Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just done with this thread.... I am afraid I'll get banned if I tell whats in my heart. I was beyond moved last night, and the true contents of the discussion of what it means will be discouraged

Per title.  So Bruce's haircut is pretty cool - Patti did a good job - and they both look well.  What do you all think about Bruce's haircut and how they're looking? 

I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Watching it made me cry at my office desk this morning. And I don't think that I'm an over-emotional wreck,  so I'd say the video is very efficient.   I

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Per title. 

So Bruce's haircut is pretty cool - Patti did a good job - and they both look well. 

What do you all think about Bruce's haircut and how they're looking? 

Screenshot_20200818_033204_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.d52468f2b9ab2ec9d7dbe53edb399bd5.jpg

They both look good to me.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

That’s was a good, pretty inspiring video. I turned it off as soon as the Joe Biden stuff popped up. 
I won’t be voting for either if the main party candidates this fall and I really don’t need to want to see ads for either of them in the process.

Edit: I’ll add that it’s good to see some natural hair color. Few things look as silly to me as a 70 year old man with a full head of non-gray hair. 

My brother still had dark hair, sadly I don't

3 minutes ago, jmw said:

So have I.

I could write a long essay titled "The effects of lockdown on a woman's mind and body" :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Don't apologise, Wout, you've done nothing wrong. The purpose of this thread was discuss Bruce's hair and how two people around the age of 70 are looking.

Thanks for sticking to the theme with your post. If this was to escalate into discussion about the video/politics I'm about 63% certain I would be banned for starting it. 

Bruce’s natural look makes me feel better about my own receding grey hair!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

Just done with this thread....

I am afraid I'll get banned if I tell whats in my heart. I was beyond moved last night, and the true contents of the discussion of what it means will be discouraged. Up the thread someone said we have a choice between two horrible candidates. It is not true...moreover the fact Bruce chose to use his song in an important moment last night shows us how important this moment is....

I have always had a hot and cold reaction to the Rising. Last night I saw it for what it is. A call to action. A call to live in spite of the horrors we face. His best songs say something. If something is wrong, you look at it, and to yourself, inside yourself you ask what can I do? Where does this take me? On my back is that 60 pound stone of ugly history. Up those stairs is the afterlife of sorts, where I know I will go. The transformation is there. We must grab it. Last night was amazing. For once I was connected to this struggle through my political party. My hero contributed a song, that song was transformed into a call to begin again. I am in this fight and it hurts when people make it a joke about hair or wigs.

I see where you're coming from. I feel an urgent need to discuss those images as well and it troubles me that places like this are less and less a place where we can. We should be able to here, amongst fellow fans and sometimes friends. 

The internet is becoming increasingly a place where extreme voices roam. Though I understand the need to make a safe place out of this forum, it also makes it one less place where people with something important in common can discuss important issues where they don't see eye to eye. The term social media is slowly turning into a cynical misnomer. The Tiki torches are taking over and calm voices of reason are retreating. Or at least it feels that way.

Some things can't be left unsaid. But what's the point if they are erased? That's why, a while back, I decided to play my very small part by keeping some thing important visible. But really, this is a time we should be talking and listening.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, redwire said:

Unfortunately Americans have to choose between two horrible candidates, and Bruce, too, has to pick one of them.

As if we weren't born in 2000, or in 2016 for the matter... 

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

The highlight of this thread, sorry Paolo...

When your hair turns to silver
I'll still call you Delta flower..

:D

I've been singing 'desert flower' all these years :D

• Haha 3
29 minutes ago, jmw said:

He would never colour his hair.

Good, he shouldn’t. It always annoys me to see guys on TV with dyed hair. Like Bob Costas for instance. Just looks absurd.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

I am afraid I'll get banned if I tell whats in my heart. I was beyond moved last night, and the true contents of the discussion of what it means will be discouraged. Up the thread someone said we have a choice between two horrible candidates. It is not true...moreover the fact Bruce chose to use his song in an important moment last night shows us how important this moment is....

I have always had a hot and cold reaction to the Rising. Last night I saw it for what it is. A call to action. A call to live in spite of the horrors we face. His best songs say something. If something is wrong, you look at it, and to yourself, inside yourself you ask what can I do? Where does this take me? On my back is that 60 pound stone of ugly history. Up those stairs is the afterlife of sorts, where I know I will go. The transformation is there. We must grab it. Last night was amazing. For once I was connected to this struggle through my political party. My hero contributed a song, that song was transformed into a call to begin again. I am in this fight and it hurts when people make it a joke about hair or wigs.

Only post worth reading in this thread. Thank you. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2
28 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

I see where you're coming from. I feel an urgent need to discuss those images as well and it troubles me that places like this are less and less a place where we can. We should be able to here, amongst fellow fans and sometimes friends. 

The internet is becoming increasingly a place where extreme voices roam. Though I understand the need to make a safe place out of this forum, it also makes it one less place where people with something important in common can discuss important issues where they don't see eye to eye. The term social media is slowly turning into a cynical misnomer. The Tiki torches are taking over and calm voices of reason are retreating. Or at least it feels that way.

Some things can't be left unsaid. But what's the point if they are erased? That's why, a while back, I decided to play my very small part by keeping some thing important visible. But really, this is a time we should be talking and listening.

Apologies! And this one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Wout said:

I like white or grey haired women. Look for example at Joan Baez or Emmylou Harris, just stunning!!

Emmylou_Harris_2006_2.jpg.6cd8d8e3285ef2574cac9da658649c38.jpg

White hair on men look great too, just look at Michael Douglas or Bill Clinton or anyone else... 

Sorry for derailing the thread I know it has absolutely nothing to do with the video haha

I’ll take that ‘or anyone else......’:D

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Per title. 

So Bruce's haircut is pretty cool - Patti did a good job - and they both look well. 

What do you all think about Bruce's haircut and how they're looking? 

Screenshot_20200818_033204_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.d52468f2b9ab2ec9d7dbe53edb399bd5.jpg

Nice 'Tougher than the rest' video Easter egg in that sequence.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Silvia said:

I remember @JoanFontaine saying in one of her posts a while ago that political discussion is not allowed, but when/if Bruce makes a political statement, then the discussion will be tolerated. 

I'm not saying this because I would desire to ignite a political debate here. The fact is that Bruce has made a political statement par excellence, and the idea that we are willing to pretend to be talking about his hair is humiliating. 

This is accurate and is still our position - if/when Bruce makes a political statement, it can be discussed.

However, the caveat is that hate filled content, conspiracy theories, "my team vs your team" types of posts will be removed.

For almost 15 years we battled to maintain a political forum for discussion, without it becoming a reason that people chose to LEAVE our community.  Sadly we failed, and lost many members, voices that I wish we could hear from again.  The decision to remove the forum and limit political discussion was simply to unite a worldwide community with discussions about content that we have in common.

Bruce made a decision to authorize the use of his song ( we hear often about artists using "cease and desist" orders to prevent this) and apparently agreed long ago, so there was plenty of time for the production of the video that was shown last night.  He also consented to his image being used and because of that we get to discuss his hair style ;)

I am glad Bruce chose to speak out - but I also recognize that Bruce agreeing with me on a topic doesn't mean I have the right position, just as much as his disagreement doesn't make me wrong. 

I am willing to accept that sincere people with good intentions can disagree with me - that makes me sad to post, because that is how everyone should feel (in my opinion) but that is not our world at this time. If we can't have honest disagreements without hatred, then we as a culture are likely doomed. 

If y'all can avoid the personal attacks, the finger pointing and nonsense that surrounds politics today, feel free to discuss what Bruce has done - but understand, there are boundaries and we will delete content that is outside of our desired intent for the Greasy Lake Community as a whole.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
2 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I would encourage you to post how you feel - just please focus on the inspiration you got from Bruce.

I found his position interesting, as he often chooses to allow his music to speak for him, as opposed to speaking publicly in a different context.

As a long time fan (and I know you are too)  I remember the BIUSA kerfluffle with Reagan.  But through most of the 80s and 90s Bruce shared very little of his political positions.  I am not sure if it was hesitancy to alienate potential fans, or perhaps his own discomfort with the new platform he had to share his thoughts, which personally I would find intimidating.   But he generally avoided sharing his positions until 2004 or so, when he stepped forward to support John Kerry and the Vote For Change movement.   I was here at Greasy Lake then, and people LOST THEIR MINDS to find out Bruce didn't agree with them.  I know of several "big fans" who tossed their collections and swore to never listen to Bruce again, and some of them are still angry almost 20 years later.

I am glad for Bruce and for us that he now chooses to share his thoughts, using his music at times to do so and giving us further insight on who he is and what drives his passions.   The combination of those things leads to music I love, and I am happy to learn about him, even when I don't agree with him on a political subject or a social cause.    

Either way, agreeing with him or not, I am still a fan

• Like 4
1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

i have no interest in either Bruces hair or american politics which probably only americans understand

In my experience, non-Americans often have a better grasp of American politics than Americans do. 

I'm glad Bruce let them use the song. 

• Like 3

Meh, I’d prefer him to keep his music out of the politics like he has kept it out of commercials and the like. I don’t really see a difference. I honestly don’t care what he thinks about politics anymore than I care about what brand of tires he prefers for his car. I’m not sure his opinion has brought many (any?) people to his side of the political aisle but it has surely driven many fans away. 
*I will add that he can do as he wishes. What I am talking about is just my preference for what he does, not that I think he is right/wrong to do what he wants to do.

• Like 2