Greasy Lake Community

I finally saw one in person!

7 hours ago, NewRomeo said:

Sounds as made up as the time you defended your sister's honor and Bruce's legacy from the evil impostor.

Is that your second post since joining in 2004?

Was your first one as pleasant as this one?

• Like 2

Just over an hour into his marathon show at West Hollywood’s Roxy Theatre in the summer of 1978, Bruce Springsteen offers a confession: He doesn’t know how to fix a broken-down car. While this information might seem irrelevant to the night’s proceedings, it’s an important breakthrough in the action-packed group therapy session that is an E Street Band concert. After all, the man on stage—sprightly and clean-shaven, not yet 30, seemingly fueled entirely by adrenaline—had written nearly half his songbook about cars: building and tearing them apart, driving till dawn and finding redemption underneath their hoods. (He was also dressing a little like a car mechanic around this time.) “But I think I understand,” he continues, “the spiritual and religious significance of the 396.” The crowd at the 500-capacity theater roars and Springsteen introduces “Racing in the Street,” a highlight from Darkness on the Edge of Town, released just a month earlier. On the record, it’s the bleakest thing he’s ever recorded; tonight, it becomes something else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

But did it have a Hurst on the floor.

But you must be either very young or don't live in the US. not to have seen one until now.

I’m 35 and have seen every other one under the sun except for a 69 with a 396. I’ve seen 69s with other motors

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Junglelander said:

I tried uploading photos with the original post

233C3E44-5330-4D75-B7A6-6B230C5B7933.jpeg

86EB95D5-6236-499C-BC1D-A7FCEBA95A21.jpeg

9DA310AB-4A32-4391-B3AF-FBADCC6DC982.jpeg

The steering wheel is on the wrong side, roads have no bends in them..or potholes

Americans are just crap drivers, everything they do is wrong

Wrong side of the road, can't use gears, press the horn to much...and don't get me started on those stupid cars that jump up and down WTF is that all about ?:D

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

The steering wheel is on the wrong side, roads have no bends in them..or potholes

Americans are just crap drivers, everything they do is wrong

Wrong side of the road, can't use gears, press the horn to much...and don't get me started on those stupid cars that jump up and down WTF is that all about ?:D

but they sure do know how to write songs about cars and girls :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Junglelander said:

I honestly didn’t know there was a difference. When he said 69 Chevy, I just assumed it was a camaro 

I don't believe a Camaro had a 396, and is why he blew it off his back. A Chevy 396 was in a Chevelle. Or Malibu 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't believe a Camaro had a 396, and is why he blew it off his back. A Chevy 396 was in a Chevelle. Or Malibu 

Chevy Camaro actually did have the 396 ci option for model year 69. Malibu was one of the many Chevelle models up to 77, Chevelles had the 396 engine options also.

• Thanks 2

I thought that there might be more model options for a 69 Chevy to have a 396.  According to Wiki the following could have a 396.

Bel Air

Biscayne

Camero

Caprice

Chevelle

Impala

Nova

I didn't see the El Camino mentioned, pickups didn't get a 396 until 70, and Corvettes I think had 427 as the big block option then.

• Thanks 1