Greasy Lake Community

"The Rising" used and Bruce and Patti featured in a video that we won't be allowed to discuss

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Meh, I’d prefer him to keep his music out of the politics like he has kept it out of commercials and the like. I don’t really see a difference. I honestly don’t care what he thinks about politics anymore than I care about what brand of tires he prefers for his car. I’m not sure his opinion has brought many (any?) people to his side of the political aisle but it has surely driven many fans away. 
*I will add that he can do as he wishes. What I am talking about is just my preference for what he does, not that I think he is right/wrong to do what he wants to do.

Well, commercials are about making money. Politics is (or is supposed to be) about beliefs (especially when one already has plenty of money). The difference is pretty evident.

I respect your opinion about you preferring Bruce to keep to music, but that ship has sailed sixteen years ago (at least). For the last five presidential elections Bruce has been overtly supporting his favorite candidate on and offstage. 

• Like 2

The Rising is far from my favourite song by Springsteen but used in the context of this video as a call to arms it has a lot more emotional impact on me than as a stand alone song. Springsteen has a tradition of stepping up to the plate when he feels that his country needs him. I'm glad he decided that this is one of those moments. I like the idea of using the 911-song for a video about the covid-19/Trump Presidency to get the point across that the US is once again under attack. I like the fact that there's a short clip of Bruce and Patti in the video showing that he didn't just license the song to the Biden campaign but takes active part in getting him elected.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I would encourage you to post how you feel - just please focus on the inspiration you got from Bruce.

I found his position interesting, as he often chooses to allow his music to speak for him, as opposed to speaking publicly in a different context.

As a long time fan (and I know you are too)  I remember the BIUSA kerfluffle with Reagan.  But through most of the 80s and 90s Bruce shared very little of his political positions.  I am not sure if it was hesitancy to alienate potential fans, or perhaps his own discomfort with the new platform he had to share his thoughts, which personally I would find intimidating.   But he generally avoided sharing his positions until 2004 or so, when he stepped forward to support John Kerry and the Vote For Change movement.   I was here at Greasy Lake then, and people LOST THEIR MINDS to find out Bruce didn't agree with them.  I know of several "big fans" who tossed their collections and swore to never listen to Bruce again, and some of them are still angry almost 20 years later.

I am glad for Bruce and for us that he now chooses to share his thoughts, using his music at times to do so and giving us further insight on who he is and what drives his passions.   The combination of those things leads to music I love, and I am happy to learn about him, even when I don't agree with him on a political subject or a social cause.    

Either way, agreeing with him or not, I am still a fan

This will look like my first post/comment, but I had to re-register after not being here for a few years I guess.  I wondered what happened to the "political" forum, what a shame it had to go.  I can't believe people lost their minds and actually threw out their collections, how sad.  It's always been obvious from Bruce's first album where he stood politically in my humble opinion.  I think Bruce finally decided to speak about where he stood after 9/11 and The Rising album.  The song is perfect for these times and it's a wonderful video, very moving and hopeful.  Having grown up in the 60s and 70s, music and politics for me has always gone hand in hand, especially in the 60s.  As a people we need to end the extremism and listen to each other to find common ground.  Bruce and Patti look great!  Stay healthy!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Silvia said:

I agree with you, if they would have omitted the Biden speech, the video would have been even more powerful. I don't understand why everything has to be so directly formulated in USA. Like otherwise, people wouldn't get the message, which I believe is not correct.

Sorry I have to disagree with this.

As the video was a part of the first night of Democratic National Convention, I think it was absolutely appropriate to have included Joe Biden’s speech.  

The choice of song was perfect, and the vid itself was perfect from start to finish, IMO.  

And yes, I sobbed from start to finish... 

And I also LOVED how ‘come on rise up’ and ‘riiiiiiiise uuuup’ was also used throughout the Convention, as background music in between the different speakers, with the words ‘we the people’ on the screen.  Very moving. 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 2

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Well, commercials are about making money. Politics is (or is supposed to be) about beliefs (especially when one already has plenty of money). The difference is pretty evident.

I respect your opinion about you preferring Bruce to keep to music, but that ship has sailed sixteen years ago (at least). For the last five presidential elections Bruce has been overtly supporting his favorite candidate on and offstage. 

Having your music used in commercials is about throwing your support behind a particular product. Having your music used by a politician  is about supporting a particular political product.

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Quite. It’s been crystal clear since 5 November 1980*.

“I don´t know what you guys think about what happened last night but I think it´s pretty frightening….you guys are young, there’s gonna be a lot of people depending on you coming up so this is for you…”

(* As if there weren’t big enough clues across BTR and Darkness!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

This is accurate and is still our position - if/when Bruce makes a political statement, it can be discussed.

However, the caveat is that hate filled content, conspiracy theories, "my team vs your team" types of posts will be removed.

For almost 15 years we battled to maintain a political forum for discussion, without it becoming a reason that people chose to LEAVE our community.  Sadly we failed, and lost many members, voices that I wish we could hear from again.  The decision to remove the forum and limit political discussion was simply to unite a worldwide community with discussions about content that we have in common.

Bruce made a decision to authorize the use of his song ( we hear often about artists using "cease and desist" orders to prevent this) and apparently agreed long ago, so there was plenty of time for the production of the video that was shown last night.  He also consented to his image being used and because of that we get to discuss his hair style ;)

I am glad Bruce chose to speak out - but I also recognize that Bruce agreeing with me on a topic doesn't mean I have the right position, just as much as his disagreement doesn't make me wrong. 

I am willing to accept that sincere people with good intentions can disagree with me - that makes me sad to post, because that is how everyone should feel (in my opinion) but that is not our world at this time. If we can't have honest disagreements without hatred, then we as a culture are likely doomed. 

If y'all can avoid the personal attacks, the finger pointing and nonsense that surrounds politics today, feel free to discuss what Bruce has done - but understand, there are boundaries and we will delete content that is outside of our desired intent for the Greasy Lake Community as a whole.

I'm a civilized person, I never come here to insult, or attack anyone.

What I believe we, the community deserve, is a fair chance for an orderly discussion, a space to freely breath in, without the constant burden of self censorship floating in our minds. That's all. 

Thank you for this clarification.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

As the video was a part of the first night of Democratic National Convention, I think it was absolutely appropriate to have included Joe Biden’s speech.  

The choice of song was perfect, and the vid itself was perfect from start to finish, IMO.  

And I also LOVED how ‘come on rise up’ and ‘riiiiiiiise uuuup’ was also used throughout the Convention, as background music in between the different speakers, with the words ‘we the people’ on the screen.  Very moving. 

No problem, I was actually talking about the artistic value of the video, and in my opinion the images they used were absolutely strong enough to deliver the message. 

I do understand that having Biden in the video is important, because this video is an official part of the campaign.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

i know of some US peeps (non Bruce fans) who were extremely    impressed with it 

• Like 2

And one thing also... I sometimes joke. Not all my jokes are probably excepted as such, because I'm not constantly using the emoticons. I always assume I'm well understood, although I can be cynical, or sarcastic sometimes...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

Quite. It’s been crystal clear since 5 November 1980*.

“I don´t know what you guys think about what happened last night but I think it´s pretty frightening

And boy what a horrible life we all have lived since then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who reacted deeply moved and emotional to the video. I hadn't listened to The Rising in some time, and it fit perfectly.

Bruce has been outspoken in his broadcasts, so it's no surprise he comes out for Biden. Or maybe mainly against the other guy.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who reacted deeply moved and emotional to the video. I hadn't listened to The Rising in some time, and it fit perfectly.

Bruce has been outspoken in his broadcasts, so it's no surprise he comes out for Biden. Or maybe mainly against the other guy.

No, he’s definitely a Democrat. It’s not just anti-Trump. 
I found myself moved by it until I saw that it was just another political ad. Then I got to the, “Well, I guess that song is for sale as well.” point. Personally, I think it’s a shame that he’s gotten to this point but it is his music to use as he sees fit. I liked it better when he didn’t allow his music to be used as such.

• Like 2

I wonder how this song will be used 30 years from now, or 50 years from now. What catastrophe  will this song speak for, and to. All you guys who are young, who will be here 50 years from now, I hope you will consider whether the use of his songs are the way he would have wanted.  

• Like 4