Greasy Lake Community

20 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Having your music used in commercials is about throwing your support behind a particular product. Having your music used by a politician  is about supporting a particular political product.

That's a bit different.

There's a difference between being political and being party political.

Bruce's art has, pretty much, always been political.

Bruce himself has only occasionally (and relatively recently) been party political.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just done with this thread.... I am afraid I'll get banned if I tell whats in my heart. I was beyond moved last night, and the true contents of the discussion of what it means will be discouraged

Per title.  So Bruce's haircut is pretty cool - Patti did a good job - and they both look well.  What do you all think about Bruce's haircut and how they're looking? 

I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Watching it made me cry at my office desk this morning. And I don't think that I'm an over-emotional wreck,  so I'd say the video is very efficient.   I

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Oy vey

This president ( granted, an absolutely unlikable, arrogant blowhard) had people working at record numbers. That is a massive thing that went well under this president. I believe specifically African Americans were at their lowest level of unemployment before the pandemic hit. 
Do you think everything  goes well only when Democrats are in power? I mean, that is what is causing a lot of the issues in this country. Too many people just can’t acknowledge that the other side does some things that work. 

Trump had positive momentum from the Obama administration.  Trump didn't magic that situation out of thin air. The man lies and spins, so don't believe those assertions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

don’t hold him up on any pedestal. I don’t think he has any particular insight into the American experience that everybody else has.

I don't think he claims to have. I think he paints pictures of what he sees and invited the audience to take from it what they will.

I think he is a great songwriter. That’s about the extent of it. I don’t like him telling me what his music is about or attaching it to any particular thing. It’s preachy. 

Again, I don't think he does. He's said in many interviews a helluva lot of his songs are intensely personal but his audience has an absolute right to interpret them, and apply them to their personal experiences, as they wish. And sometimes make them think a bit.......

I would have more interest in his political opinion if he would acknowledge the positive things the other side does. 

Again with the sides .....why is politics always about sides?

12 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I don't think he claims to have. I think he paints pictures of what he sees and invited the audience to take from it what they will.

Again, I don't think he does. He's said in many interviews a helluva lot of his songs are intensely personal but his audience has an absolute right to interpret them, and apply them to their personal experiences, as they wish. And sometimes make them think a bit.......

Again with the sides .....why is politics always about sides?

Good question. Why is politics always about sides? I’m not on either side. I have voted for Republicans and Democrats alike and I can tell you from the middle ground that it is increasingly about sides. I look forward to the day when Democrats come out as pro-life so I can hear the a Republicans come out immediately afterwards as pro-choice.

Your second point is where I think he’s gone away from what he used to be (which again is fine. He can do as he pleases). He’s no longer just trying to make people think a bit. I think people can hear through his songs what he trying to portray. I don’t think he needs to have his songs made into videos with Joe Biden in the middle of them for people to get his point. I find it tacky. 
For your first point, I didn’t mean to imply that he placed himself on a pedestal. Though again, I don’t think he’s just inviting his audience to take from his music what they will. He’s gotten pretty direct with what his music is supposed to mean. I don’t like him doing it, and I find him to be sanctimonious when doing so.

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

I remember in the morning, ma, hearing your alarm clock ring
I'd lie in bed and listen to you getting ready for work, the sound of your makeup case on the sink
And the ladies at the office, all lipstick, perfume and rustling skirts
And how proud and happy you always looked walking home from work

So everyone is working family's 

Oy vey

This president ( granted, an absolutely unlikable, arrogant blowhard) had people working at record numbers. That is a massive thing that went well under this president. I believe specifically African Americans were at their lowest level of unemployment before the pandemic hit. 
Do you think everything  goes well only when Democrats are in power? I mean, that is what is causing a lot of the issues in this country. Too many people just can’t acknowledge that the other side does some things that work. 

Politics, and political outcomes, are not instant.

I refer you to Zhou Enlai in 1972 (? was it)..............;)

Just now, Buddhabone said:

Please shut this down mods...political mud slinging has begun.

It's a horrible lose-lose situation, this. 

If the mods were to keep the political forum open this would be happening 24/7, but with the political forum gone/political discussion not allowed, the odd moment where posters are allowed to discuss such matters sees a lot of built up frustrations and tensions evoked. There's really no way around it other than, as the mods say, to shut the political talk down completely. 

I'm to blame what with starting the thread. "The Rising" being used and Bruce and Patti appearing in the video had to be addressed on here and I thought I could do it in a flippant manner. I thought the odd political post would slip through the hair related cracks, but didn't see it escalating into all of this.

My bad, everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

If the mods were to keep the political forum open this would be happening 24/7, but with the political forum gone/political discussion not allowed, the odd moment where posters are allowed to discuss such matters sees a lot of built up frustrations and tensions evoked. There's really no way around it other than, as the mods say, to shut the political talk down completely. 

I'm to blame what with starting the thread. "The Rising" being used and Bruce and Patti appearing in the video had to be addressed on here and I thought I could do it in a flippant manner. I thought the odd political post would slip through the hair related cracks, but didn't see it escalating into all of this.

My bad, everyone. 

This is a great conversation. Nothing to be ashamed about. 

Bruce brought it up, we can talk about it? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Seeing as I do mainly come on a Bruce Springsteen forum to talk about my top versions of "Part Man Part Monkey", I'll yield.

I can only find 5 videos though, but regardless...

They're all in my Top 10

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

My bad, everyone. 

Don't apologise. I am pleased you posted the video, it was sent to me by another Laker, but I could easily have missed it. This is a forum where we talk about all things Bruce. This is Bruce doing something which nobody can be surprised about. 

The discussion has been polite from what I can see but, with the state the world is in right now, passions are almost bound to be raised. What happens in the US election will effect all of us one way or another.

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

So you think business tycoons don't work? 

They probably do :D I’m not sure, I’ve never met one. But to stay on topic, Springsteen has never made it a secret that his music takes a working class perspective and his political Or philanthropical efforts have always been to better their conditions. When he supports food banks, he obviously isn’t thinking of Jeff Bezos but of the folks who can’t make ends meet. 
So, in the context of his video message and @Jertucky’s comment, I think it is a legitimate question to ask for Republican policies in the past few years that we’re aimed at bettering our conditions. Where’s the better, more inclusive healthcare plan that was promised when Trump took office for example. Have we seen policies we feel Bruce could comfortably get behind?

2 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

The discussion has been polite from what I can see but, with the state the world is in right now, passions are almost bound to be raised. What happens in the US election will effect all of us one way or another.

It might just be because I never saw the political forum at its absolute worst, but to me it seems like this is getting there. Maybe best to stop it before it does. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

In this instance it is definitely you being sensitive. The man eating pop corn in the gif is Big E Langston and he has stated on multiple occasions just how much he loves being a gif. 

Well then...it seems I've stepped in it this time...

image.png.1388b66a28aa64f4281f0fd4160d09f2.png

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

You must have missed that verse in "Out In The Street" where he gives pretty girls the eye, and then smashes the windows of a department store and burns down a police station.

When I’m out in the street

oh oh oh oh oh

I take whatever I want to take

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It might just be because I never saw the political forum at its absolute worst, but to me it seems like this is getting there. Maybe best to stop it before it does. 

NO, Damn it!

Have you been reading mine and @SoulBoogieAlex conversations? No anger no name calling! Just different points of view.

Look, Trump is a DICK, an Asshole and very bad person. But the alternative would set us in economic ruin. And if Ann truly believes what happens with our election will happen to the world. I fell sorry for the world.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can I just add my pennyworth about jobs. I don't know the detail of the employment situation in the US but over here there are jobs and there are jobs. The fragility of many peoples employment status has been laid bare by this pandemic - people on zero hours contracts, people supposedly 'self employed' when they really are not, short term contracts etc. 

What looked like full employment six months ago will not look like full employment six months hence. 

What really depresses me is the lack of imagination shown by politicians. There has to be a way out of this mess - more people working less hours, basic national income, real, worthwhile green projects, to name a few.

Governments, of whatever political persuasion,  have a duty of care to their citizens.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Trump had positive momentum from the Obama administration.  Trump didn't magic that situation out of thin air. The man lies and spins, so don't believe those assertions.

Obama had positive momentum going from the Bush administration, who had positive momentum going from the Clinton administration who, of course, had positive momentum going from the Bush/Reagan administration, etc........ 

It’s all intertwined. No one party should ever be getting full credit or blame for the situation the country is at any particular moment.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1