Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thought of an album of new songs from Bruce Springsteen & The E street band is a great feeling. An anticipation which doesn’t come along too often but always special when it does. Bring it on!

Slagging off an album before it's been officially announced. Is this a new record for the earliest ever?   

Letter To You is Bruce Springsteen’s new studio album with the E Street Band, and is a rock album fueled by the band's heart-stopping, house-rocking signature sound. Recorded at his home studio in New

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sleepyjoe said:

And do people not realize that most of The Rising was written pre-9/11? Heck, Nothing Man dates back to the never released 90s album...

And Devils and Dust? Some songs pulled from as early as LT/HT era (All the Way Home), songs debuted and performed during GOTJ tour (Long Time Comin) and other outtakes from other 90s/00s eras...

GOTJ came out in 1995, I doubt that there were any outtakes from the 2000's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Combine the last word of your post that I quoted with the E that I wrote as a response. ;)

Ah!  I thought that might be the Swedish way of saying 'Eh?'

My street is 8th Avenue - I so wished I lived along the road in 10th when I first came here.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

There were a good amount from the Rising. See Devils and Dust and High Hopes...

OK, missing something here.  To me an outtake form the 90s/00s means that the song was written in the 90s or 00s.  There is no way a song written in the 00s could have been performed on the GOTJ tour which ended in 96.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, burghfan said:

OK, missing something here.  To me an outtake form the 90s/00s means that the song was written in the 90s or 00s.  There is no way a song written in the 00s could have been performed on the GOTJ tour which ended in 96.

What about 'Livin' In The Future' ? ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, burghfan said:

OK, missing something here.  To me an outtake form the 90s/00s means that the song was written in the 90s or 00s.  There is no way a song written in the 00s could have been performed on the GOTJ tour which ended in 96.

We're on the same page here. I was making two different statements, sorry for the confusion. Both GOTJ (95/96) outtakes and Rising outtakes (separate from the GOTJ ones) have appeared on future albums.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, freeholdboro91 said:

Wonder if esb talked about retiring as stated in olivias post 

A7BAEC18-B38D-4E26-888D-95B6E82B043F.png

Maybe thats just tounge and cheeck as he reached retirement age

 

He certainky looked good on the video 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

 

Hmmm.

 

Wasn't it accompanied by a feature length film?

 

Hardly thrown out reluctantly. 

I never see a female fan complain about that video

And remember it was given to us completely free

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, driveallnight89 said:

So we are looking at 9 brand new songs and 3 old ones including Song for Orphans which is one of my favourite Bruce songs. This is such awesome news!

I am not fused about adding old songs especially when we know how good they are.

Even as far back as The Rising we have old songs on albums that fit the mood and theme.

Even as far back as Born in the U.S.A., I'd say!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, risingaurora said:

That record had a couple of high spots but how many people pull the CD off the shelf for a listen, or make it a go to on Spotify. Hunter of Invisible Game anyone? 

 

I think it's one of the easiest albums to put on in the background for sure! "Down in the Hole" is a go-to to me when I want something truly depressing, "Harry's Place" is one of my all-time most-played Bruce songs, some very fun tracks on there. "Frankie Fell in Love" is inspiring, "Dream Baby Dream" is beautiful... The album as a whole is my 11th-most played Bruce album (which isn't to say it's my 11th-favorite - but it's not too far behind that!)

 

12 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The cover photo may be real (?) but it isn't new.  Central Park, NYC 2018, Danny Clinch.

 

Ugh; even the cover is a recycled outtake? There's no creativity to the Boss anymore.

 

4 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I'm a little pissed Parasite is not on the album. :D

Especially if it would have been a KISS cover. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a question - at what stage do you suppose they decided to pull Tracks 2 and release this? Because you’d imagine this album announcement would have been in the works for some time, right?

It seems as if they were working on Tracks 2 for a holiday-season release up until fairly recently - unless I’m mistaken

Genuinely curious as to what has brought the change - any thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Here’s a question - at what stage do you suppose they decided to pull Tracks 2 and release this? Because you’d imagine this album announcement would have been in the works for some time, right?

It seems as if they were working on Tracks 2 for a holiday-season release up until fairly recently - unless I’m mistaken

Genuinely curious as to what has brought the change - any thoughts?

Maybe its economics

Alot of peeps are out of work - the US has had the worst quarterly GDP since ww2 

Maybe a box set would be too exspensive for the market right now 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a longtime Bruce fan who has enjoyed every diverse path his career has taken (from E Street to Seeger to Western Stars), this single has left me with a foreign feeling--one of being totally underwhelmed with a new Springsteen song. I've listened to it throughout the day (and will continue doing so) in hopes that it's a grower, but it's the first time I've felt Bruce sounds, well, pedestrian. Bland. Perfectly middle of the road. To avoid sounding entirely negative, however, I'll start with what I like: the production sounds great. There's an energy to the playing that doesn't always come through when the various parts are patched together, and I'm excited that Bruce and the band recorded an album live as a unit. This being said...these are some disappointing lyrics. And it's really unexpected after the lyrical brilliance that permeated Western Stars. There's no specificity or context--it's simply a song about writing a letter. The verses are comprised of paint-by-numbers Bruce clichés (e.g. "things I found out through hard times and good, I wrote 'em all out in ink and blood"), and the chorus is curiously awful. I think that part of the problem is that the words feel so incongruous with the music; the lyrics seem better suited to a quieter, slower song. "In my letter to you" does not make for a satisfying climactic rallying cry, especially when it's sung with a passion similar to "badlands; you gotta live 'em every day." What feels like a quiet, contemplative moment is turned into a loud, overwrought anthem. 

All of this being said, I remain hopeful. Sometimes songs that seem unimpressive on their own terms can take on a new light in the context of an album. The best case would be that a poor choice was made for the first single. The worst would be that this song is actually a harbinger of the lyric quality on the album. 

Stray Thoughts:

1) I'm a little confused at the consternation that the appearance of three old songs seems to have caused; regardless of when they were written, this will be the first time they have been officially released (outside of the Archive series). Does their age inherently diminish them in some way? As has been mentioned, many of Bruce's albums have included songs from a previous period. 

2) With the first point in mind, I find it interesting that the old songs that will be appearing are so dense lyrically. This seems to place them in marked contrast with the sole new song we've heard so far. It will be interesting to hear how it all blends together. 

3) Initial reservations aside, I have high hopes for this release. While I'm no fan of the first single, it's great to hear the sound of Bruce and the band back together. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lost Cowboy said:

As a longtime Bruce fan who has enjoyed every diverse path his career has taken (from E Street to Seeger to Western Stars), this single has left me with a foreign feeling--one of being totally underwhelmed with a new Springsteen song. I've listened to it throughout the day (and will continue doing so) in hopes that it's a grower, but it's the first time I've felt Bruce sounds, well, pedestrian. Bland. Perfectly middle of the road. To avoid sounding entirely negative, however, I'll start with what I like: the production sounds great. There's an energy to the playing that doesn't always come through when the various parts are patched together, and I'm excited that Bruce and the band recorded an album live as a unit. This being said...these are some disappointing lyrics. And it's really unexpected after the lyrical brilliance that permeated Western Stars. There's no specificity or context--it's simply a song about writing a letter. The verses are comprised of paint-by-numbers Bruce clichés (e.g. "things I found out through hard times and good, I wrote 'em all out in ink and blood"), and the chorus is curiously awful. I think that part of the problem is that the words feel so incongruous with the music; the lyrics seem better suited to a quieter, slower song. "In my letter to you" does not make for a satisfying climactic rallying cry, especially when it's sung with a passion similar to "badlands; you gotta live 'em every day." What feels like a quiet, contemplative moment is turned into a loud, overwrought anthem. 

All of this being said, I remain hopeful. Sometimes songs that seem unimpressive on their own terms can take on a new light in the context of an album. The best case would be that a poor choice was made for the first single. The worst would be that this song is actually a harbinger of the lyric quality on the album. 

Stray Thoughts:

1) I'm a little confused at the consternation that the appearance of three old songs seems to have caused; regardless of when they were written, this will be the first time they have been officially released (outside of the Archive series). Does their age inherently diminish them in some way? As has been mentioned, many of Bruce's albums have included songs from a previous period. 

2) With the first point in mind, I find it interesting that the old songs that will be appearing are so dense lyrically. This seems to place them in marked contrast with the sole new song we've heard so far. It will be interesting to hear how it all blends together. 

3) Initial reservations aside, I have high hopes for this release. While I'm no fan of the first single, it's great to hear the sound of Bruce and the band back together. 

Mostly agree with you here. This absolutely feels like generic elevator rock, although it is growing on me a little. What i find a shame is that this effort appears to be the complete antithesis of Western Stars which was a labour of love.

I agree that the song is lyrically week but I interpret the meaning to be about his relationship with his fans overtime which makes it a more enjoyable listening experience (although someone did say that this feels like it could be a left over from WOAD, in which case it could be interpreted as a groveling letter to Patti during an era when he cheated don her).

I also agree that the music and the lyrics feel clumsy. this would have been a lovely acoustic ditty (to be honest at this stage of his career, if he wants to produce quick albums, I wish they were acoustic). Also, musically, they missed the opportunity to make this more zippy; it has an interesting galloping beat behind it, but the whole song would have benefited if that was way up in the mix (think Dylan's 'Series of dreams').

Lastly, I don'r like that it is recorded live. Springsteen is great live (one of the best ever), we know that but if you want to hear him live, listen to his live stuff... I want a nice honed and produced studio album.

As for the three old songs.... come on man, put these on tracks!! Just make an EP if you dont have enough material.

Lastly, lastly, we heard from Patti that Bruce has been prolific in lock down (unlikely on this album) .We always here that he is prolific and has lost albums but the he adds old stuff to new albums (something dosnt add up). If you are being prolific, just release the damn stuff... we'll probably have to wait three years to hear it now.

I feel bad complaining but I think it is because Western Stars was SOOO incredible that  I don't want him to diminish that with a quick unnecessary release.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving this song, great sound for the band and Bruce's voice sounds good. Love the fact that it was recorded live in the Studio and no overdubs. Kind of like "The End" by the Doors, one take, no dubs, band live and perfect result. 

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Even as far back as Born in the U.S.A., I'd say!

The River had 1/4 of an album with songs either recorded for Darkness och played live on the Darkness Tour.

Darkness had Something in the night that was debuted live 2 yrs earlier.

Born to run had songs that was played live years in advance.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...