but I wouldn’t dare deny his ability.

• Like 2