Greasy Lake Community

6 hours ago, Nick21 said:

Quite. It’s been crystal clear since 5 November 1980*.

“I don´t know what you guys think about what happened last night but I think it´s pretty frightening….you guys are young, there’s gonna be a lot of people depending on you coming up so this is for you…”

(* As if there weren’t big enough clues across BTR and Darkness!)

Yes, of course Bruce had spoken politics before. But in my previous post I was referring to the fact of campaigning for and with a candidate (from the 2004 'Vote for Change' on).

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just done with this thread.... I am afraid I'll get banned if I tell whats in my heart. I was beyond moved last night, and the true contents of the discussion of what it means will be discouraged

Per title.  So Bruce's haircut is pretty cool - Patti did a good job - and they both look well.  What do you all think about Bruce's haircut and how they're looking? 

I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Watching it made me cry at my office desk this morning. And I don't think that I'm an over-emotional wreck,  so I'd say the video is very efficient.   I

Posted Images

I am still a young Bruce fan I guess (since 2009) and live outside the US.

It was pretty obvious from the first songs I listened to back then where Bruce stood on the socio-political spectrum and I loved him for it because it fell in place with my values. I still don't really understand how people from the other side of the political spectrum can both listen and love Darkness, BITUSA, LOHAD or the Tom Joad album and say 1) that there is no political element to those songs and 2) they don't agree with Bruce's politics and that Bruce should stay out of politics. Am I missing something here? Hasn't he always been political and rather obvious about where he stands?

I am not trying to ignite a debate here but am genuinely interested in knowing how a Bruce fan who veers to the right thinks when they listen to his music. Have they not realized what the music is about or do they choose to ignore certain albums/songs/parts of songs?

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Jertucky said:

No, he’s definitely a Democrat. It’s not just anti-Trump. 
I found myself moved by it until I saw that it was just another political ad. Then I got to the, “Well, I guess that song is for sale as well.” point. Personally, I think it’s a shame that he’s gotten to this point but it is his music to use as he sees fit. I liked it better when he didn’t allow his music to be used as such.

Well, to be fair, 'The Rising' was performed live at Obama campaign rallies in 2008, and at his inauguration in 2009. It hardly went on sale for political reason in 2020. 

Also, it's worth reminding what Bruce's own take on the then candidate Mr. Trump was back in 2016. Here's the conclusion of Bruce's speech from the stage of Clinton's November 7 final rally in Philadelphia (it's still on at www.brucespringsteen.net, BTW).

"Now, briefly, to address her opponent: this is a man whose vision is limited to little beyond himself, who has a profound lack of decency that would allow him to prioritize his own interests and ego before American democracy itself. Somebody who'd be willing to damage our long-cherished and admired system rather than look to himself for the reasons behind his own epic failure. That's unforgivable. Tomorrow that campaign is going down.Let's all do our part so we can look back at 2016 and say we stood with Hillary Clinton on the right side of history. That's why I'm standing here with you tonight, for the dream of a better America."

Again, I respect your point, but it's not that Bruce's overt and active support for a Democrat candidate is something different from what we've known at least since the 2004 'Vote for Change'. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Nick21 said:

Quite. It’s been crystal clear since 5 November 1980*.

“I don´t know what you guys think about what happened last night but I think it´s pretty frightening….you guys are young, there’s gonna be a lot of people depending on you coming up so this is for you…”

(* As if there weren’t big enough clues across BTR and Darkness!)

If only more people had listened back then we wouldn't be in the mess we are today ........ (mind you, the UK had already taken its first steps towards creating the morass that is today some time prior :().

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Frank said:

Also, it's worth reminding what Bruce's own take on the then candidate Mr. Trump was back in 2016. Here's the conclusion of Bruce's speech from the stage of Clinton's November 7 final rally in Philadelphia (it's still on at www.brucespringsteen.net, BTW).

"Now, briefly, to address her opponent: this is a man whose vision is limited to little beyond himself, who has a profound lack of decency that would allow him to prioritize his own interests and ego before American democracy itself. Somebody who'd be willing to damage our long-cherished and admired system rather than look to himself for the reasons behind his own epic failure.

Very prescient.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Yes.

Bruce also told a CH 4 reporter, quite emphatically,  that Trump would not win. 

didn't most of us think Hilary would win ? :(

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Seebab said:

I am not trying to ignite a debate here but am genuinely interested in knowing how a Bruce fan who veers to the right thinks when they listen to his music. Have they not realized what the music is about or do they choose to ignore certain albums/songs/parts of songs?

Those debates (there were many of them, all going round in circles as different opinions were frowned on or ignored) contributed to the demise of political discussion around here.

Better stick to Bruce's hair as the topic of the day.

What hair? Most of it disappeared long ago - he grew new stuff. Fair play.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

They do say you should never discuss politics. I’m not sure if Bruce’s political beliefs would lessen my enjoyment of his music, luckily it’s not something I need to worry about as his political leanings are broadly the same as mine. If he came out in support of the far right (like Morrisey) I’m not sure. It would be so at odds with the subject matter of a lot of his songs it would be hard to process.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Stats like this make me worry that all the effort in video's such as Bruce's is fruitless. Biden can lead the polls but I fear this election is going to be won by crippling the USPS. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/8/11/21358960/trump-mail-voting-sabotage-explained

1.jpg

• Sad 1
36 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

. If he came out in support of the far right (like Morrisey) I’m not sure. It would be so at odds with the subject matter of a lot of his songs it would be hard to process.

This is a very good point.

When it was reported that Bruce crossed a picket line, it was like a boot to my face.

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Yes. Her team didn’t even properly consider a concession speech...

I recently re-read Shattered by Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes. A fascinating yet sobering look at the 2016 campaign. Anybody who can put up with the heartache should give it a look. It’s also interesting comparing her campaign to Biden’s, which, despite a pretty mediocre start, seems to be running rather smoothly right now (even allowing for the slight miscue with Republicans buying mass online ad space for this week...) 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Stats like this make me worry that all the effort in video's such as Bruce's is fruitless. Biden can lead the polls but I fear this election is going to be won by crippling the USPS. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/8/11/21358960/trump-mail-voting-sabotage-explained

1.jpg

I'm convinced that Don, Ghouliani and Stone will unleash their dark arts close to Election Day, giving Biden no chance and no time to respond effectively.

13 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

When it was reported that Bruce crossed a picket line, it was like a boot to my face.

I'd either forgotten that or didn't know.

He's called off concerts for various reasons - it mustn't have been important enough to him.

12 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I'd either forgotten that or didn't know.

He's called off concerts for various reasons - it mustn't have been important enough to him.

Yeah. Whilst I'm a full supporter of the rights of the LGBTQ community I was amazed that Bruce cancelled a gig at short notice over their use / non use of public conveniences.

Barring a significant new development, the Little Steven song Vote! (The Mutha' Out) will be trumped by the Little Steven remix of 57 Channels, There's a Riot Goin' On.

45 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

This is a very good point.

can you please refresh my memory on that one 

9 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

13 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

can you please refresh my memory on that one 

Cleveland, Ohio: August 7, 1985 

Tacoma, Washington: October 13, 1992

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Trang said:

Cleveland, Ohio: August 7, 1985 

Tacoma, Washington: October 13, 1992

Aye. He said that it was his duty to play as people had bought tickets and made travel arrangements. A modus operandi that clearly bit the dust when the the toilet issue came up more recently.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, well....What do we have here?...

Facebook Flags Springsteen Pro-Biden Video as "False Information"

https://www.app.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/08/18/facebook-flags-bruce-springsteen-pro-biden-the-rising-video-false-information/3397995001/

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Aye. He said that it was his duty to play as people had bought tickets and made travel arrangements. A modus operandi that clearly bit the dust when the the toilet issue came up more recently.

To be fair the "bathroom" law meant much more far reaching measures. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Facilities_Privacy_%26_Security_Act#:~:text=The bill amended state law,it also gave the state

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1