Greasy Lake Community

The Official 2020/21 Premier League thread

Everton are absolutely in the top 4 race, as are 10 teams. To have just seven points separating 1st from 10th in January is most unusual. With points being dropped everywhere, Everton have as good a chance as any top half team. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crowds will be allowed back in to all UK grounds from 17th may with a 10K maximum.  

That was not enjoyable. Should be a "Pay You to View".  

He signed a 3 year deal in 2019, so thru 2022 at least. He's 28, so that takes him to ~30. After rumors last summer that Spurs were asking about him, he and the club started discussing an extended con

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Everton might still finish top 4. Great manager and they’ve bought pretty well. 

I think they have a decent shot at it; they are playing some good football and have hit a bump in the road.  My comment was more an observation of the volatility of the standings.  The Holidays are always produce some odd results b/c of the crowded calendar and this year is worse than most.  

My approach is to steer clear of predictions and "hawt takes" and just let things play out; I think doing any crystal ball work this season is a mugs game.  Outside of Liverpool winning the league (and even there I wouldn't bet the mortgage money on it) and SU going down I'm out of the predictions game.  

Premier League and EFL clubs are trying to include new legal guarantees in player contracts to cover themselves if the Coronavirus pandemic worsens, or if spectators remain banned from stadiums into next season.

Sky Sports News has been told that new “Covid clauses” are being included in many loan deals, which mean a loan can be cancelled (and loan fees at least in part recouped) if Coronavirus leads to further interruptions in the football season. 

These clauses have led to more complex negotiations between clubs than ever before, it has been said.

Many clubs are also trying to future-proof themselves by including legal small print in new contracts – for new and existing players - that would mean pay cuts, if games continue to be played behind closed doors beyond the end of this season.

11 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Fascinating. 

Not the word I would use after watching the snooze fests on offer on Saturday and Sunday, luckily I switched over to the Bundesliga game on saturday evening before I fell asleep or died, and caught probably the best second half of the season watching Dortmund v Mainz, what a game so entertaining and skillful...now if Carlsberg did football.....

• Haha 1

Last year it was suggested the champions domination was partly due to a drop in quality overall.

Does the closeness suggest this year the quality is improved or just reflective in part of the bizarre circumstances?

I think most of the games I’ve seen have been pretty good. No fans clearly impacting of course.

City started slow but are picking up the pace. Liverpool clearly regressed due to injuries, Everton/Spurs/United improved to varying levels. 

Leicester also showing signs that they could be more reliable as top 4 contenders.

Those sides apart the level is probably about the same. 

14 hours ago, AMIW said:

villa to play one of their many games in hand this weekend against newcastle since both are out of the cup

And hopefully there will be a better referee in charge of the game than the d******d who decided to allow Man City's first goal against us last night.

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Looks as all the clubs are going to wait around and allow LFC back in. 

Vardy now out for Leicester 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55769057

I think the top 8 to 10 teams will take plenty of points off eachother as they all scrap for the 4 CL places. It’s going to be the lowest points total to win it in many years. 
Leicester, United, Spurs and Arsenal have the insurance of qualifying via the Europa if they choose to play strong teams in that competition as well. 

Rafa is free, has left China after 18 months...

bet the rumors are already going over which TGLITW will sack their manager and hire him before the end of the week

• Like 1
On 1/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, Archie Hunter said:

And hopefully there will be a better referee in charge of the game than the d******d who decided to allow Man City's first goal against us last night.

Spoke to my son yesterday & asked him his view on it,he said absolutely correct decision,as soon as Mings controlled the ball the Man City player was no longer offside,he knows no other profession where somebody can deny knowledge of something & then try to blame their lack of knowledge on somebody making the correct decision.

I'm not necessarily saying that some of the current laws in football make total sense at the moment but they are the laws whether people like them or not & have to be applied so why don't players & managers know them?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Spoke to my son yesterday & asked him his view on it,he said absolutely correct decision,as soon as Mings controlled the ball the Man City player was no longer offside,he knows no other profession where somebody can deny knowledge of something & then try to blame their lack of knowledge on somebody making the correct decision.

I'm not necessarily saying that some of the current laws in football make total sense at the moment but they are the laws whether people like them or not & have to be applied so why don't players & managers know them?

And isn't your son a referee of football?

So we are at the half way point if the season unless you are villa or everton with games to rearrange.. these are the games to be wedged in before the end of the season

villa v spurs

villa v everton

everton vman city

fulham v burnley

leeds v Southampton