Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

28 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but why does the narrator feel the need to tell the recipient what he wrote in his letter if the recipient is getting the letter anyway?

Perhaps he is speaking to someone who isn’t amongst the living anymore? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but why does the narrator feel the need to tell the recipient what he wrote in his letter if the recipient is getting the letter anyway?

I take this song metapoetically, in the sense that it’s a letter about other letters, or a song about other songs. In this light, we find Bruce singing to us about singing to us and what that has meant for him on his end.

Bruce’s music is full of artifice: we find invented characters who bear some resemblance to him, but aren’t him. I’m sure he finds himself in the man driving on Eldridge Avenue in “Stolen Car” or the the man willing to mow your lawn and clean the leaves out of your drain in “Jack of All Trades,” but these characters are also not him. So who is this guy? 

This Letter feels to me to be about Bruce writing the letters, and as a lead single, it may signal a further deconstruction of the artifice, which may be the final chapter in the “conversation.” 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

I LOVE it.

I reckon, looking at the full track listing, the album is going to be about mortality.

I "spoke"  briefly by words to Ron Anielllo on Instagram about it last night - or rather he kindly 'spoke' to me after we had had intermittent messages over past 2 months or so where I was teasing him, and pleading for info...he kept mum though obviously as I knew he would until it was out!

IMG_1948.thumb.jpg.a71b91a94dc6e36e897c6af02b5bddbf.jpg

I think the sound of the single is lovely, throws back all the way sound wise to The River for me. And the song itself sounds like a mix of the songs Lucky Town, Western Stars and Long Walk Home to me.

I just hope, on CD at least, it's not compressed like Magic, an album of great songs spoiled by it's "shrill loudness", on CD. Much better on vinyl.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ciaran said:

Ron has responded to a few people on instagram

One asked about there being sax on the album and he said there is.

Interestingly someone asked about the mic that was used for Bruces vocals, an SM7B, and if it was Ron or Bruce who chose that. Rons response:

'it was a practical decision. His vocals were cut live with the band playing at the same time. I wanted him to feel like he was on stage... his comfort zone'

Yeah I was ne of those he responded to:

IMG_1948.thumb.jpg.efe914b3927d340be5e2d60e5d7542c4.jpg

• Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, misty rain said:

No. *This* is schmaltz (Why, Jim...why?!):

Look...Kate...If you like Western Stars, good for you. I'm not telling you you're wrong. Please xtend that courtesy to someone with a different opinion. My take is WS is like elevator muzak. If you feel offended, sorry....be offended. It's certainly your prerogative. Now, let's bless the mustard & pass the sausage.

5 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Haven't read anyone else's thoughts yet, but after a first couple listens, here's how I'm feeling.

- Seeing (and hearing) the band working together like this even in 2020 is inspiring. Like I know I'm not the only one on this board who has wondered - with all the '70s stuff at the end of the last tour, Clarence and Danny gone, Max 10 years out from heart surgery, etc. - about the future of the band, but as of now everything still seems promising!

- Very satisfying to hear the E Street Band together again in general (the organ at the 2-minute mark!!)

- The execution of the falsetto took me by surprise; usually he goes into it for an entire line or set of lines, he doesn't usually build into it on just the end of a line? So it's really well-executed here and blends in with the other vocals in a way I wasn't expecting.

- Hot take? But this has biiiiig Lucky Town energy to me -- not identical since like... it's the E Street Band and sounds like the E Street Band, lol, and the vocals are very much modern Bruce and sound like it, and the production sounds very post-Western Stars. But, I don't know, something about the melodies, some of the guitars and drumming, and the introspective-yet-upbeat nature of the song make me feel like it's a cross between Lucky Town Bruce and '10s Bruce -- and I'm very down with that crossover to kick of the sixth decade(!) of his career. The vocals here also feel like the best pure rock Bruce vocals since Wrecking Ball.

- Lyrically I'm assuming the "you" is us, the listener, making this kind of feel like a catch-all reflection on his entire work -- which, if this song is approaching the end of his career, is very affecting... which I also thought about "Dream Baby Dream" as a closing track two albums ago alol so maybe I gotta stop viewing all the new releases in that light! But at any rate it feels very meta in a way I like; it'll be interesting to see to what extent the other songs are also autobiographical in a way that comprises that "letter". I think this definitely makes more sense of the revival of random 70s outtakes (thematically even if not musically); if this song's kind of an acknowledgment of his body of work itself, then bringing back some of the very earliest songs feels like it's bringing the whole thing full circle in a way that could be very impactful.

If I'm right in that read, and the album as a whole focuses on that, it could become one of my favorites, and I'm tentatively LOVING the song in that light; the unity between Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. at the beginning in '73 + Letter to You now, in '20, was noted in the other thread before this song even dropped. It feels even more striking and relevant now that we have the lyrics.

If this is album is to be basically a letter to us about the letters he's been writing us for the past 50 years, count me the fuck in.

I hear the song as a letter to the fandom as well, I'd also taken the leap to thinking the inclusion of the three old songs now made sense in this context.

But I hadn't quite made the direct connection between Greetings and this. The first, a postcard welcoming whoever wants to come and immerse themselves in Bruce's world. And now, a Letter from Bruce to those who have for so long done so. Tremendous 

• Like 6

Really interesting reading people’s interpretations of the song here and the possible lifelong body of work connection with the fans. I want to agree with this and so I will until the album is released. It makes complete sense.

After the beauty of western stars I wanted a follow up album to hold a clearly identifiable theme and I was beginning to doubt that it would have one, when I saw the inclusion of the three older songs. Now I don’t doubt. And my fears of this being another High Hopes album when I saw the track listing yesterday morning are already being rapidly dispelled by the insights of this great fan community. It feels like a brilliant choice of first track to release and a wonderfully appropriate title for the album.

I’ve been wishing away this dreadful year that is 2020 since March and I’m wishing away more of it now until October 23rd when I can listen to this record in its entirety. Thank you Bruce. Thank you Lakers. 

• Like 2
  • Hug 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

[Verse 1]
'Neath a crowd of mongrel trees I pulled that bothersome thread
Got down on my knees, grabbed my pen and bowed my head
Tried to summon all that my heart finds true
And send it in my letter to you
Whoa!

[Verse 2]
Things I found out through hard times and good
I wrote ’em all out in ink and blood
Dug deep in my soul and signed my name true
And sent it in my letter to you

[Chorus]
In my letter to you
I took all my fears and doubts
In my letter to you
All the hard things I found out
In my letter to you
All that I found true
And I sent it in my letter to you

[Instrumental]

[Verse 3]
I took all the sunshine and rain
All my happiness and all my pain
The dark evеning stars and the morning sky of blue
And I sent it in my lеtter to you

[Chorus]
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
All that I found true
I sent it in my letter to you

• Bruuuuce! 1

I wonder,given the age in which we live how many artists in the last 10-15 years have released a song about letter writing,be that real or metaphorical.

After the recent fall out it's good to see the lake full of excitement again after this announcement,though whilst he's been active doing his dj sets if he wanted to send us a letter a weekly live song performance to his fans in the way others have done through these trying times could have been something amazing.

(not a criticism just perhaps a missed opportunity though understandable,Bruce does what he wants & what he feels comfortable with)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

[Verse 1]
Whoa!

[Verse 2]

[Chorus]
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
All that I found true

[Instrumental]

[Verse 3]

[Chorus]
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
All that I found true

I really love those lyrics and find them very meaningfully

• Like 3

Great to see the band back together, kinda need some good vibes in these times.

I do the “this song sounds like that song”, thing, but thinking of it more, with 50 years of a back catalogue it must be hard to bring new material and It not having a link, or a thread lyric to some other sound.

There are only so many chord progressions, and our man must of used a few of them now. 

Great video, love the looseness of it, which will hopefully carry through the album. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

[Verse 1]
Whoa!

[Verse 2]

[Chorus]
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
All that I found true

[Instrumental]

[Verse 3]

[Chorus]
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
In my letter to you
All that I found true

To be fair, it's a pretty weak set of lyrics. The third verse especially is sixth form poetry. The first verse isn't far behind, either.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

To be fair, it's a pretty weak set of lyrics. The third verse especially is sixth form poetry. The first verse isn't far behind, either.

I doubt you'll find many people conjuring up 'mongrel trees', never mind 6th formers.

The last verse sums up his feelings of pain and happiness - light and darkness - in a way that most folk understand and empathise with. The masses 'get it' and that's why it'll sell the album - along with the catchy tune.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

28 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I wish that I could have written it along with the Bruce by numbers music (another criticism). 

It's a good catchy song and I love it and I'm bloody thankful that we are still getting music from the greatest band there is & ever was IMHO. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1