Greasy Lake Community

on the line

Well, I, who thinks Springsteen have not produced a good album (but surely some good songs) since Nebraska, who am I to speak about his songs? And still, I have to speak. Now, rock n roll is, to be true, also, and perhaps mostly, about ”getting out of this place”. That is, to create a place where you can explore and evolve the things you have deep, deep inside, the very things the ordered society around you try to blockade. Not many have succeeded to manage this escape, and only a few of those that have succeeded have shown any solidarity with those (the majority) who did not make it, i. e. the ones (many) left behind. But - the Kinks with Dead End Street, and Springsteen, with Factory, managed to do it. And, alas, there surely is, to be able to succeed in being true to you history, a line you have to cross: that is, at the same time, too leave and stay, - and this line surely is hard to define. But I think that this line has a name. That name is: The Promise. This song is, as you surely know, something of a in between. On the one side, it surely do not fit in Born to Run. It is too melancholic. And on the other side, it does not fit in Darkness on the Edge of Town. Its to defeatist. Born to run is ,as we all know, based the idea that the promised land can be reached without any effort: hence the joyful tone of the album; Darkness on the edge of town, on the other side (and this is really on the other side) is based on the idea that the promised land surely can be created by, - not I but by us all; but therefore, it must be created against the force of the capitalistic society: hence the harder, uncompromising tone. And The Promise? Well, its in between. Between running away and fight. Gone is the idea of a simple solution (Thunder Road: I am pulling out here to win). But here is not yet the insight of: not I, but We are the vehicle needed to have the work done (Racing in the Street: we are going to the see to wash these (our) sins from our hands). But, you say, so far so good, but: what about The Promise? Its a product between the I and the We. What stands between I and We? The things the capitalistic society wants us to buy instead of searching for the things we really, really wants. What do we want? A society. in which our concern is our fellow human being, not the things we are learned to think is of importance to us. Not the things, the human beings. So: the hero of Springsteens song know in the end, that you have to thowe all that away, that the capitalistic society wants you to look for and long for.

No things between you and your human fellow.

Be naked and be vulnerable.

Be a human being.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ulfhpersson said:

The things the capitalistic society wants us to buy instead of searching for the things we really, really wants. What do we want? A society. in which our concern is our fellow human being, not the things we are learned to think is of importance to us.

And then the guy from The Promise grew up and realized that the world doesn’t work that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you (or better: I) should not write anything after a bottle of wine. But I wrote it, and even if I now read it a little embarrassed, it surely expresses my inner thoughts.

As always, Daisey Jeep, you are uncompromising kind.

As for the status of having growing up, I prefer to grow up for ever.

On the other side of the line, we find the hero being more specific: be ware of, that the things you want, not seldom is what others wants you to want:

Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ulfhpersson said:

Well, you (or better: I) should not write anything after a bottle of wine. But I wrote it, and even if I now read it a little embarrassed, it surely expresses my inner thoughts.

Don't be too hard on yourself

At least half the posts on this forum are made while consuming alcohol:lol:

3 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Somewhere between desperate and intense but not necessarily joyful.

Yes, I think you are right. Its more complicated than my simplistic "analysis".

The means, but no real goal (Born to Run), a real goal, but no means (Darkness on the Edge of Town) - perhaps.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ulfhpersson said:

The means, but no real goal (Born to Run), a real goal, but no means (Darkness on the Edge of Town) - perhaps.

Aaahhhhh..... I like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ulfhpersson said:

Darkness on the edge of town explained so much to me about why being a grown up is hard :(

Born to run is escapism (which we all need from time to time)