Greasy Lake Community

1 hour ago, Ciaran said:

Very excited for this now after reading the press release! Recorded in 5 days all live, has a lot of potential to really capture the live E Street Sound here

Question for some, not trying to stir anything but just genuinely curious. I get the covers thing, and delighted there aren't any covers on this. But with the three old songs, why are some people very against them? I believe they are to be re worked, and will be re imagined from what we know, and they will potentially fit into the album arc very well. Is it the fact they were heard before in a previous incarnation? Or as been suggested 'Bruce hit the creative wall'? Lest we forget Bruce has been recording and release 'old' songs his entire career, this it not a new thing. How many songs from The River were originally rejected songs from the Darkness sessions, or versions of songs played live before they were recorded/released - think Wings for Wheels/Thunder Road etc. Just curious as to why it seems to bug people. For me I love the fact they are there. They are three fantastic songs, and will be great to hear cleaned up new arrangements of them.

I think he has been doing this his whole career. The difference now is that we know these songs in some incarnation before he releases them where in the past he could live with them and let them find the right place for them without us knowing about them. I’m fine with it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thought of an album of new songs from Bruce Springsteen & The E street band is a great feeling. An anticipation which doesn’t come along too often but always special when it does. Bring it on!

Slagging off an album before it's been officially announced. Is this a new record for the earliest ever?   

Letter To You is Bruce Springsteen’s new studio album with the E Street Band, and is a rock album fueled by the band's heart-stopping, house-rocking signature sound. Recorded at his home studio in New

Posted Images

12 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Agenda for tonight: listen to Janey, Orphans, and Priest so I can get properly hyped, if indeed they're coming.

I will do the opposite, since I'm afraid that I'll be let down if I have the original versions of the songs fresh in my mind when listening to the new versions.

4 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

So, they were new (never known of or heard before) and they where honed with love and affection that came through in spades. This feels throw away

Again, different perspectives. The last album sounded ridiculous and thrown out reluctantly because he didn’t believe in it. I think he knew it wasn’t up to par but he had to release something so out it went. 
I’ll take an album with the E Street Band recorded live in 5 days over an album stored away for 8 years with orchestral arrangements, upsweeping vocals, and an outdated sound. To each their own.

• Haha 1

Also, looking at the track lengths, if we go by this recording of If I Was the Priest, the new Letter to You version is going to be a whole minute longer!! I can't wait to see how this and the other two outtakes will be reworked. Will Songs for Orphans follow the original arrangement or the 2005 one? Eagerly awaiting this (and the 8 other new songs even more).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Again, different perspectives. The last album sounded ridiculous and thrown out reluctantly because he didn’t believe in it. I think he knew it wasn’t up to par but he had to release something so out it went. 
I’ll take an album with the E Street Band recorded live in 5 days over an album stored away for 8 years with orchestral arrangements, upsweeping vocals, and an outdated sound. To each their own.

The sound wasn't outdated, so much as utterly unique. It was a late career masterpiece. Talking about outdated, this latest single just feels generic, not even dated. Elevator rock.

4 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Hmmm.

Wasn't it accompanied by a feature length film?

Hardly thrown out reluctantly. 

Holy crap, I can't believe this is actually happening! Wow... This is absolutely fantastic, definitely the best news in 2020 so far. All this sounds pretty promising so I can hardly wait for the album to be released. I find it very interesting those three old songs have been re-recorded and will be released on the album. We'll see...

I haven''t heard the single yet and I think I might not listen to it until the album release. 

31 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

The sound wasn't outdated, so much as utterly unique. It was a late career masterpiece. Talking about outdated, this latest single just feels generic, not even dated. Elevator rock.

That’s funny. Didn’t he say he was looking for the late 70’s sound for that album? He found it, 40 years late. As somebody pointed out in the thread about songs that Bruce songs sound similar to, one of the songs uniquely sounds like a direct takeoff of an ABBA song. 

Regardless, I’ll let you have the rest of this conversation as this thread is about the new album. Have a good day.

Lyrics I am able to see for 'Last Man Standing'

Last Man Standing

Lights come up at the legion hall
pool cues go back up on the wall
you pack your guitar and disappear
with ? the ringing in the your ear!

a waitress cleans up the bar
you pack your amp into the car
---
the mike/wife
---

you wake up in the morning and find it
hard to believe somehow you are the last man standing

snakeskin ? sharkskin
custom heels on my black boots

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Borntorun1999 said:

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but does anyone know if the new album will be out on ITunes? Backstreets just said vinyl and CD

Thanks!!!

Of course it will be on iTunes and streaming platforms 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Borntorun1999 said:

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but does anyone know if the new album will be out on ITunes? Backstreets just said vinyl and CD

Thanks!!!

Yes it will be, should be able to find it now

Just checked it's there now!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Lyrics I am able to see for 'Last Man Standing'

Last Man Standing

Lights come up at the legion hall
pool cues go back up on the wall
you pack your guitar and disappear
with ? the ringing in the your ear!

a waitress cleans up the bar
you pack your amp into the car
---
the mike/wife
---

you wake up in the morning and find it
hard to believe somehow you are the last man standing

snakeskin ? sharkskin
custom heels on my black boots

Hm interesting

1 hour ago, sleepyjoe said:

Also, looking at the track lengths, if we go by this recording of If I Was the Priest, the new Letter to You version is going to be a whole minute longer!! I can't wait to see how this and the other two outtakes will be reworked. Will Songs for Orphans follow the original arrangement or the 2005 one? Eagerly awaiting this (and the 8 other new songs even more).

appears this song has a lot of room for development, excited to see how the band plays it 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, USAman said:

I personally think its a shame there are three ‘old’ songs - really pleased Western Stars is comprised of new material

Still excited for a new record

I really don't this way of thinking! So The River sucked because of Sherry Darling, I Day, Ties That Bind most likely Drive all Night? All Outtakes from Darkness.  

And Born in the USA sucks because it included the rocked up version of the title track and Downbound Train? Outtakes from Nebraska 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
3 hours ago, Ciaran said:

Very excited for this now after reading the press release! Recorded in 5 days all live, has a lot of potential to really capture the live E Street Sound here

Question for some, not trying to stir anything but just genuinely curious. I get the covers thing, and delighted there aren't any covers on this. But with the three old songs, why are some people very against them? I believe they are to be re worked, and will be re imagined from what we know, and they will potentially fit into the album arc very well. Is it the fact they were heard before in a previous incarnation? Or as been suggested 'Bruce hit the creative wall'? Lest we forget Bruce has been recording and release 'old' songs his entire career, this it not a new thing. How many songs from The River were originally rejected songs from the Darkness sessions, or versions of songs played live before they were recorded/released - think Wings for Wheels/Thunder Road etc. Just curious as to why it seems to bug people. For me I love the fact they are there. They are three fantastic songs, and will be great to hear cleaned up new arrangements of them.

I feel that releasing a song that's maybe 3 years old is a bit different compared to releasing one that's about 48 years old though. If he would also release the early versions of the 3 songs in great quality on for example Tracks 2 I wouldn't mind new versions of them being on a otherwise newly written album though.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I really don't this way of thinking! So The River sucked because of Sherry Darling, I Day, Ties That Bind most likely Drive all Night? All Outtakes from Darkness.  

And Born in the USA sucks because it included the rocked up version of the title track and Downbound Train? Outtakes from Nebraska 

And do people not realize that most of The Rising was written pre-9/11? Heck, Nothing Man dates back to the never released 90s album...

And Devils and Dust? Some songs pulled from as early as LT/HT era (All the Way Home), songs debuted and performed during GOTJ tour (Long Time Comin) and other outtakes from other 90s/00s eras...

• Like 1