Greasy Lake Community

40 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

Kind of like "The End" by the Doors, one take, no dubs, band live and perfect result. 

LOVE this reference, but "The End" was recorded in two live takes on September 16, 1966 that were spliced together right before "the killer awoke before dawn" segment; the splice is right on the slightly off-key note by Ray.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thought of an album of new songs from Bruce Springsteen & The E street band is a great feeling. An anticipation which doesn’t come along too often but always special when it does. Bring it on!

Slagging off an album before it's been officially announced. Is this a new record for the earliest ever?   

Letter To You is Bruce Springsteen’s new studio album with the E Street Band, and is a rock album fueled by the band's heart-stopping, house-rocking signature sound. Recorded at his home studio in New

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, tsporr93 said:

LOVE this reference, but "The End" was recorded in two live takes on September 16, 1966 that were spliced together right before "the killer awoke before dawn" segment; the splice is right on the slightly off-key note by Ray.

Interesting, I saw an interview with Paul Rothchild saying it was done in one take with no overdubs but it sounds like the two takes with splice and no overdubs may be the released version.

"The song was recorded live in the studio with no overdubbing.[3] Two takes were done and it has been held that the second take is the one that was issued.[4] However, it has been speculated that the issued version of the song is an edit of both takes, with at least one splice."

• Like 1
Just now, 65pacecar said:

Interesting, I saw an interview with Paul Rothchild saying it was done in one take with no overdubs but it sounds like the two takes with splice and no overdubs may be the released version.

"The song was recorded live in the studio with no overdubbing.[3] Two takes were done and it has been held that the second take is the one that was issued.[4] However, it has been speculated that the issued version of the song is an edit of both takes, with at least one splice."

Yeah, it's pretty common knowledge now that it was done with two spliced takes. That's been the story in all the recent bios published in the past 10 or 15 years, and Botnick talks about it in the Classic Albums documentary.  I'm pretty sure they mention it in the "When You're Strange" doc as well.  They actually recorded one take the day before as well, on September 15, 1966 - so there are at least 3 total takes.  Some of the studio session documentation is finally starting to come out, so we have a bit of a better idea of what was recorded when.  It makes it more complicated because the Doors camp (at least in the past 15+ years) is famous for fudging (read - lying about) when things were recorded and how, especially when it comes to outtakes.  A good example is the "rough mixes" that were issued on the Waiting For The Sun 50th - those were confirmed to have actually been created in the 90s, not in 1968 as Botnick claims.  Also, half of the bonus tracks on both the 40th and 50th anniversary editions of Morrison Hotel were recorded during The Soft Parade sessions, but they just don't include the recording dates and lump them onto MH.  Moreso, some of the recording dates listed on the Soft Parade 50th bonus tracks are completely wrong (made up) as well.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Here’s a question - at what stage do you suppose they decided to pull Tracks 2 and release this? Because you’d imagine this album announcement would have been in the works for some time, right?

It seems as if they were working on Tracks 2 for a holiday-season release up until fairly recently - unless I’m mistaken

Genuinely curious as to what has brought the change - any thoughts?

It looks like Tracks 2 was fairly far down the line but he decided to go with the ESB material. Tracks 2 can be released anytime; new material has more urgency.

My theory is that Bruce constantly returns to Tracks 2, decides that some of the songs are good enough for a standalone release, and uses that as a springboard for a new album. We know this led to D&D and Seeger; I think it may have also led to High Hopes and Western Stars.

I'd wager we're seeing something similar with Letter To You given there are 3 outtakes from the 70s, which would have been obvious shoe-ins for Tracks 2.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, tsporr93 said:

Yeah, it's pretty common knowledge now that it was done with two spliced takes. That's been the story in all the recent bios published in the past 10 or 15 years, and Botnick talks about it in the Classic Albums documentary.  I'm pretty sure they mention it in the "When You're Strange" doc as well.  They actually recorded one take the day before as well, on September 15, 1966 - so there are at least 3 total takes.  Some of the studio session documentation is finally starting to come out, so we have a bit of a better idea of what was recorded when.  It makes it more complicated because the Doors camp (at least in the past 15+ years) is famous for fudging (read - lying about) when things were recorded and how, especially when it comes to outtakes.  A good example is the "rough mixes" that were issued on the Waiting For The Sun 50th - those were confirmed to have actually been created in the 90s, not in 1968 as Botnick claims.  Also, half of the bonus tracks on both the 40th and 50th anniversary editions of Morrison Hotel were recorded during The Soft Parade sessions, but they just don't include the recording dates and lump them onto MH.  Moreso, some of the recording dates listed on the Soft Parade 50th bonus tracks are completely wrong (made up) as well.

Great history, yes there has always been a lot of questions about the Doors legacy, rumors/truths, recording dates and methods along with Jim's "condition" during recording and live sessions and even the rumored faking of his death by the author of "No One Here Gets Out Alive" book by Jerry Hopkins.  Later refuted by R.M. and many others but it was an interesting take.  Elvis and Jim are probably sitting on the pier at Venice Beach as we type this :-) Bruce Botnick is a wealth of knowledge too, always interesting to watch his interviews.

• Like 1

If the "Letter to You" album was recorded in 5 days in late 2019 then it doesn't seem as if it was this that Bruce has been working on this year that's kept Patti out of the studio on occasions. More likely Tracks 2 tweaking.

Based on the single it's a typical example of the simple basic lyric writing style that Bruce has adopted in recent decades. The 3 older songs are going to sound rather out of step with them as they're from that phase in the 70s when he wrote a lot of words.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Old English Town said:

If the "Letter to You" album was recorded in 5 days in late 2019 then it doesn't seem as if it was this that Bruce has been working on this year that's kept Patti out of the studio on occasions. More likely Tracks 2 tweaking.

Based on the single it's a typical example of the simple basic lyric writing style that Bruce has adopted in recent decades. The 3 older songs are going to sound rather out of step with them as they're from that phase in the 70s when he wrote a lot of words.

Yeah, probably another three years until we hear what he is working on now. Irritating.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:22 AM, borntorunsean said:

8) Nancy's Bar - another short rocker. Bruce letching over some bartender who he can see her thong while he sips a beer. Powerful .

I was so looking forward to this :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

It looks like Tracks 2 was fairly far down the line but he decided to go with the ESB material. Tracks 2 can be released anytime; new material has more urgency.

My theory is that Bruce constantly returns to Tracks 2, decides that some of the songs are good enough for a standalone release, and uses that as a springboard for a new album. We know this led to D&D and Seeger; I think it may have also led to High Hopes and Western Stars.

I'd wager we're seeing something similar with Letter To You given there are 3 outtakes from the 70s, which would have been obvious shoe-ins for Tracks 2.

What was up with your bogus track listing?

Like everyone else I am looking forward to hearing the album.

I am however intrigued by the inclusion of the three old songs. These were songs penned around 1971 and 1972. Particularly If I was the Priest which was part of the John Hammond auditions when he was still trying to get a record contract. This song has lots of catholic imagery in it, and Bruce himself once allegedly said he would never play it in concert. I can't see the purpose in bringing back an ancient song like that for a new album mixed in with a whole bunch of newly written material. He was a completely different artist back then. It's a great intense song for the time it was written, but it does seem really strange for him to be giving it new life on an album nearly 50 years on when the world is a completely different place. Song for Orphans has brilliant lyrics, Janey needs a shooter, well to be honest I have never been that much of a fan of it, but hopefully Bruce's new version will enhance it for me. I am more interested in the new songs, and I hope there are at least a couple of good ballads amongst them.

2 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

I can't see the purpose in bringing back an ancient song like that for a new album mixed in with a whole bunch of newly written material. He was a completely different artist back then

Hopefully the reason will be explained once the promotional interviews start.

There has been much talk of the fact that Bruce has recycled old songs in the past, however these are so old that its not just a case of picking up a song that didn't fit on the last album. Hopefully all will make sense in due course, I'm certainly intrigued to hear what he has to say. 

• Like 1

Remember when Bruce said he/ you/ me/ us - we are all a bus driving along, but in that bus is all of us - as in all of you - 6 year old Bruce, 12 year old Bruce, 16 year old Bruce, 21 year old Bruce etc etc

I do not remember the exact words or when he said it but to paraphase

We dont leave our old selves behind, all of us are on the bus, you just gotta hope who ever is driving today is doing ok 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Like everyone else I am looking forward to hearing the album.

I am however intrigued by the inclusion of the three old songs. These were songs penned around 1971 and 1972. Particularly If I was the Priest which was part of the John Hammond auditions when he was still trying to get a record contract. This song has lots of catholic imagery in it, and Bruce himself once allegedly said he would never play it in concert. I can't see the purpose in bringing back an ancient song like that for a new album mixed in with a whole bunch of newly written material. He was a completely different artist back then. It's a great intense song for the time it was written, but it does seem really strange for him to be giving it new life on an album nearly 50 years on when the world is a completely different place. Song for Orphans has brilliant lyrics, Janey needs a shooter, well to be honest I have never been that much of a fan of it, but hopefully Bruce's new version will enhance it for me. I am more interested in the new songs, and I hope there are at least a couple of good ballads amongst them.

Janey needs a shitter is what it should have been called, it has no quality at all in my opinion 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Remember when Bruce said he/ you/ me/ us - we are all a bus driving along, but in that bus is all of us - as in all of you - 6 year old Bruce, 12 year old Bruce, 16 year old Bruce, 21 year old Bruce etc etc

I do not remember the exact words or when he said it but to paraphase

We dont leave our old selves behind, all of us are on the bus, you just gotta hope who ever is driving today is doing ok 

Oooh Daisey's cracked the code.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Hopefully the reason will be explained once the promotional interviews start.

There has been much talk of the fact that Bruce has recycled old songs in the past, however these are so old that its not just a case of picking up a song that didn't fit on the last album. Hopefully all will make sense in due course, I'm certainly intrigued to hear what he has to say. 

Remember when Jim Steinman resurrected very old songs for Braver Than We Are?  Not the best move of his career.

• Like 1
On 9/3/2020 at 1:22 AM, borntorunsean said:

Heard it last night. A leaked copy to the my mate who a CD stacker at ASDA . We listened down the Dog and Gun while socially distancing. Some initial thoughts..

1) Hung Out To Dry - a rock anthem for the generations. Subtle notes of We Take Care Of Our Own.  Powerful.

2) The House Is On Fire - a cross between Harry's Place and Mary's place. It works.

3) Achilles Heel - long guitar intro to start and a lovely short number. Candys room if you like. Noted Stevies backing vocals on chorus "it hurts, it's hurts real bad". 

4) The Storm - moody Bruce. Dark slow. 

5) As Good As Gold - think tomorrow never knows 

6) Tooth and Nail - gritty and rocky. Nice track.

7) Between Heaven and Earth- n9ce melody bopper. Some sample from a song in the 80s 

8) Nancy's Bar - another short rocker. Bruce letching over some bartender who he can see her thong while he sips a beer. Powerful .

9) The Mask Unveiled - brilliant. Big and bold discussion about swinging.

10) Parasite - like his first two album.  Lyrics over music.

11) Noah - great track... rocker. Lyrics all about lockdown and the world economy. 

7/10

Remember this ? Who actually believed this joker?