Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just done with this thread.... I am afraid I'll get banned if I tell whats in my heart. I was beyond moved last night, and the true contents of the discussion of what it means will be discouraged

Per title.  So Bruce's haircut is pretty cool - Patti did a good job - and they both look well.  What do you all think about Bruce's haircut and how they're looking? 

I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Watching it made me cry at my office desk this morning. And I don't think that I'm an over-emotional wreck,  so I'd say the video is very efficient.   I

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I'm not having a go at you here, but I am interested in why you are willing and happy to donate 5% of your income to a charity, but not to pay higher taxes. Is it because you don't trust the state to spend money wisely?

In my ideal world, there would be no need for charities to feed the hungry.

It's our obligation, to give 10% of our wages to charity.  So now all can have a run at that. We have 4 charities we give to. And we only give to organizations that have over 80% of monies go to the cause. Whyhunger has a 85.3% Thank you Bruce.

Yes about the government, all you have to look at is our Social Security Fund. That fund will be zero soon enough, if that money was left alone and never touched we'd have pretty of money in that account for all to enjoy. You know how ridiculous our tax system is? We tax Social Security income. Please tell me how stupid that is.    

• Like 3
8 hours ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

Also when the top tax rate is 91%, that does not mean you lose 91% of the money you make in a year! That's not how taxes work.

Correct, only taxable income. Which is a pretty minimal number. That's why all the tax loop holes and tax havens. 

That's why a Flat Tax would be perfect. 10-15% across the board no loop holes no tax havens. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Accountant Pete said:

I wouldn't know how to get together with others or know where to go to buy an aircraft carrier.

Or build/maintain town/county/state roads and bridges... 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Accountant Pete said:

I wouldn't know how to get together with others or know where to go to buy an aircraft carrier.

4 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Or build/maintain town/county/state roads and bridges... 

Hyperbole much! 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Hyperbole much! 

Not at all!  

Every state is different in how it designates the money... gas tax, tolls, property tax, state and federal taxes, etc... 

But building and maintaining roads, bridges, and highways don’t pay for themselves.  

While I do give to various charities (St Jude’s, food banks, to name two) as taxes can’t possibly cover everything... 

But as you are well aware, various types of taxes are necessary, for the common good/use,  for many things.  

2 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Not at all!  

Every state is different in how it designates the money... gas tax, tolls, property tax, state and federal taxes, etc... 

But building and maintaining roads, bridges, and highways don’t pay for themselves.  

While I do give to various charities (St Jude’s, food banks, to name two) as taxes can’t possibly cover everything... 

But as you are well aware, various types of taxes are necessary, for the common good/use,  for many things.  

Well of course taxes are needed for those type of services. It's the bridge to nowhere type of projects I'm against.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

Who would you rather chose how your money is spent: the state, or you?

73849454-money-banking-accountant-accounts-taxmen-taxes-tax_inspectors-mfln3098_low (1).jpg

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Well of course taxes are needed for those type of services. It's the bridge to nowhere type of projects I'm against.  

Yeah, but I was talking about actual bridges... you know like one that crosses the river to the Jersey side!  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

It's the bridge to nowhere type of projects I'm against.  

This.

I’m not advocating a 0% tax.  But if I have disposable money, I’d rather chose its charitable destination than to let it be swallowed by a wasteful state program.

• Like 3

Many great initiatives are impossible without taxes. The Hoover Dam being an eye catcher. Less tangible education for our children, which we in turn need as the motor for our economy. Or good health care to keep the work force healthy enough to participatie, or social measures to help them over when the economy goes south.

Many of these examples go beyond our direct own individual needs but are needed to sustain a society that benefits us all.

Truth of the matter is, very few people get rich off purely their own labor. They employ people that provide the labor that helps them het rich. Jeff Bezos would not be swimming in money without folks working in his warehouses or others providing product for him to sell. Writers, artists, publishers, factory workers and such.

To me it seems fair that those who benefit from the economy more than others, pay a larger share to the means needed to keep that economy working.

Capitalism cannot survive without a government providing the infrastructure. In turn Capitalism has proven to be the best motor to keep an economy running needed to provide for the citizens of nation. Provided it is kept in check by a solid government. The same goes for corporations as individual citizens, most measures paid for by taxes are not the primary goal or interest of an individual company. Even though they need the roads and the USPS to move their product for example. It is not the primary interest of an individual company to maintain all roads and an entire post service.

• Like 3

I agree with @Jimmy James by the way that American tax code is way to complex and has too many loop holes and rather head scratching self sustaining circles in it. 

I would much prefer a simpler system with less deductables and loops. I don't think 10 to 15 percent across the board will pay for what we need as a society though. And I also think that broader shoulders should carry more weight as they benefit more from measures paid for by taxes and the economy in general.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Who would you rather chose how your money is spent: the state, or you?

I am happy to choose how I spend my own money, but the money I pay in taxes is not my money, it belongs to the state, and that's fine with me. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Many great initiatives are impossible without taxes. The Hoover Dam being an eye catcher. Less tangible education for our children, which we in turn need as the motor for our economy. Or good health care to keep the work force healthy enough to participatie, or social measures to help them over when the economy goes south.

Many of these examples go beyond our direct own individual needs but are needed to sustain a society that benefits us all.

Truth of the matter is, very few people get rich off purely their own labor. They employ people that provide the labor that helps them het rich. Jeff Bezos would not be swimming in money without folks working in his warehouses or others providing product for him to sell. Writers, artists, publishers, factory workers and such.

To me it seems fair that those who benefit from the economy more than others, pay a larger share to the means needed to keep that economy working.

Capitalism cannot survive without a government providing the infrastructure. In turn Capitalism has proven to be the best motor to keep an economy running needed to provide for the citizens of nation. Provided it is kept in check by a solid government. The same goes for corporations as individual citizens, most measures paid for by taxes are not the primary goal or interest of an individual company. Even though they need the roads and the USPS to move their product for example. It is not the primary interest of an individual company to maintain all roads and an entire post service.

Oh no! Don't mention the US Postal system!

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Accountant Pete said:

Was thinking the same thing!!!  

But you know, under ‘normal’ circumstances, the way things SHOULD be... 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Was thinking the same thing!!!  

But you know, under ‘normal’ circumstances, the way things SHOULD be... 

A functioning USPS is essential for society to work. Not just for this election. I'm very much affraid votes will be lost this election with all that's been going on. As they say, write your congressman......

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

A functioning USPS is essential for society to work. Not just for this election. I'm very much affraid votes will be lost this election with all that's been going on. As they say, write your congressman......

Absolutely. 

Yes, I have the same fears.  

Luckily my Congress reps are on it, as is my governor.  

But still my fears persist.  What we see/know is horrifying enough.  No idea what may be going on ‘behind the scenes...’ 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Accountant Pete said:

Yes let's mention the good ladies and gentlemen of the postal system, this English lady sent a parcel in May to my friend in St Louis, I didn't put the Zip code, (crazy times, I write the address from memory) but not in lockdown, a little late (2 months) it arrived, with a little note on it.:D

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Absolutely. 

Yes, I have the same fears.  

Luckily my Congress reps are on it, as is my governor.  

But still my fears persist.  What we see/know is horrifying enough.  No idea what may be going on ‘behind the scenes...’ 

I know your fears and I pray they won't come true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1