Greasy Lake Community

A moment the internet can't shut up about

No, That's really all I'm saying, the solo is great. But this legendary level? It's no different then a lot of other solos I've seen before. Besides all the moves.

Let me ask this, I don't know the history of this video. Was this video big before he passed away? 

• Like 2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As for a Bruce moment that's held in similar regard by both us mad lot and the general public, I've gotta go for this one. I've said before but I do think it's the moment from this century where a lot

There's a thread trending on this very site that may qualify

Almost 89 MILLION views on that video. That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

No, That's really all I'm saying, the solo is great. But this legendary level? It's no different then a lot of other solos I've seen before. Besides all the moves.

Let me ask this, I don't know the history of this video. Was this video big before he passed away? 

It's been viral before and since I believe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

So it's a great guitar solo because of his showmanship? 

I believe everyone does get caught up in that part of the performance. Alex Lifeson could also pull that solo, without all the dancing. 

Prince is the 2nd best guitarist of all time, right behind Father Jimi. Now please...

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

image.png.d17c1f1369002e62e204508027119ad1.png

Y'know JJ, when you respond with a simple laughing emoji like that, it means you're just trying to save face cuz in reality, you got nothing to actually respond with, but hey...:lol:

12 minutes ago, JustDan said:

image.png.d17c1f1369002e62e204508027119ad1.png

Y'know JJ, when you respond with a simple laughing emoji like that, it means you're just trying to save face cuz in reality, you got nothing to actually respond with, but hey...:lol:

Oh really! :D, If you want to watch some finger work, watch this in full.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Prince is the 2nd best guitarist of all time, right behind Father Jimi. Now please...

Nah. SRV is a way better player than Prince.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Oh really! :D, If you want to watch some finger work, watch this in full.

Nope....Not as good.

• Hug 1
5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

So it's a great guitar solo because of his showmanship? 

I believe everyone does get caught up in that part of the performance. Alex Lifeson could also pull that solo, without all the dancing. 

In a way, yes absolutely - it’s a rock n roll solo, and rock n roll loves a bit of showmanship. I don’t disagree that others could play that solo note for note, and there are certainly better recorded solos out there, but it wouldn’t have been as entertaining as Prince’s was - a great guitar solo needs to entertain at the end of the day, and there were few better entertainers than Prince.

For example, I have guitarist friends who can’t stand Clapton because they think he is a boring performer. It’s very shallow, yes, but I can see where they’re coming from - heck I wouldn’t have spent the money I’ve spent to see Bruce in the past were he not such a fantastic entertainer!

• Like 2

Its a great solo, its heightened by who is playing with. Are there better solos, that's of course a matter of taste and its objective. There is no answer. 

The solo is a "moment". A legendary moment, by a legend playing with legends at a night to honor legends. His passing not far after adds to that too. 

I also think a lot of rockers, fans where not aware of his chops. 

This solo and scenario reminds me much of the moment Aretha Franklin sang Nature Woman at the Kennedy Centers in tribute to Carol King, in front the of the President. Now that's a video moment.

It all added too and heightened an already historic type occasion. 

To find a Bruce moment like this, I think you need to find a more "public" moment. Opening of the MTV awards in NY, performing the Rising in the Rian. That was pretty damn cool. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
2 minutes ago, THUE said:

also think a lot of rockers, fans where not aware of his chops. 

That's me, I had no idea. 

3 minutes ago, THUE said:

This solo and scenario reminds me much of the moment Aretha Franklin sang Nature Woman at the Kennedy Centers in tribute to Carol King, in front the of the President. Now that's a video moment.

Have you seen Heart do Stairway to Heaven, in front of Led Zeppelin and the President. Brought Plant to tears.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Have you seen Heart do Stairway to Heaven, in front of Led Zeppelin and the President. Brought Plant to tears.

Epic

31 minutes ago, THUE said:

To find a Bruce moment like this, I think you need to find a more "public" moment. Opening of the MTV awards in NY, performing the Rising in the Rian. That was pretty damn cool. 

That was epic! I seem to remember a rousing Ramrod from that same show, but can’t find it back. Just the Rising one. Maybe something he could add to his video library one day.

https://youtu.be/Q0ZLCcHwRjI

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Near the end of his career he worked with an all female Rock band. Even thought his albums were more miss than hit most of the times starting from the nineties, live he was a force to be reckoned with. I understand the mutual admiration he and Bruce had of each other. His command of his band and the audience was awesome, literally. Awesome is a word that’s been devalued, but his royal badness and the Boss deserve the use of it.

Though I admire what he was going for here, the second night of the Montreux stand really blows my mind. That’s the real master class in performing and band direction.

I watched a Prince show from the Lovesexy tour back-to-back with Largo '78. Maybe unfair to compare those two shows/eras, but still... the Prince show was absolutely amazing, so tight, truly an event. Better than Largo? Yes, and no. Prince and the band were musically miles better than Bruce and the boys, but Bruce was untouchable when it came to the execution of the show, incorporating the audience, the story telling.

On a side note, I watched the final night of the Amnesty tour the other night. Twist and Shout. I'd forgotten how good that was, Bruce was really in total command by that stage, THE bandleader, commanding an audience that had never seen him before. Awe-inspiring. And I've always thought that by 1988, Bruce and the band were on the same level as Prince was in concert - 1988 also being the year Prince toured behind the Lovesexy album. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Prince and the band were musically miles better than Bruce and the boys, but Bruce was untouchable when it came to the execution of the show, incorporating the audience, the story telling

This, pretty much. Didn't Bruce say himself in 2016 that nobody has been on the level of Prince as a guitarist?

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

This, pretty much. Didn't Bruce say himself in 2016 that nobody has been on the level of Prince as a guitarist?

Not sure about Bruce but I know Prince is the “guitarists‘ guitarist’” because so many famous players admire him - Clapton at his peak was once asked how it felt to be the greatest guitar player alive, he responded by saying something like “I don’t know, ask Prince”

I love and miss Prince a great deal - one of the most gifted musicians and the hardest working artist in music

• Like 2
On 8/16/2020 at 10:48 PM, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Ever so often that outerwordly insane Prince solo pops up in an Social Media news item. Does Bruce have one of those moments that keeps getting recycled?

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/prince-beatles-george-harrison-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo/

im now getting it when i open the internet 

always late to the party playing catch up

because the night

interesting to compair Mr Edge's guitar playing style to Bruce's 

this was one musical even that Gary and i watched on dvd and both enjoyed it - i have a German bootleg from what was screened on tv - its really long 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:29 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

As for a Bruce moment that's held in similar regard by both us mad lot and the general public, I've gotta go for this one. I've said before but I do think it's the moment from this century where a lot of people who didn't know, get, or care what Springsteen and The E Street Band were about really sat up and said "this guy isn't half bad!"

The first 2.5 minutes of that clip... I don’t know if it’s genius or cringe.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Ever so often that outerwordly insane Prince solo pops up in an Social Media news item. Does Bruce have one of those moments that keeps getting recycled?

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/prince-beatles-george-harrison-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo/

Almost 89 MILLION views on that video. That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

• Like 5
14 hours ago, badlands78 said:

The first 2.5 minutes of that clip... I don’t know if it’s genius or cringe.

Neither, but it's fun, unexpected and refreshing. Comes across as something truly unrehearsed and spontaneous. 

• Like 2
On 8/17/2020 at 10:26 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Prince is technically very proficient but he can’t touch the likes of Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, SRV or even Neil Young for me.  Hendrix once said that “heaven was listening to Buddy playing guitar”...