Greasy Lake Community

New Album Rumor Thread?

Absolutely love the title track. Am off today so played it several times back to back. Love the fact it’s recorded “as live” with the band. Cannot wait to hear the rest of the album. Am thrilled it’s a full album of “all words and music by Bruce Springsteen” which is what always sets him apart from most others. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frank said:

Nothing different from Melbourne's The Age stuff, but this press release makes no reference to High Hopes, so I like it far better.

i'd like your posts far better if they made no reference or allusions to High Hopes too.
You didn't like it.  We know.  Enough now.

20 minutes ago, Frank said:

From the e-mail we all must have received in the last ten minutes:

Nothing different from Melbourne's The Age stuff, but this press release makes no reference to High Hopes, so I like it far better.

New Song "Letter To You" Out Now!

Bruce’s new studio album with the E Street Band, Letter To You, will be released on October 23. A rock album fueled by the band's heart-stopping, house-rocking signature sound, the 12 track Letter To You  is Bruce’s 20th studio album, and was recorded at his home studio in New Jersey.

Listen to the album's title track and watch the new video here.

“I love the emotional nature of Letter To You,” says Bruce. “And I love the sound of the E Street Band playing completely live in the studio, in a way we’ve never done before, and with no overdubs. We made the album in only five days, and it turned out to be one of the greatest recording experiences I’ve ever had.” 

Letter to You includes nine recently written Springsteen songs, as well as new recordings of three of his legendary, but previously unreleased, compositions from the 1970s. Produced by Ron Aniello with Bruce Springsteen, Letter To You is Bruce’s first time performing with the E Street Band since The River 2016 tour. 

Tracklist
One Minute You’re Here
Letter To You
Burnin’ Train
Janey Needs A Shooter
Last Man Standing
The Power Of Prayer
House Of A Thousand Guitars
Rainmaker
If I Was The Priest
Ghosts
Song For Orphans
I’ll See You In My Dreams

Yip 

Screenshot_20200911-010343.png

Just now, janeymarywendy said:

True, but such a lovely song.  I watched Joe Brown singing it for George Harrison (someone posted it this morning?).

Totally agree.

I often wondered what Sam Brown must have thought, all those great stars on that stage and then her dad goes and steals the show.

• Like 2

Very excited for this now after reading the press release! Recorded in 5 days all live, has a lot of potential to really capture the live E Street Sound here

Question for some, not trying to stir anything but just genuinely curious. I get the covers thing, and delighted there aren't any covers on this. But with the three old songs, why are some people very against them? I believe they are to be re worked, and will be re imagined from what we know, and they will potentially fit into the album arc very well. Is it the fact they were heard before in a previous incarnation? Or as been suggested 'Bruce hit the creative wall'? Lest we forget Bruce has been recording and release 'old' songs his entire career, this it not a new thing. How many songs from The River were originally rejected songs from the Darkness sessions, or versions of songs played live before they were recorded/released - think Wings for Wheels/Thunder Road etc. Just curious as to why it seems to bug people. For me I love the fact they are there. They are three fantastic songs, and will be great to hear cleaned up new arrangements of them.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, USAman said:

I personally think its a shame there are three ‘old’ songs - really pleased Western Stars is comprised of new material

Still excited for a new record

Well, I'm no fan of old songs either, but let's put it in this way. According to the press release, this is a live in the studio album. Something à la Neil Young, or à la Seeger Sessions. The "freshness" of the sound (with no overdubs) is probably the key feature of the album. And if the title-track is representative of the lyrics, I won't expect a particularly cohesive album, in terms of narrative. In this respect, a re-recording of a couple previously unreleased songs doesn't bother me at all. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

15 minutes ago, USAman said:

I personally think its a shame there are three ‘old’ songs - really pleased Western Stars is comprised of new material

Agreed! Just release that stuff on a separate box set or something ...... he’s been doing this more and more throughout this Century: Songs coming from nowhere written years prior! There’s a BIG DIFFERENCE playing "Independence Day" two years before release; etc, etc and stuff written MANY YEARS prior, like say "Down In The Hole" or "Harry’s Place".

How can a song from 50 years ago work on a record with brand new tunes?

Brad

10 minutes ago, Ciaran said:

Very excited for this now after reading the press release! Recorded in 5 days all live, has a lot of potential to really capture the live E Street Sound here

Question for some, not trying to stir anything but just genuinely curious. I get the covers thing, and delighted there aren't any covers on this. But with the three old songs, why are some people very against them? I believe they are to be re worked, and will be re imagined from what we know, and they will potentially fit into the album arc very well. Is it the fact they were heard before in a previous incarnation? Or as been suggested 'Bruce hit the creative wall'? Lest we forget Bruce has been recording and release 'old' songs his entire career, this it not a new thing. How many songs from The River were originally rejected songs from the Darkness sessions, or versions of songs played live before they were recorded/released - think Wings for Wheels/Thunder Road etc. Just curious as to why it seems to bug people. For me I love the fact they are there. They are three fantastic songs, and will be great to hear cleaned up new arrangements of them.

Better Bruce releases them now and can finish/tweak them how he likes than sometime in the future when we are all too doo- laly to enjoy it and he isnt around for creative control

Remember on story tellers when he sings brilliant disguise with Patti and he talks about how a song's meaning can change over time

4 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

How can a song from 50 years ago work on a record with brand new tunes?

If you play a cut like 'Save My Love' next to 'Letter to You', you might get an answer. As I had just replied, the live-sound is probably the fils rouge of this album.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ciaran said:

Its the creative wall issue that worries me. Wrecking ball was lesser for its 'old' material (including wreckingball which already had a better live version).

This album sounds like the antithesis of Western Stars which was a labour of love and genius. If he is going to release a quickly made album I wish it was a sparce, lyrical and acoustic thing

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Let’s just hope and pray 2021 is not too early to see Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in concert playing some of these songs and everything else. The description of the live takes would seem perfect to tour with. 

As excited as I am to have a new ESB album - it breaks my heart that there won't be a tour in the near future. If it wasn't for this fucking virus we'd be booking flights and hotels by now. Still think next year will be too soon, especially the summer of 2021. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USAman said:

Weren’t the “new songs” 8 years old when they were released?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Weren’t the “new songs” 8 years old when they were released?

So, they were new (never known of or heard before) and they where honed with love and affection that came through in spades. This feels throw away