Greasy Lake Community

Frankie Fell in Love

Overall, I think High Hopes is a forgettable and kind of stupid album... but there's this one song on it that's always stood out to me.

"Frankie Fell in Love"

IMO, it's one of Bruce's best rockers of the 21st century, and reminds me of the loose, fun songs of the River era. Anyone else feel that if it weren't on High Hopes, it would get more recognition?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Overall, I think High Hopes is a forgettable and kind of stupid album... but there's this one song on it that's always stood out to me.

"Frankie Fell in Love"

IMO, it's one of Bruce's best rockers of the 21st century, and reminds me of the loose, fun songs of the River era. Anyone else feel that if it weren't on High Hopes, it would get more recognition?

The whole album would get more recognition, if all would look at the album as a new album and not an outtake album. Do we look at Tracks or The Promise as an outtake albums? I don't, I think of them as new albums with new songs. 

BTW: the hit on that album is Harry's Place! :wub: Right RJM! 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Frank said:

“The church mouse is snoring” line is one of them.

I'd personally give that distinction to:

"Do, do do doo do do do doo
Do, do do doo do do do do doo
Do, do do doo do do do doo
Let's be friends
Let's be friends"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There a few excellent songs on High Hopes but Frankie fell in love isn't one of them in my honest opinion.

Hunter of invisible game (brilliant song), Down in the Hole and The Wall are the three real highlights from this album of outtakes, re-recordings and cover versions.

• Like 3

Hunter of Invisible Game is top ten Bruce for me. I’d love an audio version with the elongated intro of the video. I don’t mind Frankie... nice sound, I don’t pay too much attention to the lyrics. I actually think if you think of High Hoped as an outtakes album, rather than a new album, it works a lot better. Most of the album is of a high standard, it just doesn’t feel like a cohesive listen. I don’t like Just Like Fire would though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

"Frankie Fell in Love"

I personally love the song.....and getting to see Bruce and Steve clowning around live did not hurt.....by far my favorite song on the album although I do also love Just Like Fire Would

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Half of this album (Tracks 2) is pretty great.  The other half is pretty dire. The ongoing love fest for Tom Morello on this album makes me queasy. 

Maybe they shared a double room on tour or something.   

• Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

The fact that it was almost played right after "Frankie" makes it so much better. I can only imagine that pairing in concert...

Frankie wasn’t played the night I was there; that was the following night.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Half of this album (Tracks 2) is pretty great.  The other half is pretty dire. The ongoing love fest for Tom Morello on this album makes me queasy. 

Maybe they shared a double room on tour or something.   

giphy_(4).gif

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

A Stevie double header....did you get Two Hearts with FFIL at your show ?....I forget 

Yes!!!  It was Stevie’s first night back after filming Lilyhammer.  When I heard Steve was going to be there,  I said to Mr RJM, ‘we’re gonna get some River Rockers... bet we get Two Hearts!!’ :D

Side note: we also got Hearts of Stone and Talk to Me!!!  

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

19 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

So is a 1/4 of The River Album or 1/4 of Born in the USA, Tracks before Tracks 1? :P

In a way yes. There are albums that all came out at once and then albums he labored over to a huge extent. Both of those finished projects could have been 3 or 4 different records. I read a book by Clinton Heylin who goes into incredible detail. It's fascinating. Over time, all of these wonderful outtakes have come to light through deluxe sets and tracks, not to mention the Greatest hits record in 95 or Essential in 2003. I love all this shit at the end of the day.

• Like 2

It’s a fun, loose, silly song. Nothing wrong with that. Not my favorite, far from his worst. On a grading scale where Thunder Road is an A+ and almost all of the last album is an F, I’d give it a B-.

On August 25, 2020 at 3:00 PM, Accountant Pete said:

Frankie Fell in Love is a fun song. But so corny. I think Bruce intended that. But what if this was the only song that some benighted person who had never heard Bruce listened too? Shudder.

And Hunter of Invisible Game is Bruce's best post apocalyptic song. 

Not a fan of Hunter....but that is still a great point......

8 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Yes!!!  It was Stevie’s first night back after filming Lilyhammer.  When I heard Steve was going to be there,  I said to Mr RJM, ‘we’re gonna get some River Rockers... bet we get Two Hearts!!’ :D

Side note: we also got Hearts of Stone and Talk to Me!!!  

I was actually turning down the orphaned ticket until the Steve announcement came down.....then I HAD to try to make it work....

• Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Not a fan of Hunter....but that is still a great point......

i think its a song the ladies like more than the men

or am i just thinking of the video...

15 hours ago, Jertucky said:

It’s a fun, loose, silly song. Nothing wrong with that. Not my favorite, far from his worst. On a grading scale where Thunder Road is an A+ and almost all of the last album is an F, I’d give it a B-.

that's quite high praise coming from you ;)

• Like 1