Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

48 minutes ago, Eileen said:

He's had a thread hanging for a helluva long time.  You just live with it and try to stop the rest of your life unravelling.

The same thread that was hanging loose in Lucky Town thirty years ago?  C'mon Boss,  you're better than that.

• Love Love Love! 1

2 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

It's a tree with a nasty  bark  :lol:

or ..

Cornus was used to treat dogs with mange, hence the common name Dogwood. An alternate theory for the name Dogwood is that it evolved from Dagwood, because the trees were used for making daggers and arrows.

It's Frasier's fault. I'd have gone to get ready ages ago but they moved the programme times. I'll knock the stuffing out of this day once I get going. Mebbies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

He's had a thread hanging for a helluva long time.  You just live with it and try to stop the rest of your life unravelling.

There’s another song with a thread, of course, as others have noted above:

“Had a coat of fine leather and snakeskin boots
But that coat always had a thread hangin' too loose
Well, I pulled it one night and to my surprise
It led me right past your house and on over the rise.”

The thing about pulling a thread is that more comes out than you expected and, once you pull that thread, it’s seldom the last one because all the threads are connected to other threads. In “Lucky Town,” though Bruce is a rich man with fine leather and boots, there’s that bothersome thread than he can’t help but pull.

In the case of “Lucky Town,” he fortunate in the sense that he has Patti, his family, and (as much as this bothers us) he has shed the baggage of E-Street and the persona of Bruuuuce!” He has “dirt on my hands from building me a new home.”

In the case of “Letter to You,” he’s talking about pulling that same thread that brings the hurt and pain and sorrow and joy. This time there’s some thankfulness (though he doesn’t say this explicitly), that he had a place to send that letter and an audience to receive it. Somebody has been “alive out there.” 

People have made a connection to the sound of Lucky Town already, but the song’s most striking lyric (the opening) also bears a resemblance.

• Like 4

Just now, Appleorchard253 said:

There’s another song with a thread, of course:

“Had a coat of fine leather and snakeskin boots
But that coat always had a thread hangin' too loose
Well, I pulled it one night and to my surprise
It led me right past your house and on over the rise.”

Hence the video. First song I thought of when I first heard the new one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

To be fair, it's a pretty weak set of lyrics. The third verse especially is sixth form poetry. The first verse isn't far behind, either.

Not sure why this post has got such a negative response. When did the Lake become so combative? 

FWIW, I agree with this post. The lyrics don't do much for me. Especially the forced "iiiiinnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkk and blood" line. The music and Bruce's voice save the song.

Regardless of the pandemic and the political climate, no artist gets a free pass from fair comment. A new Bruce album is welcome, but I'm not going to say this song is a 10/10 because of how bad 2020 has been, just as I don't view Nebraska as a masterpiece simply because it came out when the US economy was in tatters. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, borntorunsean said:

What is a mongrel tree?

I’ve been scratching my head over this one too. The full lyric is “‘neath a crowd of mongrel trees I pulled that bothersome thread.”

Take this with a few heaps of salt: I see Bruce as setting the stage for where he wrote the letter. The focus is on him and his experience writing the letter. Trees in general provide a respite from the hot sun, a place to sit and rest and reflect, a being that provides us nourishment (as in fruit for us to eat as well as oxygen to breathe), and of course the knowledge of Good and evil and the Fall of Man. These are the themes of course he explores and he lives to explore the ambivalence in those things. Work and love, for example,  give us life also bring us pain and hurt (think “Factory”)

I read this line not as Bruce sitting under one “mongrel” tree, but under many different kinds of trees, possibly on many occasions writing many different letters (hence the “crowd”). Sometimes those trees bring nourishment and sometimes they bring the fall of man. In either case, he’s pulling the thread and finding it’s all interwoven.

In this case, you might argue that the “crowd” is mongrel and not the tree. Probably. There’s a literary device known as a “transferred epithet” where an adjective qualifies one noun, but its sense really belongs with another. We do this all the time without thinking too much about it. A common example people give is “he spent many a restless night...” it’s not the night that’s restless, it’s the person who is restless. 

As I read “the letter,” what he means is his whole body of work. Its actually multiple letters, which require multiple trees. 

I’ll also note the term “crowd,” which is a strange term to describe trees. I’d expect him to say “canopy” or forest or, if he were feeling really pretentious, a bluff or a copse. Bruce thinks in terms of the “crowd” though, and the trees become an audience for him to bear witness to the experience of writing the letter. The song then becomes a kind of performance itself. Bruce performs the act of writing for a crowd of trees, and what he’s writing are his songs, which he performs for us. And this song brings the two together: the writing of the letter will be itself a performance when, God willing, we get to see him perform this live on tour.

Or...something else. It wouldn’t be the first time one of my wild interpretations of something has been way, way off. 

• Like 4

Even though a large amount of Lakers have departed, there still remain a clique who simply cannot handle any criticism of our hero and who can't accept an opinion different to their own.

God help you when the album finally arrives.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I thought it was okay. It’s not great by any means, but it’s good to hear Bruce and the band back together again though.  I liked the production and sound. I much prefer Aniello over O’Brien.  Bruce’s voice sounded strong and that’s a relief as I was little worried after the Western Stars concert thing.

Yes it’s a little weak lyrically, but I’m reminded that Hello Sunshine and There Goes My Miracle are my two least favorite and a couple of the imo weaker songs on Western Stars, so I’m hoping the stronger stuff lies ahead. Can’t wait to see what he did with Song for Orphans and If I Was a Priest

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

Not sure why this post has got such a negative response. When did the Lake become so combative? 

FWIW, I agree with this post. The lyrics don't do much for me. Especially the forced "iiiiinnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkk and blood" line. The music and Bruce's voice save the song.

Regardless of the pandemic and the political climate, no artist gets a free pass from fair comment. A new Bruce album is welcome, but I'm not going to say this song is a 10/10 because of how bad 2020 has been, just as I don't view Nebraska as a masterpiece simply because it came out when the US economy was in tatters. 

No combat here - just pals adding their twopennerth. My comment towards Paul was to do with the 'shame' word, not cos he doesn't think much of the words. 

Differing thoughts are welcome and will be countered if needs be. Joshing and pulling of legs will also continue, especially between folk who know leg-pulling is what's meant.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Even though a large amount of Lakers have departed, there still remain a clique who simply cannot handle any criticism of our hero and who can't accept an opinion different to their own.

They haven't ... most are still posting here. ;)

• Like 1

I think it's a good song, and I don't mind the lyrics at all. In fact I think they are good and say all that has to be said.

I don't expect Bruce to have lyrics like Racing in the Street or Jungleland for every song he does. It's a rock and roll song with a message and I think it gets it over quite well. Musically, I love it. The guitar twang, the power, the arrangement is good as well. he sounds in good voice. Very much looking forward to the album. Remember it's his 20th album of his career and he is in his 70's now and getting to end of that train ride we have all been on with him. I think it will be yet another high quality album.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

The same thread that was hanging loose in Lucky Town thirty years ago?  C'mon Boss,  you're better than that.

One of my favourite Springsteen lyrics is the hanging thread on Lucky town

• Like 1

Ok, the song is growing on me a little. On my drive home last night I was wondering where I would rank it amongst his other songs and I came to the conclusion that it fits in a generic mid-range of songs that are neither good or bad (a list in its own right).

That said, it is growing on me. I feel it could have benefited with a bit more zip... it has a nice galloping feel to it but they missed an opportunity not making that more pronounced.... if they had produced this more like 'series of dreams' it could have been a real belter.

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

It’s cool. Not every song or album is for everyone. We all respond to different things and there’s nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2