Greasy Lake Community

Why Wasn't Bruce There for this One?

I may have to put Neil Young in my top-10 fave guitarists list.

1- Prince

2- Hendrix

3- L. Buckingham

4- Page

5- S.R. Vaughan

6- Clapton

7- E. Van-Halen

8- Buddy Guy

9- K. Richards

10. BB King Neil Young

• Like 1

Neil Young is the antithesis of just about every "technical" player out there. 

My personal favourite description of guitar playing, is from a review in Musician magazine of the playing on Change Your Mind from the excellent Sleeps With Angels album: "you can hear Young's sideburns growing as he considers moving a finger".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, JustDan said:

I may have to put Neil Young in my top-10 fave guitarists list.

1- Prince

2- Hendrix

3- L. Buckingham

4- Page

5- S.R. Vaughan

6- Clapton

7- E. Van-Halen

8- Buddy Guy

9- K Richards

10. BB King Neil Young

It's lovely how people's tastes vary.  I'd pick only two guitar players from that list in my top ten.  

Powerful list, though.

• Like 1

Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton & George Harrison ... my gut feeling is that those people (except Neil Young) and Bruce Springsteen don't go together actually very well. Just remember the controversy about "Tweeter and the Monkey".

In his recent "From His Home To Yours" radio shows, Bruce speaks fondly of Bob and features lots of Dylan stuff, but if you look at Bob Dylan own Theme Time Radio Hours shows, in 3 seasons only 1 Springsteen song was featured and his comments were sarcastic to say the least: Cadillac Ranch (Episode 12: Cars)

“I think Bruce is from New Jersey… Tearin’ up the highway like a big old dinosaur’; first time I heard this song I thought it was. ‘Tearing up the highway like Dina Shore!'”

Or when playing Bob Seger and The Last Heard: Sock it to Me Santa (Episode 34: Christmas and New Year)

“Some people call Bob the poor man’s Bruce Springsteen, but personally, I always thought Bruce was the rich man’s Bob Seger…love ‘em both though.”

The Jury regarding Tweeter and The Monkey Man is (still) out:

"Bruce Springsteen was so hugely popular in the 1980s that when Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne released an album in 1988 as the Traveling Wilburys — The Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1 — they included one song that’s an obvious homage to him. Or maybe it’s a parody — it’s hard to say". https://www.njarts.net/350-jersey-songs/tweeter-and-the-monkey-man-the-traveling-wilburys/

"A slightly more romantic story tells that Tom Petty and Dylan visit a Springsteen concert at the Memorial Sports Arena in Los Angeles at the end of April 1988. One of the songs played is “Part Man, Part Monkey” (baby, that’s me) and those words, plus the massive presence of Clarence Clemons with his honky hooter, inspire Tweeter and Monkey Man. The references then are the ornaments for a cinematic story in the best Springsteen tradition, an action thriller about a triangular relationship, with petty crime, car chases, shootings, a fatal finale and a film noirish, melancholic coda in black and white. Word choice, rhythm and narrative style, however, have a Dylanesque touch, resulting in a peculiar mirror effect: Dylan who writes a Dylanesque Springsteen song." https://bob-dylan.org.uk/archives/9399

• Like 1
1 hour ago, el sergio said:

Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton & George Harrison ... my gut feeling is that those people (except Neil Young) and Bruce Springsteen don't go together actually very well. Just remember the controversy about "Tweeter and the Monkey".

In his recent "From His Home To Yours" radio shows, Bruce speaks fondly of Bob and features lots of Dylan stuff, but if you look at Bob Dylan own Theme Time Radio Hours shows, in 3 seasons only 1 Springsteen song was featured and his comments were sarcastic to say the least: Cadillac Ranch (Episode 12: Cars)

“I think Bruce is from New Jersey… Tearin’ up the highway like a big old dinosaur’; first time I heard this song I thought it was. ‘Tearing up the highway like Dina Shore!'”

Or when playing Bob Seger and The Last Heard: Sock it to Me Santa (Episode 34: Christmas and New Year)

“Some people call Bob the poor man’s Bruce Springsteen, but personally, I always thought Bruce was the rich man’s Bob Seger…love ‘em both though.”

When Bob is serious and not fooling around trying to come up with clever lines he sings a different tune. I remember an interview with Jakob Dylan quoting his father's advice to him (from my memory): "If you want to be a song writer listen to Bruce Springsteen. That man can bolt out a novel in two lines!"

• Like 2
2 hours ago, el sergio said:

ive never heard Bruce even remotely be sarcastic or unkind about another artist 

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ive never heard Bruce even remotely be sarcastic or unkind about another artist 

There is a quote from the 70's of him saying something along the line that "Kiss' music is for people that wants to crawl back in their mother's womb". Pretty unkind if you ask me. :P

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

There is a quote from the 70's of him saying something along the line that "Kiss' music is for people that wants to crawl back in their mother's womb". Pretty unkind if you ask me. :P

i bet he wouldn't say that now