Greasy Lake Community

4 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

This is almost exactly how I feel, except it's the four that right smack dab in the center of the album: the three you named, and "The Fuse." I think "Paradise" not only does belong on the record thematically, I think he's never recorded a more emotionally powerful song. 

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Paradise is the best song on the Rising in my opinion.

As powerful a song as he has ever written.

I would have omitted the Fuse, let's be friends and Counting on a miracle from the Rising and it would have been another masterpiece in my view.

The Fuse most definitely does belong on 'The Rising'.  One of the best songs on there, it powerfully captures a natural reaction to grief and loss: reaffirmation of life and the desire for comfort.

• Like 6
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Fuse most definitely does belong on 'The Rising'.  One of the best songs on there, it powerfully captures a natural reaction to grief and loss: reaffirmation of life and the desire for comfort.

Great album...definitely one of his best post millenium records with the E Street Band. It's loud, it's politically driven...but despite all that I love it as the songs are so good. Living i

Love Love LOVE The Magic album. I remember hearing Radio Nowhere on the radio and being blown away by how great it was/sounded at the time. I had only seen Bruce and the mighty E St Band on

Posted Images

I go back and forth between the Rising and Magic as the best post reunion album. The best songs of the The Rising are better than the best on Magic, but the low points of the Rising are lower as well.

The production of Magic has never bothered me to be honest. The only song I don’t really like is Gypsy biker. Lyrically it’s great but musically I find kind of bland. To my ears, Magic has more of a classic E Street band sound to it, so it has that advantage.

And I agree that the Fuse is one of the best on the Rising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I agree regarding “The Fuse”.

As for “Paradise”, I have zero sympathy for the suicide bomber narrator and I just can’t relate.  Plus the song is just a slog to get through, sonically.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, badlands78 said:

As for “Paradise”, I have zero sympathy for the suicide bomber narrator and I just can’t relate.  Plus the song is just a slog to get through, sonically.

The problem with the Fuse (or almost any Springsteen song for that matter) is not the lyrical content. It’s just a kind of crappy song musically. 

5 hours ago, badlands78 said:

As for “Paradise”, I have zero sympathy for the suicide bomber narrator and I just can’t relate. 

You can also trace a clear line between “My Beautiful Reward” and the new song, “Paradise.” “Yeah, they share some of the same issues. That transition point between life and death. When I wrote ‘Paradise’, I was looking for something kind of really quiet, and I think it was the week there’d been the teenage girl suicide bombers. It was devastating, and so the first verse came out of thinking about that, the loss of life and the false paradise. Then I’d met a woman who had lost her husband at the Pentagon, and she came to Asbury one night, and they were just long time fans I guess. I think I was thinking of that woman when I wrote the song, which is why it switches from Virginia because I wanted something that was outside the United States, the larger feeling of the effect of what’s going on in the world outside the States. Again I thought, ‘What do you miss?’ You miss the physicalness and the ability to touch somebody.

“I’ve had people close to me who died. I remember when I was young, that aching to touch the person again was very, very strong and it was very painful to realise that it just couldn’t happen. And the last verse is a survivor’s verse, where I think your desire to join the people you’ve lost is very strong. You have the situation where the person goes to that river, it’s the river of transition between life and death and they wade into it and they take themselves underneath.

“Somewhere in that nether world they see the person and it kinda comes up with that last line – they’re searching for the peacefulness that people feel comes with death and passing on, or with an imagined version of paradise that you’ll attain, and they get close enough and they just see emptiness. There’s a lot of different ways people could interpret it. I always felt it was, ‘Hey, life is here. It’s all you have and it’s here and now.’

“In the last couple of lines the person swims to the surface and feels the sun. That was my last song of the record.”

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/bruce-springsteen-i-think-i-just-wanted-to-be-great-part-2-21626/

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
6 hours ago, Declansk said:

I go back and forth between the Rising and Magic as the best post reunion album. The best songs of the The Rising are better than the best on Magic, but the low points of the Rising are lower as well.

The production of Magic has never bothered me to be honest. The only song I don’t really like is Gypsy biker. Lyrically it’s great but musically I find kind of bland. To my ears, Magic has more of a classic E Street band sound to it, so it has that advantage.

And I agree that the Fuse is one of the best on the Rising.

Coincidentally I watched the movie "25th hour" just yesterday and 'the fuse' was played at the very end 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Paradise is the best song on the Rising in my opinion.

As powerful a song as he has ever written.

I would have omitted the Fuse, let's be friends and Counting on a miracle from the Rising and it would have been another masterpiece in my view.

I just love countin, great song and fantastic on the Barcelona dvd

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I understand that most of us have ADHD, but why do we discuss The Rising on a Magic Thread, and Magic on a Rising thread? 

To avoid having to discuss that last album he put out?

• Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

The Rising could not be better by eliminating a few weak songs; as there are no weak songs on the album.

However, it could have been slightly improved -maybe- by a better sequencing.

• Like 1
On 8/23/2020 at 11:15 AM, Lampi said:

and the more political songs are even more relevant now than when they were originally written.

Whilst the odds may be high, I'm hoping Bruce might have channeled the anger evident in some of his radio shows into writing and recording a whole new album during lockdown, which he feels the need to release asap whilst it is still topical.

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, badlands78 said:

i agree the fuse is awsome

but Paradise is just soooooo dark and obsessive heartbreaking  its only half about the suicide bomber 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 10:10 PM, Born To Walk said:

Whilst the odds may be high, I'm hoping Bruce might have channeled the anger evident in some of his radio shows into writing and recording a whole new album during lockdown, which he feels the need to release asap whilst it is still topical.

tenor.gif

I'm starting to think I should have had a little more faith in myself.

• Like 1

One of the best albums of the 21st Century!

The only thing I don’t understand is how/why the last three song made the final cut: Devils; Long Walk & Last To Die ?!?! Great songs but they don’t belong with the first 8 tunes on the album! I guess he put them there to TRY and score political points ?!?! 

Also, 'Magic’ (which should be played on the radio to this day, especially around Halloween) and ‘Living In The Future‘ (why hasn’t this been played since 08) should NEVER have been used as political BS during the tour either ...

Regardless - this is the E Street album we needed back in 1992!

Brad

Only just come across this thread. Magic  is my favourite album since TOL. I actually enjoy his post Millennium output more than the 2 decades output that preceded the Millennium. 

Living in the Future was the track that immediately hit me on first hearing. Special because both Danny and Clarence had solos on the track, one of the last solos they both were to record.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

It's certainly my favourite ESB album post millenium. I was surprised that he hardly mentioned it in his autobiography.

Over political in my view, but so many great songs. Devils Arcade especially is an incredible song.

Production a bit compressed, but I think Bruce wanted it that way.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
8 hours ago, MacBruce said:

It's certainly my favourite ESB album post millenium. I was surprised that he hardly mentioned it in his autobiography.

Over political in my view, but so many great songs. Devils Arcade especially is an incredible song.

Production a bit compressed, but I think Bruce wanted it that way.

I love devil's arcade 

Its such a strong album its hard to pick one favourite 

• Bruuuuce! 1
On 8/24/2020 at 7:42 AM, Rizla said:

Meh, but the song kind of stinks. As I’ve said many times, lyrics are very rarely the issue with a Springsteen song (Real Man aside). But great lyrics do not make a great song. His last album had strong lyrics but the songs stunk.

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Meh, but the song kind of stinks. As I’ve said many times, lyrics are very rarely the issue with a Springsteen song (Real Man aside). But great lyrics do not make a great song. His last album had strong lyrics but the songs stunk.

how many times have you said it ? Must be a lot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

The Rising was a “big” Bruce album. It’s nowhere near the quality of Magic though.

From The Rising, the title track and MCOR are top drawer. Some good songs in there but, in general, it gets its kudos from the circumstances it was released under.

Magic is a truely great album. Up there with his best. People moan about the production but bad production can’t disguise great songs unless you’re deaf or daft.

Girls, I’ll Work, Magic, Enemy are all brilliant.

Long Walk is exceptional.

Devils Arcade exists in that rarified air that only his best songs inhabit. 

Stunning album only bettered by Western Stars in his later days. 

• Like 5

For what it’s worth, Magic was the album that re-introduced me to Bruce. I was a kid in the 80s and loved BITUSA. As a 7-year-old, I couldn’t understand TOL when it came out. But when I heard Radio Nowhere on the radio, I thought “whoa, what’s this? I love this.” 

I bought the album, loved the whole the whole thing, and had the opportunity since to dive into the back catalogue. 

• Bruuuuce! 3
On 9/6/2020 at 1:29 AM, Jertucky said:

And as I've said many times, The Fuse is a thrillingly sexy song, a real knee-trembler.  That's in the music as well as (some of) the lyrics.
But if you don't get that, well ..... 

• Thanks 2