Greasy Lake Community

Met Bruce? What did you get signed?

Since I was a young lad, I’ve always been interested in autographs. I used to write to footballers asking for signed photos and more often than not would get one returned. As I’ve got a lot older the appeal of signed stuff remains, but it always means much more to meet the person myself - not least to ensure it is a genuine signature. 

2 days before I hoped to meet Bruce, I bought a brand new vinyl of Born to Run wrapped in cellophane. 48 hours later, it was unwrapped and the iconic cover signed in black permanent marker pen. Never played, and never will be. It’s now one of my most treasured possessions. 

Been thinking what other stuff Lakers might have got signed if they have met Bruce? I know a few here were at the book signings a while back. 

DFAD6986-BC10-4590-BCBC-1FE45ED1BF8E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 3

Unfortunately I have never met Bruce, though came close to shaking his hand before a concert in Dublin. Too many people around i'm afraid.

Met Garry Tallent and Danny Federici though in 1981 in Edinburgh during the River tour. Really nice lads they were.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Perisic said:

That's a cool one! @doesthisbusstop

I bought a Thunder Road shirt after a show a couple of days before he signed it, so I only wore it once, back in 2008. Still hangs in my bedroom. And a couple of cd's/vinyls/tickets.

Got a couple of Steve's "autographs" too, just says 'Stevie was here'.

Brilliant! So you’ve met Bruce more than once? Or you acquired the signed CDs and vinyls? 

23 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Brilliant! So you’ve met Bruce more than once? Or you acquired the signed CDs and vinyls? 

I met him once in 2008 in Brussels after the Antwerp show, was walking around with that shirt and bumped into him, he noticed the shirt and I said it was a great show (it really was, I think it was the only indoor show of the summer leg), asked him if he wanted to sign the shirt and he said sure. Didn't have a smartphone back then and didn't have a camera on me so no picture but I didn't care at the time, I was just stoked to meet him. Glad I had a marker on me though!

The cd's, vinyls and tickets were signed by him outside hotels when I was doing the whole hotel routine between roll calls, between The Rising and WOAD. Don't do that anymore though, way too many people the last couple of tours. Don't count those as meeting him compared to that time in 2008, just too many people so it's like he's just signing as much as possible before going inside. Don't blame him lol.

Steve's autographs were outside those hotels and after a Disciples show last year.

• Like 3

I met him a couple of times. First time was the day before the concert at the SECC, 1993, just after he arrived for the soundcheck. I was carrying a Southside bootleg video so I got him to sign the cover - blank so he didn't know what it was. My avatar is just after he signed the cover.

Next time was 1996 in Belfast for the GOTJ Tour. Totally unexpected, on my way back from a shop to the pub.  He reached for my book or whatever it was but I couldn't straighten my arms cos of the sweets and pop.  I told him it didn't matter cos he already signed his autograph for me back in Glasgow, 3 years earlier.

He sort of gave me an odd look then carried on his way. I was a bit miffed he'd not remembered me. Hahaha! Mind you, I'd already been in the pub before going to the shop so I was a little light-headed.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Perisic said:

I met him once in 2008 in Brussels after the Antwerp show, was walking around with that shirt and bumped into him, he noticed the shirt and I said it was a great show (it really was, I think it was the only indoor show of the summer leg), asked him if he wanted to sign the shirt and he said sure. Didn't have a smartphone back then and didn't have a camera on me so no picture but I didn't care at the time, I was just stoked to meet him. Glad I had a marker on me though!

The cd's, vinyls and tickets were signed by him outside hotels when I was doing the whole hotel routine between roll calls, between The Rising and WOAD. Don't do that anymore though, way too many people the last couple of tours. Don't count those as meeting him compared to that time in 2008, just too many people so it's like he's just signing as much as possible before going inside. Don't blame him lol.

Steve's autographs were outside those hotels and after a Disciples show last year.

Nice one! Only a seasoned campaigner keeps a marker pen in their pocket B)

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Eileen said:

I met him a couple of times. First time was the day before the concert at the SECC, 1993, just after he arrived for the soundcheck. I was carrying a Southside bootleg video so I got him to sign the cover - blank so he didn't know what it was. My avatar is just after he signed the cover.

Next time was 1996 in Belfast for the GOTJ Tour. Totally unexpected, on my way back from a shop to the pub.  He reached for my book or whatever it was but I couldn't straighten my arms cos of the sweets and pop.  I told him it didn't matter cos he already signed his autograph for me back in Glasgow, 3 years earlier.

He sort of gave me an odd look then carried on his way. I was a bit miffed he'd not remembered me. Hahaha! Mind you, I'd already been in the pub before going to the shop so I was a little light-headed.

Good job you had a camera with you - I don’t think the word selfie existed in 1993! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, gus said:

I had him sign my arm a couple times. The problem is i don't remember because i thought i was going to pass out. Also had Jake and Little Steven sign . Had all inked in.

This here folks is a Die Hard Springsteen fan. Good for you Gus, good for you!!

• Like 3

I've never met Bruce in the sense that I would've had the chance to properly talk to him, but I've got my 18 Tracks and Magic album covers signed. ❤ I think I'd like to have my arm signed (just for fun, not going to have it tattooed). 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, *Janey* said:

I've never met Bruce in the sense that I would've had the chance to properly talk to him. 

I doubt that too many fans without connections to him have. I’m not even sure what I would discuss with him that he hasn’t heard from fans many times before. In the space of two minutes I got a selfie photo and an album signed and that’s just about as much as I ever really hoped for. 

• Like 1

Was with you at the hotel when you got your brand new BTR signed. He signed my Western Stars vinyl before we all headed off to the film premiere. 

Before that he signed for me in the High Court in '98; at the St Luke's church Seeger Sessions recording; and at the Darkness premiere at the Southbank. 

image4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Have seen Bruce maybe a dozen times and got a dozen or more autographed items over the years.

I can think of at least 4 times I intentionally brought an item and got it signed for someone else. 

Please don't think it is easy, there were dozens of times we struck out, or got a wave as he drove by or just missed the opportunity.

Here are a couple of my items, and my favorite picture of meeting him - and yes, he giggled when I asked him to do it 

20190715_203116.jpg9137_3.jpg20161130_122722.jpg101_0751 (2).jpg

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mjmal51 said:

Met Bruce and Patti in quiet area of hotel, we had a chat, didn't ask for autograph or selfie, happy with that.

That would be my approach too, on the basis that he's probably sick of selfies and signing stuff.... even if he'd not show it.

Always thought I'd ask him about another artist that I know he likes, that I'm a fan of too. As someone said on this thread, he's probably already heard every question about him, at some point, so might be more keen to chat about someone like Lucinda Williams or Shane Macgowan, for example.

• Like 1