Greasy Lake Community

Let's try to have a think about peak versions then...

"Thunder Road" - as Zoom said 84/85 versions are the best. I like the 99/00 ones too;

"Tenth" - 99/00;

"Night" - 75, or any era really, I've made another point about this in my upcoming review of Cape Town #3 2014;

"Backstreets" - My favourite live version is MSG 88, and there few bad live versions in general, but it's one where the studio holds up on its own (not to say the other 7 don't);

"Born to Run" - again as Zoom said, 84/85. LA '85 is one of my most played Archive tracks;

"She's The One" - Those '88 versions are pretty damn good;

"Meeting Across The River" - Studio and live are never too dissimilar. I like both equally honestly. 

"Jungleland" - Tempe '80. "Tonight? Tonight!" 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Let's try to have a think about peak versions then...

"Thunder Road" - as Zoom said 84/85 versions are the best. I like the 99/00 ones too;

"Tenth" - 99/00;

"Night" - 75, or any era really, I've made another point about this in my upcoming review of Cape Town #3 2014;

"Backstreets" - My favourite live version is MSG 88, and there few bad live versions in general, but it's one where the studio holds up on its own (not to say the other 7 don't);

"Born to Run" - again as Zoom said, 84/85. LA '85 is one of my most played Archive tracks;

"She's The One" - Those '88 versions are pretty damn good;

"Meeting Across The River" - Studio and live are never too dissimilar. I like both equally honestly. 

"Jungleland" - Tempe '80. "Tonight? Tonight!" 

Thunder Road - '85. No question.

Tenth - can't beat Live 1975-85 with Miami Horns

Night - NYE '80

Backstreets - either '77 or the extremely emotional Tampa 2008 opener. Seriously never heard a version that raw and powerful

Born to Run - agree with 84/85, but I also like the recent Jersey '81 version

She's the One - '75 all the way

Meeting - as long as Jungleland comes after, any version is fine with me

Jungleland - agree with Tempe

• Like 2

Thunder Road - LA 30.9.85. Then the 2016 show closing versions, they were magic in the night.

Tenth - Hammersmith 75, it needs to be played at breakneck speed. Then the Live 75-85 version; "the Miami Horns, ladies and gentlemen!".

Night - Nassau 80

Backstreets - Hammersmith 75 or Tempe 80.

Born To Run - Live 75-85.

She's Ghe One - 1988 w/ Ain't Got You intro. MSG Archive, for instance. The Bo Diddely beat is soooo precise.

Meeting - any version is fine.

Jungleland - any 78 version, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
On 8/25/2020 at 11:47 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

i would prefer to see Jungleland retired

i know its Bruce's song not Clarence's and i know Jake is really growing into the sax part but its just not the same without the big man

it could make the odd appearance in full album shows but id like Bruce to play C's part on harmonica or guitar 

I was at the show which I believe was Clarence’s last ever performance of Jungleland- Baltimore 2009. Jake is great but you’re right, there was just about Clarence’s present that can’t be recreated. It’s just not the same without him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I find it hard to say anything critical about the Born To Run album....it's pretty much perfect .....I am a big fan of the  live call and response between Clarence's iconic She's The One sax solo and 100,000 people singing WHOA SHES THE ONE live though.....maybe waiting 23 years and 11 shows to finally experience that had something to do with it though

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

All BTR songs sound very fresh in 1976 and 1977, terrific live versions.

The greatest live versions of Night were in 1977.

Backstreets, She's The One, Thunder Road, Jungleland, Born To Run 1976, 1977, 1978.

(Edit: after reading ENJ's post; some -or many- very great performances of She's The One in the Reunion Era).

Thunder Road the greatest version could also be the No Nukes version (official video on the Video Anthology).

Born To Run the greatest version could also be -as already said by others- the studio version.

Tenth Avenue the Live 1975/85 version. I don't think it is that great on the album; the song was made for live performance.

Meeting Across The River...something more about Meeting Across The River. The greatest version of Meeting could also be the studio version, and there are not that many live versions to compare with anyway, as it always was a rarity live. Brucebase lists only 70 known performances, and only 14 known versions pre-Reunion Era (from 1975, Spring Tour 1976 and the Darkness Tour). So the band -probably- never learned to play the song very well by hard labour on the road.

Further evidence is the version from Baltimore 2009 I heard not so long ago, from the last full Born To Run performance with Clarence; I remember listening to it, laying on the couch [You don't listen to a full Born To Run album performance while doing the dishes!] and thinking something like 'Wow, that is really good'. So playing many full Born To Run album perfomances on the final leg of the WOAD Tour [which by that time only in name was the WOAD Tour, but that is something for another topic] could be an argument that by hard labour the greatest versions of Meeting were on the WOAD Tour! (almost a post for the unpopular opinions topic!)

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
8 minutes ago, Lampi said:

All BTR songs sound very fresh in 1976 and 1977, terrific live versions.

The greatest live versions of Night were in 1977.

Backstreets, She's The One, Thunder Road, Jungleland,  Born To Run 1976, 1977, 1978.

Thunder Road greatest version could also be the No Nukes version (official video on the Video Anthology).

For Born To Run the greatest version could also be -as alreadt said by others- the studio version.

Tenth Avenue the Live 1975/85 version. I don't think it is that great on the album; the song was made for live performance.

Meeting Across The River...something more about Meeting Across The River. The greatest version of Meeting could also be the studio version, and there are not that many live versions to compare with anyway, as it always was a rarity live. Brucebase lists only 70 known performances, and only 14 known versions pre-Reunion Era (from 1975, Spring Tour 1976 and the Darkness Tour). So the band -probably- never learned to play the song very well by hard labour on the road.

Further evidence is the version from Baltimore 2009 I heard not so long, from the last full Born To Run performance with Clarence; I remember listening to it, laying on the couch [well.. you don't listen to a full Born To Run album performance while doing the dishes!] and thinking something like 'wow, that is really good'. So playing many full Born To Run album perfomances on the final leg of the WOAD Tour [which by that time only in name was the WOAD Tour, but that is something for another topic] could be an argument that by hard labour the greatest versions of Meeting were on the WOAD Tour! (almost a post for the unpopular opinions topic!)

i would never consider your opinions to be unpopular because you always articulate your reaons why so well 

To me you and @Dr. Zoom are like the  older really cool kids at school who played in the jazz band - after one year of lessons we all got to join the orchestra but only the really good players got into the jazzband 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Only realise now both of you had a very special relationship as you started as enemies on this forum and became very good -cyber- friends.

things got pretty heated for a while, but in retrospect some of it was also as funny as hell !:lol:

But yes my troll became my friend :)

this should be a lesson to all

there is always a real feeling warm human being behind every snippy turn of phrase on the internet 

despite being called out as a hall moniter on a number of occasions (by someone else) im not a nark, im not a squeeler and i don't go running back to my mummy's apron strings when someone takes issue with something ive said 

i don't see what ever went down recently  could have been worse and hello ! we got over our unpleasantness and became freinds 

or maybe im obviously not as sensitive as some people might think ;)

On 8/25/2020 at 6:36 PM, sleepyjoe said:

In my opinion BTR is the album that MOST comes alive on stage. The songs themselves are some of my favorite in his entire catalogue, but the studio recordings have always fallen flat for me. Any live version though and holy shit, what a powerful, epic album. After hearing the '75 and '78 versions of "She's the One," I literally have never thought to listen to the studio recording of it since. Same with '77 "Backstreets," the NYE '80 "Night," and any live "Thunder Road," "10th Ave" or "Jungleland"...

For me at least, BTR is so good live that I rarely ever listen to the studio album itself.

I partly agree with this. Though I never felt the record fell flat. That's more Darkness' problem. Especially tracks like Born to Run and Jungleland rarely sound as good on a live recording as they do on the actual album. Yet seeing them live is another matter. I've seen more than my fair share of Born to Run live but it still overpowers me every time. 

• Like 1