Greasy Lake Community

1 minute ago, MacBruce said:

I was hoping we would have an album of completely new songs, rather than some new songs alongside songs written in the early 70's, great though they are.

We'll just have to wait and see what transpires. Didn't the original rumour say it was going to be a 2LP vinyl release ?

That suggests to me quite a few more songs to the ones we are seeing suggested.

Pretty much all new LPs these days are 2LPs, regardless of song count. For instance, Western Stars’ 13 songs were split across 4 sides of vinyl. 

3 songs a side sounds about right here.. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thought of an album of new songs from Bruce Springsteen & The E street band is a great feeling. An anticipation which doesn’t come along too often but always special when it does. Bring it on!

Slagging off an album before it's been officially announced. Is this a new record for the earliest ever?   

Letter To You is Bruce Springsteen’s new studio album with the E Street Band, and is a rock album fueled by the band's heart-stopping, house-rocking signature sound. Recorded at his home studio in New

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Perisic said:

Song for Orphans is on the Archive release of Trenton '05 btw. 

This was a great version of a fantastic early period song. Sounds very Dylanish, but musically and lyrically fabulous nonetheless.

I would be happy to hear an updated proper recording of it, but if this is the sort of thing the new album is going to contain, it's certainly not what I expected.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Perisic said:

Jay Lustig wrote the article, that name rings a bell. Surely he wouldn't post something like this without being sure it's true.

Agreed. This is the track list.

Really like some of those titles. I also really hope there aren’t covers on there. 

That said, Western Stars spoilt me, he can do what they fuck he likes. 

• Like 1

This is all very interesting. I would be surprised and disappointed if he was putting out new versions of older songs again and cover songs but we’ll see what happens. It’s been a while since I really liked what he’s put out so I am hoping this turns the tide. In some fashion.

• Like 1

I have high hopes this won’t be another High Hopes.  But with 3 or 4 song titles that are not entirely new, I’m not so sure.  I don’t quite have that “2002 feeling” when the pre-Rising hype was in full swing.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Wow i'm super excited. Western Stars was a great surprise when it was announced, as is this. Very interesting to see what we will know by tomorrow.

If that song list is correct, I wonder will there be the Willie Nile cover an if See you in my dreams is indeed a Bruce song with the title being a nod to that old song. I would have no problems with the few unreleased ones there with a fresh take on them; will they fit in with the album theme or why were they chosen.

Lots to dwell on. Waiting in extreme anticipation for the official announcement (hopefully it is tomorrow!!)

• Like 1

I would love a re-record of Janey Needs a Shooter, with great vocals.  

The 2005 D&D version of Song for Orphans contains horribly twangy vocals that ruin the song, imho.  Hope he did not re-record it with those type of vocals, or I will be very disappointed.

Song for the Orphans and If I Was the Priest are beautiful songs. But I just wonder if they will be as good as the wonderful sounding outtakes we have now on YouTube, etc. I don’t know if his voice now will sound as good on those songs as a younger Bruce’s did. Looking forward to the album though. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nicholas said:

I would expect the announcement around mid-day tomorrow (well in advance of his 7:00pm EST speech at Boston College), and the single on Friday at midnight. Who even knows when a leak might drop?

I agree, announcement midday and single midnight Thurs/Fri makes the most sense. 

Well I'll be damned. I only just heard about any of this. Howdy gang. Howdy @Daisey Jeep. Good to show up here again.

Time to kill you all with my relentless optimism. Sorry.

High Hopes is an excellent album. It's not one of the top 10 Bruce albums or anything, but that's because Bruce is great, and that's why I'm here. Full of great songs. I'd never have known about some of its "old" songs without it, and I'm glad I know about them.

This cover is admittedly uninspiring to me, but then so are most Bruce covers, so I'm okay with it. There's some saying about judging by a cover I think, and they've rarely been his strong suit. Although I do love the WOAD cover. (And the album. Fight me.) WOAD, The Promise, Greetings, and Born to Run are probably the only album covers of his I actively like, so.

The idea of Janey, Orphans, and Priest (wasn't "If I Was The Priest" a chapter title in his autobiography? He must have liked that one) surfacing in an official, modern form is super interesting to me. Of course I've maybe got a different perspective here in that I don't really know any one of them, whereas some folks here have probably known them longer than I've been alive, but I really loved seeing him perform some of the early 70s stuff on the '16 tour, since I can't even really imagine that psychologically - writing down these words and melodies in your early 20s, and then, over forty years later!, performing those same things and knowing people STILL care about it? That's fascinating to me, very very interesting, can't even imagine how it feels. So I'm all for those songs making an appearance, if they do. to me, that's incredibly exciting, even if it's not new material per se, but again it's newer to me, so that's part of it. Still, though, the idea of him actually acknowledging and dusting off these songs it's easy to assume he's largely forgotten, I think that's great. If anything, it made me care enough to hop back into the Lake and see what people were saying.

If "A thousand guitars" is indeed a "Radio Nowhere" callback, that's dope, too.

That said, whoever said the thing about the title Letter To You being kind of a callback to Greetings for his final album - you stop that! That's going to break my heart.

Plenty of time for that after the true final album truly is proven to be such.

If that ever happens. It won't. Bruce is immortal.

Obviously.

Anyways, this news totally escaped me. I'm surprised; I did not expect any new Bruce content this year. Once it's truly official, I'll look forward to it.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1