Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having just read through this thread in full for the first time, I'll once again recite @Jerseyfornias words that have always stuck with me.  "There's something for everyone".  In the early

Couldn’t agree more. I was greedy, I went to 15 European shows and I’ve never seen Bruce look as happy as he did on that tour. The 2 highlights were Hammersmith and the amphitheater in Verona. Meeting

God these people suck at their jobs. Delay, delay and underwhelm.  

Posted Images

Finally had a chance to listen to the full show. It’s as good as I remembered it from the excellent CC boot; again the multitrack mix makes this a more than worthwhile upgrade. Love hearing Marty Rifkin’s pedal steel in such clarity (not as audio on Dublin unless you’re listening in 5.1 surround). There are also some lovely, subtle guitar parts (played by Frank Bruno, I believe) which I never picked up before on LID. 

The only grievance I have: the dickhead male fan who shouts nonsense throughout the show. “You’re a legend, Bruce” is among his (unwanted) contributions. 

• Like 5

Love this version of Long Time Comin' , especially when the horns kick in at the end

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
11 minutes ago, CM said:

Love this version of Long Time Comin' , especially when the horns kick in at the end

To paraphrase Pete Townsend, it's a moment of f*****g triumph !

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Quick question

If you were categorising these releases as either New or Previously from the Springsteen archive, but couldn't actually categorise it until next week, would it still classed as New at that point?

Asking for a friend... :ph34r:

I would put the categorising aside for some day in the future and instead sit back and enjoy the Western Stars movie.

2 hours ago, Nick21 said:

The only grievance I have: the dickhead male fan who shouts nonsense throughout the show. “You’re a legend, Bruce” is among his (unwanted) contributions. 

The 'Bruce I fuckin´ love you' guy was there again? (as often in London) If true [I did not have time yet to download and listen to the show, so I don't know if it is true], then you would expect the delay could have been used to edit him out...

On 8/21/2020 at 11:29 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

Anyone hearing this version of long walk home for the first time? 

I don't think I ever heard this before (now heard it on the 'trailer' in this topic).

The ESB version of Long Walk Home is much better (in live versions on the Magic Tour even more with Last To Die before it).

The Seeger version hints at how -with some rehearsal- it could sound very great on a future solo or small band tour.

For me the only criticisms I have are some of the reinterpretations are hit and miss but you could apply that to any tour. For the Live in Dublin CD I get a little bored with some of the minor key songs, but that aside it’s a great release. If you add in the 4 songs from the Live in Dublin ep it becomes a much more balanced listen. My City Of Ruins from New Orleans is one of my favourite performancees by Bruce full stop.Where was the performance of The Daring Young Man that was released from? I have an mp3 downloaded of it from somewhere. I love that song and hope it sees the light of day on the next Sessions release.

• Like 1

Yup, another Seeger lover here.

Saw two shows, Birmingham 9th November and the second Empire Pool show, Sunday 12th (night after this one).

Just so much to love but for me the highlight is the (IMHO now definitive) "Blinded by the light".

The Seeger version of this is one of my favourite Bruce tracks.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
28 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

The Seeger version of this is one of my favourite Bruce tracks.

The Live in Dublin version of Blinded was the only song from LiD I had on my ipod throughout middle school

• Like 1

The tour sold out everywhere in Europe over two legs, but the crowds in the USA were often half empty. I remember Bruce saying “we are few but we are mighty” to the sparse crowd before one show. As others have said, it’s as happy as I’ve seen him on stage at any time. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
17 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

We also now have Open All Night minus Patti’s vocal contribution. A plus or minus depending on your taste.

Not the only one available ;)

You’ve got to have a beer at least, if you want to sing Roadhouse…

The Pete Seeger influence continues with the big band version of “Open All Night”, as it was played on the 2006 tour, though there’s no Patti on this night so the “bop bops” she’d sing alongside Soozie are absent. This song takes the spot “Pay Me My Money Down” had in the tour opener and while there is some talk about getting the audience up – “Give them people some beers and get them off their asses!” – the opening of this one is mostly Bruce bantering about random things with the audience as Roy leads the instrumentals, and Bruce even succeeds in getting himself another free pint from the audience. Two successful crowd surfs and two free pints, Cape Town is serving Bruce well! 
Performance-wise this is excellent when we consider this song hadn’t been played live since July 2013 (most of its 2013 outings were in this arrangement) and Bruce does a very impressive job singing the first verse from 3:44 to 4:01. 4:01 is, of course, when The Band kicks in and it sounds, to paraphrase Bruce’s reaction, miraculous. I can appreciate not everyone loving The Horns or Bruce embracing the Seeger style, but when you hear this you can’t help but be enamoured or at the very least tap your foot. It’s a joy to listen to. This is also one of those unique performances where Bruce sings with a fantastic flow (4:18 – 4:36), but sounds both strong and exhausted at the same time, and it’s made even better by the fact that his wearing vocals lead to one of the highlights of the song to end the third verse: “A-goodnight, a-good luck, a-one a-two POWERSHIFT!” (5:06 – 5:08). This leads into another series of tremendous instrumentals from The E Street Band, and it seems like they’re working this all out on the fly in the best of ways, as Bruce has to let Roy know “it’s you!” before deciding, “Let’s give Charlie something to do!“. As I said in the review of the opening night, it was a tour of musical experimenting and that’s highlighted with this one. Following Charlie is Soozie at 5:44 who adds a celtic aura to the song with her fiddle playing before “Kansas City” Curt Ramm and Barry Danielian rouse us once again with their trumpet contributions. “The Mighty Men of The E Street Horn Section“? You betcha.

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/08/19/bruce-springsteen-live-downloads-review-january-28th-2014-cape-town-sa/

• Like 1

I stand corrected, although in my defence I haven’t listened to the 2014 recordings! A Seeger Sessions Band version then. Oh, and whoever covers Patti’s verse on When the Saints... really sings the hell out of it.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

I stand corrected, although in my defence I haven’t listened to the 2014 recordings! A Seeger Sessions Band version then. Oh, and whoever covers Patti’s verse on When the Saints... really sings the hell out of it.

It was Lisa Lowell replacing Patti for that song when Patti was absent. She did the same thing in Copenhagen and blew me away. Been a Lisa Lowell fan ever since.

• Like 2

i am really enjoying the positive comments of the people here who really love folk music and the seager sessions

i enjoy the history of it and im happy Bruce gave another lifetime to some of these really old songs

i actually only knew one of the folk songs when i got the original cd

but its not my cup of tea

i think i was badly scared at primary school being forced to sing folk music

3 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i am really enjoying the positive comments of the people here who really love folk music and the seager sessions

i enjoy the history of it and im happy Bruce gave another lifetime to some of these really old songs

i actually only knew one of the folk songs when i got the original cd

but its not my cup of tea

i think i was badly scared at primary school being forced to sing folk music

• Haha 1
On 8/22/2020 at 9:10 AM, soulsofthedeparted said:

Ah one night to early for me . Was their night after at wembley

Oh well

Night 2 was even better. An incredible version of does this bus stop as a greetings opening double to follow blinded, and also the river which is sadly missing from the SSB releases so far. 

• Like 3