Greasy Lake Community

Favorite player(not best) in each of the four major Sports, plus for our Euro people Football. 

Baseball: 1. Ted Simmons, 2. Lou Brock, 3. Bob Gibson, 4. Reggie Jackson, 5. Roberto Clemente. 

American Football: 1. Peyton Manning 2. Jackie Smith, 3. Roger Wehrli, 4. Dan Deirdorf 5. Marshall Faulk 

Hockey: 1. Red Berensen, 2. Gary Unger, 3. Brett Hull, 4. Ken Dryden, 5. Ryan O'Reily 

Basketball: 1. Magic, 2. Larry Bird, 3. Walt Frazier, 4. Hakeem Olajuwon 5. Moses Malone

Euro Football: 1. Kevin DeBruyne, 2. David Silva, 3. Fernandinho 4. Danny Ings 5. Antoine Griezmann

Baseball: 1. Roberto Clemente  2. Willie Stargell  3. Barry Bonds  4. Manny Sanguillen  5. Bo Jackson

Football" 1. Jack Lambert  2. Joe Greene  3.  Rod Woodson  4.  Hines Ward  5. Jerome Bettis

Hockey: 1. Mario Lemieux  2. Sidney Crosby  3. Jaromir Jagr  4. Kris Letang  5. Rick Tocchet

Basketball: 1. Michael Jordan  2. Larry Bird  3. Shaq  4. Scottie Pippen  5. Jerry West

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Football: Zico, Ronaldo (The Brazilian), Hugo Sanchez, Chris Malkin, Careca

OK, I kind of knew this would happen in this category, because I'm kind of new to this, but I had to goggle all them! 

5 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

American Football - Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, George Kittle, OBJ, Colin Kaepernick

Football - John Barnes, Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff, ***Luis Suarez, Antonio Di Natale 

*** A racist and a cannibal, therefore ineligible.

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, I kind of knew this would happen in this category, because I'm kind of new to this, but I had to goggle all them! 

Careca! One of my favourite goals. Watch the change of pace in the build-up.

The two sports I have most interest in: 

Football: Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, Socrates (Brazil ‘82), C.Ronaldo, Scholes. 

Cricket: Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Ian Botham, Ben Stokes. 

Fav teams: 

Football: 

United (94 double and 99 treble)

Brazil 1982 World Cup. 

Cricket: 

Lancashire mid/late 80’s. 

West Indies mid 1980’s. 

• Like 1

Baseball: 1. Mantle 2. Berra 3. Mattingly 4. Jeter 5. Rivera

American Football: 1. Jim Brown 2. LT 3. Singletary 4. Griese 5. Starr

Hockey: 1. Giacomin 2. Orr 3. Gretsky 4. Dryden 5. Jean Beliveau

Basketball: 1. Kareem 2. Russell 3. Magic 4. Bird 5. Ray Allen

Euro Football: 1. Kane 2. KDB 3. Son 4. Messi 5. Rashford

ETA: Honorable Mentions - BB: Paul O'Neil/Pettitte; NFL: Bo; NHL: Messier; NBA: Oscar Robertson; footie: Sterling

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

How the fuck did I forget about Orr, That would be my #4 and Dryden #5

#4? Your problem is you're too young to have watched him in his prime. Amazing talent. The only reason Eddie Giacomin beat him on my list is that I played goalie, and Eddie was the NYR goalie then, and played w/o a mask when I first started watching. When men were men, and goalies were crazy.

8 minutes ago, JimCT said:

#4? Your problem is you're too young to have watched him in his prime. Amazing talent. The only reason Eddie Giacomin beat him on my list is that I played goalie, and Eddie was the NYR goalie then, and played w/o a mask when I first started watching. When men were men, and goalies were crazy.

Mr. Goalie Glenn Hall 

image.thumb.png.c3ff1429dac73a1ed3d7c6c8da11d301.png

• Like 1

Baseball: Babe Ruth, as he is the only one i have heard of

American Football: nope, got nowt

Hockey: I liked that movie about the ducks, but that's it.

Basketball: Easy, Lemon, Curly and 3 others from the Harlem Globetrotters 

Football:  1, Super Mac 2, Kevin Keegan 3, Alan Shearer 4, Peter Beardsley 5, Messi

• Bruuuuce! 1

Rugby and im having a long post because its the one thing my country do that make us the best in the world 

Pine tree - Sir Collin Meads KNZM MBE Lock & #8, (sheep farmer) Captained NZ 11 times, greatest All Black ever from when men were men, played in a match in SA with a broken arm "at least we won the bloody game"

Sir Brian Lochore ONZ KNZM OBE also a lock & #8 All Black player, Captain,  and latter coach of the '85 inaugural world cup winning team,   manager and selector.  

Buck (Wayne) Shelford MBE legendary All Black #8 of my youth, got his scrotum ripped by a French boot  at the bottom of a  ruck, resulting in one testicle hanging free -  calmly  got physio to stitch it up and he played on with 4 missing teeth eventually having to go off with concussion (i may still have a crush on him despite the cauliflower ears) when he was captain he revitalized the Haka by taking the team to get propper lessons 

Laurie Mains MNZM Fullback All Black but more importantly legendary Otago player and  coach - when Laurie Mains said Jump one did not say why but how high ?! also coached the All Blacks to the final of the world cup that we would have won had we not been poisoned by the South African hotel staff (that is true btw and no its not in the movie all the All Blacks puking on the feild durring the final)

Richie McCaw ONZ Flanker Captained the All Blacks 110/ 148 tests played

honestly so much has been written about him and his unmatched achievements in world rugby all ill add is he might have played for Canterbury but he was born and raised  out of Oamaru in North Otago and went to school in Dunedin 

i think its unfair to compare the modern professional players to the great hard men of the armature era 

190719_Richie_McCaw.pngRitchie twice world cup winner

Laurie Mainsdownloadfile-97.jpg

because of Laurie Mains Otago won the NPC - one of the best days of my life, Dad and i were theredownloadfile-210.jpg

below Buck ( hubba hubba) WAYNESHELF-630x400.jpg

below Sir Brian

downloadfile-129.jpg

below the great Pine Tree

Colin_Meads.jpg

1477715563672.jpgSir Colin and Sir Brian 

a few more of Laurie Mains Pride of the South

45POOZADBRAYFCZECPORMMFQGY.jpg

1571865777409.jpg

mini_magick20200829-1-1kfe5dk.jpg

• Bruuuuce! 1
On 8/28/2020 at 8:32 AM, Jimmy James said:

Favorite player(not best) in each of the four major Sports, plus for our Euro people Football. 

Baseball: 1. Ted Simmons, 2. Lou Brock, 3. Bob Gibson, 4. Reggie Jackson, 5. Roberto Clemente. 

American Football: 1. Peyton Manning 2. Jackie Smith, 3. Roger Wehrli, 4. Dan Deirdorf 5. Marshall Faulk 

Hockey: 1. Red Berensen, 2. Gary Unger, 3. Brett Hull, 4. Ken Dryden, 5. Ryan O'Reily 

Basketball: 1. Magic, 2. Larry Bird, 3. Walt Frazier, 4. Hakeem Olajuwon 5. Moses Malone

Euro Football: 1. Kevin DeBruyne, 2. David Silva, 3. Fernandinho 4. Danny Ings 5. Antoine Griezmann

if i were American id like hockey and baseball

i kind of like the aggressiveness of hockey 

Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

if i were American id like hockey and baseball

i kind of like the aggressiveness of hockey 

You know I grew up on Baseball. But as I'm sitting trying to watch a ballgame, I just can't stand the slowest of the game anymore. 

52 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

You know I grew up on Baseball. But as I'm sitting trying to watch a ballgame, I just can't stand the slowest of the game anymore. 

that's why im not taking you to a 5 day cricket test first up :D

gotta break you in with this new fangled T20 20 over thing :lol:

but baseball sounds like summer and beer and hot dogs and all things good about America, like at least some things are almost nornal in the world today (is it an empty stadium or are there fans at the game?)

- its still pretty wintry here

club cricket doesn't start for a while yet - the grass has to dry out first 

but i can't wait just to hear the leather hit the willow again - its the sound of summer