Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

2 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Personally I'm not bothered about having these ancient songs on this album as they're pretty much unknown to me, although some of you may have listened to them many times over the years.  I don't tend to delve into all the outtakes, etc very much.

I would guess that once the promotional interviews start, one of the first questions will deal with why three such old songs have been resurrected. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s nothing quite like hearing new Bruce for the first time. No other artist will ever make me feel this way. Don’t ever stop Bruce. Music needs you. 

Bruce's recording and songwriting career has basically been his own life story. His songs and albums through the years have reflected the part of his life he was in both at that time and occasionally

Posted Images

13 hours ago, JustDan said:

Look...Kate...If you like Western Stars, good for you. I'm not telling you you're wrong. Please xtend that courtesy to someone with a different opinion. My take is WS is like elevator muzak. If you feel offended, sorry....be offended. It's certainly your prerogative. Now, let's bless the mustard & pass the sausage.

Not offended at all, I just disagree. I thought that's what a discussion board is for. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I would guess that once the promotional interviews start, one of the first questions will deal with why three such old songs have been resurrected. 

The suggestion made by several people that he was previously working on them for tracks 2 and then decided to put them on a new album seems logical.

But with the press release saying the album was recorded over 5 days and cut live - I dunno - I like to imagine that when rehearsing one morning Steve just started playing the opening riff to Janey needs a shooter and then Bruce said "yeh let's have another go at that!"

Probably unlikely, but that's how it happened in my head.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
3 minutes ago, timeisillusion said:

I like to imagine that when rehearsing one morning Steve just started playing the opening riff to Janey needs a shooter and then Bruce said "yeh let's have another go at that!"

Probably unlikely, but that's how it happened in my head.

Not out of the question it could have been something like that

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, misty rain said:

Not offended at all, I just disagree. I thought that's what a discussion board is for. 

you're right...it's not Manilow-schmaltzy. I chose a bad adjective. I just don't like it. That's all

• Like 3
5 hours ago, borntorunsean said:

Just my opinion but I really think his standards have dropped over the last decade or so. There's no way a younger Bruce releases bang average pop rockers like this. I mean it's ok but this wouldn't get near a release in the 70s or 80s. 

I was of the same opinion on my first couple of listens. But...I had a couple of beers and played it on YouTube with the lyrics on screen.

It hit me like a brick. Brucie is speaking to us, his die hard fans, us the people who know him the best, who have been with him for years from dark skies to blue. He is telling how he came to bare his faults and flaws to me. He bowed his head. He dug deep in his soul and signed his name true. And he sent it in a letter to me.

Brucie often brings me to tears when I listen to his lyrics. I'm bubbling now. Probably the beers but I'm not sure.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Great to see the band all together in the studio, and the songs apparently recorded with them actually playing as a band. 

The single is ok, but if I'm being honest I'm slightly disappointed with it. Having said that when Hello Sunshine came out, I felt the same way, and I loved that album.

Hopefully there are songs as good on this album, as 3 or 4 on Western Stars, which I would call some of the best he's ever done.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

That's never stopped people bitching / complaining / moaning / tutting / praising / eulogising / wetting themselves (delete as applicable) before!

Well!!....I Never :angry:

Actually, nevermind....I have.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, mariasbed said:

Hopefully there are songs as good on this album, as 3 or 4 on Western Stars, which I would call some of the best he's ever done.

We are talking two different genres. This album is RnR, WS is Americana.  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

I don’t think the fact he’s got three songs from circa Greetings From Asbury Park on an album called Letter To You is a coincidence. Maybe this is the closing of the circle.

I think it almost certainly is. Bruce has a keen sense for narrative arc: “Thunder Road” is in the morning, “Jungle land” at night. 

This is a farewell letter, a thank you letter. I think this is probably the last album of new material he expects to write. 

That’s not saying that we won’t get Tracks 2 or reissues of Nebraska or BITUSA. Or that he won’t go on tour. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

We are talking two different genres. This album is RnR, WS is Americana.  

I realize they are different types of music, but a good song is a good song. Moonlight Motel and Western Stars are great songs, Badlands and Born To Run are great songs, regardless of what genre you put them in.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I don’t think the fact he’s got three songs from circa Greetings From Asbury Park on an album called Letter To You is a coincidence. Maybe this is the closing of the circle.

I think there's alot of a "just in case" situation, rather than a total the end !! , like millions around the world we hope he continues to age like a fine old malt scotch whisky, and continues to send many more letters to us all. 

• Love Love Love! 1
4 hours ago, Appleorchard253 said:

I think it almost certainly is. Bruce has a keen sense for narrative arc: “Thunder Road” is in the morning, “Jungle land” at night. 

This is a farewell letter, a thank you letter. I think this is probably the last album of new material he expects to write. 

That’s not saying that we won’t get Tracks 2 or reissues of Nebraska or BITUSA. Or that he won’t go on tour. 

I’m not going to sit on the fence here but....

Last album ? 

Absolute poppycock . :D

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

There’s one thing that was annoying me on this single .... I couldn’t put my finger on it . Then I realised ... it’s the edit ! 

who on earth decided on that clumsy fade out at the end as max is about to give it some !!! 
they won’t be doing that to him in the shows next year !!!!B)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

There’s one thing that was annoying me on this single .... I couldn’t put my finger on it . Then I realised ... it’s the edit ! 

who on earth decided on that clumsy fade out at the end as max is about to give it some !!! 
they won’t be doing that to him in the shows next year !!!!B)

Plenty space left before and at the end of the song for the sax 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

It's amazing how many fans visit the lake to voice their opinion on how Bruce is doing things wrong.

It used to bug me a while back, now i just think it's funny... and a bit sad. (fuck off trolls)

I'm loving this new song, I'm loving the video even more. 

Seeing Bruce and all his mates having such a good time and taking pride and joy at what they do and have been doing for decades is just fuckin' superb. I wish Danny and the Big Man were there too, it always softens the joy of a new video not seeing them.

He's a 70+ year old rock God, i love him to bits I can't wait to listen to the new album.

For years and years I've always felt a thrill, a knott in my belly when he puts out a new record, it always seems to come at at time when I need his music so bad, and once again his music gives me the lift I need so bad.

I wish I could tell him how much his music means to me. I know that is impossible because with every listen, every 3 min record of his i listen to it just means more...the older you get the more it means.

So true.  The new song is great!

I guess nobody hates a Springsteen song more than than Springsteen fans.

• Haha 2