Greasy Lake Community

Whitetown should have been on The River.

10 minutes ago, Idiot'sDelight said:

I feel like there’s no way this song was written in 1979/80. At least not the lyrics. “Kensington Blue” is right from 07/08 Bruce vernacular. 

I agree... plus the modern vocals indicate to me that it's a case of "loosely based on a song I wrote in the 80s"

When you have tracks like Roulette and Loose Ends sitting there, it's an unpopular opinion to say that a song like Whitetown, of all of them, was the one that should have made it. He was just writing so much good music in this period, it's really hard to say that any of these lesser known tracks was the one that should have made the album. 

• Like 2

While I absolutely LOVE the song, I just don't see how or where it would fit on The River (my favorite album). Same for Roulette. While I love the song, I don't see it fitting on the River. My only "tweak" would be replace Jackson Cage (what's that song even about?) with Where The Bands Are... and somehow fit Loose End back on as intended in the single version.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Dynamo said:

Loose Ends sitting there, it's an unpopular opinion to say that a song like Whitetown, of all of them, was the one that should have made it

Until Tracks, Loose End was basically just as "unknown" as Whitetown. I wouldn't say Whitetown of all of them is an unpopular opinion, but rather all of the outtakes that weren't, say, Roulette, Be True, or Held Up Without a Gun which were polished and performed live during the River and TOL tour.

7 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

While I absolutely LOVE the song, I just don't see how or where it would fit on The River (my favorite album). Same for Roulette. While I love the song, I don't see it fitting on the River. My only "tweak" would be replace Jackson Cage (what's that song even about?) with Where The Bands Are... and somehow fit Loose End back on as intended in the single version.

Jackson Cage (which is for me one of the best songs on the River) is about being trapped in an unhappy relationship. The guy in the song has married too young, and it's too late. The title of the song is a metaphor.

He started writing more about "grown up" themes on the River.

• Like 7
45 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

For me, the only outtake that should have been on The River is Roulette! 

Stray bullet should be on the greatest hits let alone The River

• Like 2
3 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

If you have the song Roulette and don’t put it on an album then you have misconceived your album. Are you telling me Ramrod and Stolen Car had a spot on the same album but not Roulette? I mean, he wasn’t putting out full concept albums like Pink Floyd. 
I have always assumed Jackson Cage was about his sister and Jackson was a reference to Jackson, NJ, a town in Ocean County which borders Bruce’s home county of Monmouth.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Idiot'sDelight said:

I feel like there’s no way this song was written in 1979/80. At least not the lyrics. “Kensington Blue” is right from 07/08 Bruce vernacular. 

There is a pre River demo of Whitetown that feels like a ska workout. Similar lyrics, different music.

3 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

Until Tracks, Loose End was basically just as "unknown" as Whitetown. I wouldn't say Whitetown of all of them is an unpopular opinion, but rather all of the outtakes that weren't, say, Roulette, Be True, or Held Up Without a Gun which were polished and performed live during the River and TOL tour.

No, some were known before 1998 'thanks to the magic of bootlegging'; others (like Dollhouse) were not.

Also, Be True and Held Up... were released as B-sides (Roulette too of course in 1988).

• Love Love Love! 1
4 minutes ago, Lampi said:

No, some were known before 1998 'thanks to the magic of bootlegging'; others (like Dollhouse) were not.

Also, Be True and Held Up... were released as B-sides (Roulette too of course in 1988).

There was an old Whitetown boot floating around too (alongside Loose End obviously) from what I recall, no?

5 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

There was an old Whitetown boot floating around too (alongside Loose End obviously) from what I recall, no?

See previous posts; a sort of demo from the Chrevolette Deluxe session; also Mr. Outside, and some others.

Things which were never meant to be heard in public obviously; you could also call them 'fly-on-the-wall demo session'.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

There is a pre River demo of Whitetown that feels like a ska workout. Similar lyrics, different music.

Relying on a 40 year old memory now, but I'm sure at one point around 1981, more than one music journal said Bruce was seriously considering a reggae album. Not sure whether someone had wound up the music journos or it was indeed the case, but there is no mention of this in any of the books I have read. 

10 minutes ago, Green Fox said:

Bruce was seriously considering a reggae album. Not sure whether someone had wound up the music journos or it was indeed the case

Seems Bruce was listening a lot to London Calling during recording of The River album. So that would not be the Jamaica reggae then but more the reggae-influenced music; like, indeed, London Calling, or, err.. The Police....:ph34r:

Suggesting Bruce might play the same music as The Police:ph34r:; now that is a VERY VERY VERY unpopular opinion I'm afraid...:lol:

And then there is Part Man, Part Monkey.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lampi said:

See previous posts; a sort of demo from the Chrevolette Deluxe session; also Mr. Outside, and some others.

Things which were never meant to be heard in public obviously; you could also call them 'fly-on-the-wall demo session'.

When is Chevolette getting a release

And on the bonus disk of my crystal cat winterland - in the intro to the promise he says something along the line of this should have been on the last record so will be on the next

• Love Love Love! 1
12 minutes ago, Green Fox said:

Relying on a 40 year old memory now, but I'm sure at one point around 1981, more than one music journal said Bruce was seriously considering a reggae album. Not sure whether someone had wound up the music journos or it was indeed the case, but there is no mention of this in any of the books I have read. 

I would possibly take banjos and washboards over reggae

I hope that was a wind up and tracks 2 doesn't have a nasty Jamaican flavored surprise 

• Haha 1