Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

10 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Track-listing going around has also been confirmed by Apple Music

7C6A5FF0-0FD9-4B6E-986A-7589EDED18AE.thumb.png.9d5a0294c1dc7f033a24222c64246864.png

I've loved If I Was The Priest ever since I heard it on one of those old bootlegs I bought in the early 80's.  Very much interested to see what this sounds like with the band playing it (hoping that will be the case).

• Like 4
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s nothing quite like hearing new Bruce for the first time. No other artist will ever make me feel this way. Don’t ever stop Bruce. Music needs you. 

Bruce's recording and songwriting career has basically been his own life story. His songs and albums through the years have reflected the part of his life he was in both at that time and occasionally

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I think a sax outro would have been nice on this as it fades very quickly. Or, perhaps a solo after the guitar and organ break in the middle.

However in view of Jake being mention in the press release, and Ron Aniello  saying there is sax on the album, I'm relaxed about its omission from this track.

Which version did you listen to? There's a longer version on Spotify than the promo video one. No sax though.

1 minute ago, stillilllife said:

Which version did you listen to? There's a longer version on Spotify than the promo video one. No sax though.

I hadn't heard the longer version at the time. The fade on the promo video is brutal, I was pleased to find out that that wasn't the full thing.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bullett said:

Can anybody hear elements of 'Land Of Hope And Dreams' when Bruce's vocals come in...?
Been going around in my head for over 5 hours ;) Love it.

Yes. And Moonlight Motel

• Like 2

So let's just recap

So we are hearing KOD, my lucky day, LOHAD, loose change, save my love, moonlight motel - ive bound to have missed a couple

You'd think Bruce Springsteen had written this or something :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, JustDan said:

WS is as close to schmaltzy as it can get. 

Nope.

6 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

... some of the criticism of Western Stars is baffling, ‘schmaltzy’ Did people listen to the whole record or just There Goes My Miracle? I 

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Junglelander said:

I hear other songs Like LOHAD, LT, and something from WS, but that one sticks out at the forefront to me. 

Definitely Lucky Town; also the loose thread is a lyrical call back.

30 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

So let's just recap

So we are hearing KOD, my lucky day, LOHAD, loose change, save my love, moonlight motel - ive bound to have missed a couple

I'm getting 'The little things my baby does' during the bridge

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, rockaway88 said:

I like it on first listen. It gives me Lucky Day vibes from WOAD. I interpret the letter in the song to be a symbol for his career, which he sent to his listeners.

I agree. The lyrics make sense in that respect. Actually made me quite emotional watching the video with this in mind. 

He definitely seems to be very aware of his own mortality and his legacy. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rudy Golden said:

I wonder if House of a Thousand Guitars is a cover of the Willie Nile song.  They have done many Light of Day's together.

All songs on the album are original Springsteen compositions according to the press release.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mazdaq said:

I agree. The lyrics make sense in that respect. Actually made me quite emotional watching the video with this in mind. 

He definitely seems to be very aware of his own mortality and his legacy. 

Still plenty of life in us all yet 

• Love Love Love! 1

Western Stars is a brilliant late-career record.  Enough said.

Letter to You is a grower.  After listening to it multiple times, it started to ring around in my head.  Lyrically weak in parts, but Springsteen’s vocals are excellent, the band sounds great, and the production is top-notch.  I think it’s a letter to us, his fans, and part of his lifelong “conversation” he’s had with us.  

It’s a good primer to pique interest for the rest of the record.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Hybrid of a Lucky Town type song and a Western Stars track

Catching up on the thread now -- I'm thrilled that I'm far from the only one who thought this. Lucky Town is good, but held back by some things in my opinion; hearing something similar but in a more polished, E Street Band format is exciting.

11 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

If I was going to be ultra critical I'd say that I'd have liked a sax solo. Jake is listed in the press blurb so hopefully there's some nice sax elsewhere on the album.

Maybe this isn't the place for me to do so, but I'll still use this as a chance to real quickly plug Jake's 2017 solo album, Fear & Love, for anyone here who's missing him here. Good stuff. It's not an ESB album, it's not meant to sound close to one (lots of songs don't even have sax) - but still - for some Jake Clemons saxophone in your life right now, check out "Just Stay"; for some other high points off the album, check out "Sick, Broke & Broken" (a very fun rocker, and my favorite Jake original), the outstanding "All Undone" (SBB tends to be my favorite, but "All Undone" is likely an even better song - and has some great sax action too!), and maybe the opening track "Hold Tight". Jake's got a strong, charming personality that shows through a lot of the varied, very solid Fear & Love songs, and if the guy can kill it on some of the most iconic rock songs of all time to crowds of tens of thousands to such a degree that, when one of the greatest popular artists in human history drops a single to kick off the 6th decade of his work, some of his most diehard fans are left asking "Where's Jake?"... then he deserves a little more attention in the fanbase, in my opinion, and I hope he has a long and fruitful solo career ahead of him. I've just gotten into F&L relatively recently, so I haven't checked out the follow-up yet, but I'll have to do so soon.

So, if anyone here is looking for more Jake sax and haven't heard "Just Stay", "All Undone", and "Sick, Broke & Broken" yet (no sax on the latter really - but a very fun, frustrated, and politically timely rock song, to be sure) -- go check 'em out and show him some love!

11 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

That's what im thinking but it feels more inclusive

This train...

11 hours ago, Promise61 said:

There's a picture of the Castiles on his desk in the video. Odd.

Interesting! Do you recall where? I'd love to see that; that certainly reaffirms this song having a "bringing it all full circle" sentiment to it.

10 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

First singles always tend to be more middle of the road affairs. I’d say that this is a little less interesting than Hello Sunshine (which itself was hardly radical) as an opener, but it’s saved by the beauty of the band sound the production.

I'm inclined to agree, in general even if not entirely. Definitely agree that the best songs usually aren't the lead single, but am still enjoying this one. "Hello Sunshine" may be more creative musically, and I did get a similar Bruce-by-the-books feeling to others from this song... for about a minute or so -- but the self-referential lyrics quickly won me over.

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

High Hopes? Cohesion?

Hey, the comment said "usually"!

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

So let's just recap

Hahaha you read my mind. Once I saw "Loose Change" I was like.... I mean, I'm glad people are drawing connections - but wow, we're hearing things all over the map.

Which suggests to me that this song is, ultimately -- more than the by-the-numbers recreation of any one particular past song, or even era -- inspired by those earlier works, yet imbuing them with its own very fresh energy and a distinct, new approach that, even if it hearkens back to various eras, doesn't do so too thoroughly to any one era, and is thus something at once new and familiar... which seems like a great direction for this album from what we can discern of its themes so far.

I enjoyed Western Stars just fine, no complaints from me for the most part, but I'll say this song already has me more excited for this one.

• Bruuuuce! 1

First of all, I don't compare one tune "Letter To You" to the album Western Stars. It will be something complete different, which will be hardly to compare.

After several listenings I have to say Letter To You is a grower on me. The song gets better with every listening.

So I am curious for all the other tunes. A very good first track.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, THUE said:

This is fandom at its finest. You dont have to like it or love it or hate it. No rules to music. It hits you or it doesnt. No need to be angry if you like it and  someone doesnt. The only I know about music is I'M always right about the things I like. 

Nope, you're wrong

• Haha 2