Greasy Lake Community

Not every charity covers an obligation of a national government. 

Healthcare shouldn't need charity from it's own citizens. It needs policies to ensure good universal healthcare for all. Unfortunately, initiatives like the ones below depend on our generosity. 

https://neworleansmusiciansclinic.org/

A disaster like the one in Beirut cannot go without our charity. 

http://www.redcross.org.lb/index.aspx?pageid=907

Nor can organisations that help battle injustices in our system.

Locally

https://eji.org/

Or globally

https://www.amnesty.org/en/

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just done with this thread.... I am afraid I'll get banned if I tell whats in my heart. I was beyond moved last night, and the true contents of the discussion of what it means will be discouraged

Per title.  So Bruce's haircut is pretty cool - Patti did a good job - and they both look well.  What do you all think about Bruce's haircut and how they're looking? 

I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Watching it made me cry at my office desk this morning. And I don't think that I'm an over-emotional wreck,  so I'd say the video is very efficient.   I

Posted Images

17 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

A functioning USPS is essential for society to work.

whether a USPS that loses 8 billion dollars a year can be considered "functioning" is, I think, part of the issue

• Like 2

Is The Rising open for all to use now? 

I was thinking, what if the RNC used The Rising, with video of Portland, Seattle, Chicago and St. Louis burning, Manhattan boarded up shops, SF homeless and open drug use on the streets. Pictures of all the police officers killed and injured during "peaceful protest". And at the very end "Defund the Police" 

24 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I was thinking, what if the RNC used The Rising, with video of Portland, Seattle, Chicago and St. Louis burning, Manhattan boarded up shops, SF homeless and open drug use on the streets. Pictures of all the police officers killed and injured during "peaceful protest". And at the very end "Defund the Police" 

I’m sure that’s exactly the imagery we’ll see next week, the politics of fear. Will be quite a contrast.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, gsquare said:

I’m sure that’s exactly the imagery we’ll see next week, the politics of fear. Will be quite a contrast.

G2, did you hear anything promising last night? 

5 minutes ago, gsquare said:

So, those things didn't happen and those images are photoshopped?

23 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

subject to approval of course, ….. and probably depending on whether Bruce thinks burning churches, court houses and police precincts, …. hitting police with frozen water bottles, bricks, Molotov cocktails and Automobiles …. doubling of the murder rate in several of our major cities ………………..  are things we need to rise above  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, gsquare said:

politics of fear or the nightly news?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, rtb said:

subject to approval of course, ….. and probably depending on whether Bruce thinks burning churches, court houses and police precincts, …. hitting police with frozen water bottles, bricks, Molotov cocktails and Automobiles …. doubling of the murder rate in several of our major cities ………………..  are things we need to rise above  

He probably would. The big question is, what did this president do with his moment to help the nation rise above it? He's had four years to do his share in fighting back systemic racism, what did he do with it?

In the aftermath of George Floyd's passing, what did he do to help the nation rise above the anger and frustration it released?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

He provably would. The big question is, what did this president do with his moment to help the nation rise above it? He's had four years to do his share in fighting back systemic racism, what did he do with it?

In the aftermath of George Floyd's passing, what did he do to help the nation rise above the anger and frustration it released?

I think he condemned the Minneapoilis cops involved in the Floyd death.  The federal district prosecutor there is investigating civil rights violations, I believe.

I remember him wanting to send national guard to cut back on looting, fires etc. but most of the mayors didn't want assistance.  Federal authority is limited in these matters apparently.  The guard was protecting the Portland courthouse for a while but they left at request of the Mayor. The courthouse is in tact but the riots continue up there, 80 some odd days now.

2 hours ago, rtb said:

whether a USPS that loses 8 billion dollars a year can be considered "functioning" is, I think, part of the issue

You consistently make comments like this without reading other comments that directly refute your "opinion".

So here, read this. Or don't. https://www.barrons.com/articles/usps-louis-dejoy-post-office-pelosi-mail-in-ballots-51597687253 I'm sure you'll keep making the comments either way, though. For your convenience, I'll post the most important quote.

"In 2006, Congress essentially told the post office to set aside $110 billion over 10 years. That, by our math, is $11 billion a year. The annual free cash flow reported by UPS, for comparison, was about $6.4 billion in 2018."

3 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Not every charity covers an obligation of a national government. 

Healthcare shouldn't need charity from it's own citizens. It needs policies to ensure good universal healthcare for all. Unfortunately, initiatives like the ones below depend on our generosity. 

https://neworleansmusiciansclinic.org/

A disaster like the one in Beirut cannot go without our charity. 

http://www.redcross.org.lb/index.aspx?pageid=907

Nor can organisations that help battle injustices in our system.

Locally

https://eji.org/

Or globally

https://www.amnesty.org/en/

I'm familiar with the Red Cross and Amnesty, obviously, (not the other two) but working towards a world where Amnesty and the Red Cross are not needed should absolutely be publicly funded IMHO.

In the UK I'd suggest the Arts should be beneficiaries of Lottery funding (fair do's a kind of charity I suppose.

The EJI organisation.....well a society that has the need of such an organisation (and, I confess, I say this after only a perfunctory glance at their website) is pretty badly broken and needs fixing in a myriad of ways (cause/effect etc ).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

G2, did you hear anything promising last night? 

Yea I heard plenty of promising things over the four nights, about healthcare, about the environment, about trying to fight this virus at a national level, about coming together as a nation. But you know what I didn’t hear about? I didn’t hear one person mention defunding the police, something that Biden has never said and is not in his platform. And yet that’s what you went to in your attempt to drag a great song like The Rising into the gutter.

Edit: if you look at the Biden platform on his website, it actually calls for the hiring of more police officers. How bout that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Defunding the police doesn't mean abolishing the police. It means redirecting some of their (often massive) budget to programs that can help reduce the need for police by improving social outcomes. But the righties never get that. Even though they've been defunding education and everything else for years, which have a hell of a lot more long term benefit than the police.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

<edited by request>

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

You consistently make comments like this without reading other comments that directly refute your "opinion".

So here, read this. Or don't. https://www.barrons.com/articles/usps-louis-dejoy-post-office-pelosi-mail-in-ballots-51597687253 I'm sure you'll keep making the comments either way, though. For your convenience, I'll post the most important quote.

"In 2006, Congress essentially told the post office to set aside $110 billion over 10 years. That, by our math, is $11 billion a year. The annual free cash flow reported by UPS, for comparison, was about $6.4 billion in 2018."

USPS lost 8.8 billion in 2019.  Regardless of the justification, not everyone thinks that is good.  What did I say that was wrong?

https://www.govexec.com/management/2019/11/postal-service-doubles-annual-losses-88-billion/161317/   

1 hour ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

He probably would. The big question is, what did this president do with his moment to help the nation rise above it? He's had four years to do his share in fighting back systemic racism, what did he do with it?

But at least be fair, what has Joe Biden done in almost 50 years of politics in regards to those problems. Now he’s gonna fix them? I’ll bow out from here because nobody wins in these things. Even 8 years of an African American President made no in roads to solving these issues

14 minutes ago, maccawings said:

But at least be fair, what has Joe Biden done in almost 50 years of politics in regards to those problems. Now he’s gonna fix them? I’ll bow out from here because nobody wins in these things. Even 8 years of an African American President made no in roads to solving these issues

Google is your friend for an indication

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/10/14/progress-african-american-community-during-obama-administration

What I've missed in this administration are policies that take a step in the right direction. The racial situation is not something one administration van fix.

What Trump has had far too little of is healing words. Sending in federal troops could possible have been avoided if the president had managed to express some perspective and hope for the future. I've missed that and can't find it when I'm looking for it. 

That's one of the reasons why I can understand Bruce's sharp condemnation of this president. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Google is your friend for an indication

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/10/14/progress-african-american-community-during-obama-administration

What I've missed in this administration are policies that take a step in the right direction. The racial situation is not something one administration van fix.

What Trump has had far too little of is healing words. Sending in federal troops could possible have been avoided if the president had managed to express some perspective and hope for the future. I've missed that and can't find it when I'm looking for it. 

That's one of the reasons why I can understand Bruce's sharp condemnation of this president. 

Not really, this is a statement by the Obama administration not of any National African American organization.

I’m sure you go to Trump’s press office and you’ll see their talking points. Strides in Criminal Justice Reform, Opportunity Zones for Black owned businesses, record low unemployment rate prior to Covid.

point being, administrations on both sides will claim advancements towards this situation but putting it on White House letter head does not make it true

27 minutes ago, maccawings said:

Not really, this is a statement by the Obama administration not of any National African American organization.

I’m sure you go to Trump’s press office and you’ll see their talking points. Strides in Criminal Justice Reform, Opportunity Zones for Black owned businesses, record low unemployment rate prior to Covid.

point being, administrations on both sides will claim advancements towards this situation but putting it on White House letter head does not make it true

It's a start, from there you can fact check all you want. 

I'm curious, what are your go to news sources of the people participating in this discussion?

I put my trust in the Guardian, the New York Times and Vox. I go to Fox if I want an alternative universe, Just to step outside of my bubble.

Another side note, a big thanks to the moderators for allowing is some room to deviate. And equally big for the people who don't agree with me but have left my head on. It feels good talking this way to you all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I think the RNC should use The Rising with pictures of every one of the 174,000 people who have tragically lost their lives to Covid in your country.

• Like 3
  • Hug 2