Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Fuse most definitely does belong on 'The Rising'.  One of the best songs on there, it powerfully captures a natural reaction to grief and loss: reaffirmation of life and the desire for comfort.

Great album...definitely one of his best post millenium records with the E Street Band. It's loud, it's politically driven...but despite all that I love it as the songs are so good. Living i

Love Love LOVE The Magic album. I remember hearing Radio Nowhere on the radio and being blown away by how great it was/sounded at the time. I had only seen Bruce and the mighty E St Band on

Posted Images

I'd rank Magic alongside BTR, Darkness, Nebraska and GOTJ as his greatest studio albums.

As for I'll Work for Your Love. It's not amongst Bruce's best work but it is certainly one of his most Catholic!

I wonder about the connection between Sister Theresa from Child /Steel Mill days and I'll Work for Your Love and the allusion with Saint Theresa of Avila in both.

With Jesus visiting in Sister Theresa's bedroom in the first and seven drops of blood falling from Theresa's blouse in the second.

• Like 4

Great album...definitely one of his best post millenium records with the E Street Band.

It's loud, it's politically driven...but despite all that I love it as the songs are so good.

Living in the future I can take or leave, but the rest of the songs are top quality material.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3

Magic is the greatest Bruce Springsteen album post-TOL.

And the Magic Tour was the greatest Bruce Springsteen tour post-TOL.

So many great and very great songs on it, and the more political songs are even more relevant now than when they were originally written.

The only songs on Magic I would not classify as great songs are Terry's Song, Your Own Worst Enemy and You'll Be Comin' Down  (this song is apparently about the extra-marital affair Bruce had around that time), but they are still good songs.

All in all, a very great album, far superior to that very overrated Wrecking Ball album.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

A very strong album. Always loved it. It could have been even better if Bruce had gone the extra mile and included 'Hey, Blue Eyes', which was probably too similar too Terry's Song, musically speaking, to eventually make the final cut. Of course, nobody can really blame Bruce for choosing 'Terry's Song' at the time, but even without considering HBE, ending with 'Devil's Arcade' would have made the album stronger, IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
5 hours ago, TOWNFULLOFLOSERS said:

with the exception of possibly" iwfy love" 

Well, everyone’s of course entitled to his/her opinion; but I love this album, including IWFYL.  

It’s also one of Mr RJM’s faves. He was quite pleased (as was I!) when we got it at Mohegan Sun... 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Up until Western Stars I had Magic as his greatest post TOL album.

Great tunes, great lyrics and hardly a wasted track. 

Alongside Western Stars and the faultless GOTJ, they are 3 albums that are as near perfect as his early work.

Wrecking Ball doesn’t fall too far short either. 

• Like 3

If anyone has their doubts about "I'll Work For Your Love", I can only suggest to check out the Buffalo 22/11/09 version from the Archive Series. 

Combined with Bruce's request for the audience's support of local food banks of New York, it's the perfect performance. This thread gave me an opportunity to go back and listen to it again. Simply magical. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Radio Nowhere deserves great credit.His previous two albums were obviously acoustic driven departures so it was imperative that the first single released was to be a proper rock tune,and he knocked it out of the park in my eyes.I remember seeing on MTV something along the lines of 'The Boss is back' when they were reviewing the single.It has sounded great live as well since,even though I have yet to experience it:(

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Buffalo 22/11/09 version from the Archive Series.

I find myself going back and forth wondering if Buffalo or the Uncasville acoustic version is better... like most of the Magic album, it's a song that really breathes new life live

• Like 1

The Rising took me a while to warm up to. I liked it but wasn't sure how much. (Eventually I came to pretty much love it.) 

But Magic grabbed me from the opening notes and never let me go. Discovering he still had an absolute stone classic in him, even at what was for rock and roll an advanced age (I'm now nearly as old as he was when he wrote and recorded Magic), was unbelievably uplifting, especially during those dark times. (Oh, for our current times to only be as dark as those really damn dark times were.) 

That he later went on to release the also fantastic Wrecking Ball and then the stunning Western Stars is just... 1200x630wb.png

• Like 3

Ask me today and I’d say that “Magic” is Springsteen’s best post-TOL studio album.

”The Rising” is great, and by omitting 4 tracks it maybe could have been a better album than “Magic”.  (I’m thinking “Worlds Apart”, “Let’s Be Friends”, “Further On Up The Road”, and “Paradise”.) More is not always better.

“Wrecking Ball” was ok but too many non-ESB sounds (i.e. “Death To My Hometown”), non-ESB personnel (i.e. “Rocky Ground”), and songs that were already at least 6 years old (“American Land”, “Land Of Hope And Dreams”).

”Working On A Dream” was good but I’ll leave it at that.

”High Hopes” and “Western Stars” need not apply.

im with @Frank on Hay blue eyes

i think as Terry's song was a hidden track it would have been possible to include both

i had the bad headache the day i got magic (same day as i got seager sessions) 

the opening track was way too much noise, i got out of bed and turned it off

ive only come to really like radio nowhere from nugs, never the album version 

Magic is one of my favourite albums despite the political comment, there isnt a weak track

but something is murky/muddy/ terrible filth in the production ?

I ended up getting the Japanese edition and its a slightly more pleasent listen

was it remastered to a noticeable level for the remasters vol 2 ?

• Like 1

It’s his best album post-Born to Run. The best songs are not quite up to the level of the best songs on Darkness but it’s a better album overall. The only song I don’t particularly care for is Living in the Future and even that is pleasant enough sounding that I’ll let it play through. Hopefully he still has another one of these albums in him.

17 hours ago, Frank said:

A very strong album. Always loved it. It could have been even better if Bruce had gone the extra mile and included 'Hey, Blue Eyes', which was probably too similar too Terry's Song, musically speaking, to eventually make the final cut. Of course, nobody can really blame Bruce for choosing 'Terry's Song' at the time, but even without considering HBE, ending with 'Devil's Arcade' would have made the album stronger, IMHO. 

I consider "Devil's Arcade" the last song on the album. "Terry's Song" is sweet, but to my mind, it's a bonus track. 

Two weeks after the album's initial announcement, which included an eleven-song track listing, "Terry's Song" was added. It is a memorial song for Springsteen's long-time assistant Terry Magovern, who died on July 30, 2007. Some pressings of the CD pre-ordered through Sony Music or other channels did not contain the extra track. The album as sold through iTunes does not contain this track either.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

The album as sold through iTunes does not contain this track either.

There might be regional differences, but 'Terry's Song' is sold as part of Magic on my iTunes (lyrics included). Of course it was a bonus track at the time the album came out.

11 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Ask me today and I’d say that “Magic” is Springsteen’s best post-TOL studio album.

”The Rising” is great, and by omitting 4 tracks it maybe could have been a better album than “Magic”.  (I’m thinking “Worlds Apart”, “Let’s Be Friends”, “Further On Up The Road”, and “Paradise”.) More is not always better.

This is almost exactly how I feel, except it's the four that right smack dab in the center of the album: the three you named, and "The Fuse." I think "Paradise" not only does belong on the record thematically, I think he's never recorded a more emotionally powerful song. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

This is almost exactly how I feel, except it's the four that right smack dab in the center of the album: the three you named, and "The Fuse." I think "Paradise" not only does belong on the record thematically, I think he's never recorded a more emotionally powerful song. 

Paradise is the best song on the Rising in my opinion.

As powerful a song as he has ever written.

I would have omitted the Fuse, let's be friends and Counting on a miracle from the Rising and it would have been another masterpiece in my view.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Well, everyone’s of course entitled to his/her opinion; but I love this album, including IWFYL.  

It’s also one of Mr RJM’s faves. He was quite pleased (as was I!) when we got it at Mohegan Sun... 

I prefer the slow acoustic version when he sang it live pre show , it may have been in south africa.