Greasy Lake Community

The Future of Bruce's Sound

Genuine curiosity here as I think about all of these synth-wave revival bands and songs that have gotten so popular these days. Rock from the 70s sounds as timeless as ever (in part to some terrific production), whereas songs from the 80s come across as dated and cheesy. And yet, we seem to be witnessing a nostalgia factor in some contemporary pop over the last half decade, with many projects adopting at least a glossier sheen of that 80s pop sound. I'm thinking of hit songs like "Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd, and successful rock acts like Weezer and The Killers channeling that mojo in recent projects.

Do you think that Bruce and the band will ever tap back into that sound on a future release? After all, they were one of the artists to really drive the sound forward in 1984, so much so that when the most casual listener thinks of Bruce, he or she likely remembers those 80s hits. With modern-day production, would Bruce serve to capitalize on conjuring up that sound?

Whether Bruce puts out only one more record, or even if he has a dozen releases left in the tank, what do you think the musical direction will be? Orchestrated balladry like Western Stars? The Rubin-esque guitar rock of the mid-00s? More experimental soundscapes under Aniello's watchful eye?

• Like 1

Don’t know, and honestly don’t care.  

I’ve loved every album he’s done.  They are all very special to me, in different ways.  

One of the things I’ve always loved most about him is his ability to create amazing (IMO... I know there are some who only like one style, and love to bash any others, at every opportunity...) music in so many different styles/genres. 

In Bruce I trust... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

(IMO... I know there are some who only like one style, and love to bash any others, at every opportunity...)

Yeah well one person's voicing of an honest opinion is another person's bashing.  As a basher I'd like to see a rockin' E street album.  And please, no synth.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nicholas said:

Rock from the 70s sounds as timeless as ever (in part to some terrific production), whereas songs from the 80s come across as dated and cheesy.

Not to me.  I love 80s stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantomengineer said:

Yeah well one person's voicing of an honest opinion is another person's bashing.  As a basher I'd like to see a rockin' E street album.  And please, no synth.

I wasn’t talking about voicing an honest opinion.  Everyone has a right to do that of course.  That’s not ‘bashing.’ 

Bruce doesn’t seem to look to go back to a particular sound of his. I really would not want to hear a Born in the USA sound again. I believe I’ve voiced my opinion on the last album, so obviously I don’t want hear anything like that ever again. I would prefer he find some inspiration to rock. I like the stuff he has done with O’Brien. A lot of the Aniello stuff sounds kind of schmaltzy. 
Whatever, at this point he will do whatever he wants to do.

Im sure everyone has noticed but no two Bruce Springsteen records ever ever sound the same 

Who knows what's next ?

Western stars was such a beautiful album

Personally i need an angry guitar record (preferably without Mottello) but that's just me

Ill take what ever Bruce wants to put out 

• Like 2

With the exception of “Dancing In The Dark”, I really don’t think that Bruce’s 80s music sounded like the norm of 80s pop music.  On The River and BITUSA, the ESB still fundamentally was a live recording garage band setup rather than studio innovators.  The keyboards were cheesey and 10-20 years behind their time.  When I think of 80s pop sound production I think of the likes of “Jump” by Van Halen or “Drive” by The Cars or “Faithfully” by Journey for example.  Bruce was immensely popular at the time but I think it was due largely to his persona and reputation as a live act.  His sound was radio-friendly obviously but not necessarily cutting edge.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

With the exception of “Dancing In The Dark”, I really don’t think that Bruce’s 80s music sounded like the norm of 80s pop music.  On The River and BITUSA, the ESB still fundamentally was a live recording garage band setup rather than studio innovators.  The keyboards were cheesey and 10-20 years behind their time.  When I think of 80s pop sound production I think of the likes of “Jump” by Van Halen or “Drive” by The Cars or “Faithfully” by Journey for example.  Bruce was immensely popular at the time but I think it was due largely to his persona and reputation as a live act.  His sound was radio-friendly obviously but not necessarily cutting edge.

But dont you just burst into a smile on those all too few occasions you hear those opening bars of BITUSA blast through some classics hits radio station 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1