Greasy Lake Community

I was just happy to see a smile on his face at least once or twice in the video.  The Ancient Brooder is not how I like to see him.  But, he gets to be who he wants to be, I really have no say.  Hell, maybe that's who he is, and if so, that's just fine, at this point, I am owed nothing.

• Like 4
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s nothing quite like hearing new Bruce for the first time. No other artist will ever make me feel this way. Don’t ever stop Bruce. Music needs you. 

Bruce's recording and songwriting career has basically been his own life story. His songs and albums through the years have reflected the part of his life he was in both at that time and occasionally

Posted Images

4 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

It's amazing how many fans visit the lake to voice their opinion on how Bruce is doing things wrong.

It used to bug me a while back, now i just think it's funny... and a bit sad. (fuck off trolls)

I'm loving this new song, I'm loving the video even more. 

Seeing Bruce and all his mates having such a good time and taking pride and joy at what they do and have been doing for decades is just fuckin' superb. I wish Danny and the Big Man were there too, it always softens the joy of a new video not seeing them.

He's a 70+ year old rock God, i love him to bits I can't wait to listen to the new album.

For years and years I've always felt a thrill, a knott in my belly when he puts out a new record, it always seems to come at at time when I need his music so bad, and once again his music gives me the lift I need so bad.

I wish I could tell him how much his music means to me. I know that is impossible because with every listen, every 3 min record of his i listen to it just means more...the older you get the more it means.

Personally, I find it interesting reading people's different opinions when Bruce brings something new out.

The majority of posters seem to really like the new single, some are a bit ambivalent about it, and a few don't like it at all. Wouldn't be that interesting if every single poster thought everything Bruce brought out was brilliant.

Having said that, it can be a bit much,when someone spends more than a year letting everyone know that they didn't like the last album!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, how great isn't this! :)

2020 just got alot better. Great song, great production, and most of all great to see them back together again doing what they're meant to do.

For me this is just as good a first single as Radio Nowhere were when it came out as the first single from Magic 'some misty years ago'.

Loud drums, lots of guitars, beautiful piano, so good to hear and see the E Street Band back together again. Love the way its recorded live in the studio.

I hear some of Land of Hope and Dreams and Lucky Town in there, neither of which is a bad thing. Very excited to hear the rest of the album! B)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
On 9/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, Frank said:

Nice sound, great singing, lyrics pretty average. I like the prominent organ. I'm curious to know if it's Charlie or Dave Sancious playing. 

No confirmation obviously, but spotted Charlie a couple of times in the video. Btw. has Davey ever worked with Bruce in studio again in the modern era of the E St. Band? Would seem like a very Un-Bruce thing to do to all the sudden bring him back now?

27 minutes ago, the-chickenman said:

No confirmation obviously, but spotted Charlie a couple of times in the video. Btw. has Davey ever worked with Bruce in studio again in the modern era of the E St. Band? Would seem like a very Un-Bruce thing to do to all the sudden bring him back now?

I had written my comment before watching the video was out, and before the press release. It is clearly Charlie playing. Even without seeing him, it sounds like him. Dave has a different style. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I don’t think the fact he’s got three songs from circa Greetings From Asbury Park on an album called Letter To You is a coincidence. Maybe this is the closing of the circle.

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into that. I suspect the inclusion of three nearly fifty years old songs might have more to do with renewing copyrights than making a statement, especially in 'this-live-in-the-studio-approach' context. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

There’s one thing that was annoying me on this single .... I couldn’t put my finger on it . Then I realised ... it’s the edit ! 

who on earth decided on that clumsy fade out at the end as max is about to give it some !!! 
they won’t be doing that to him in the shows next year !!!!B)

The ending is slightly longer than what we're hearing on YTube.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, badlands78 said:

So true.  The new song is great!

I guess nobody hates a Springsteen song more than than Springsteen fans.

You havn't meet my Gary :(

He hates them so much he knows way more of them than your average casual fan ... and he hates them all ....except the river which he is sure its also sung by someone else who sounds less like a concrete mixer :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have to say that when I watched the video, And when they were all arriving, I couldn’t help - rightly or wrongly, that I clicked onto an old Ealing comedy, The Ladykillers (or for younger peeps) One last job- I got the sense of some old lags getting together for a final job.:lol:

im not saying that’s what I think, just the video had that appearance given the black and white.

Sounds good, and the Duane eddy twangs of the guitar was Most welcome.

as for criticism, people are entitled to fill their boots if they so desire,

what I would point out is the fact that not many people are at their prime when they reach the seventies (not the decade- obviously that was his prime for me). So for me, I cut him slack, and take what I can get.

as for future tours, we should not expect what we got post 16. After Western stars and this track, I feel his voice not as strong as it once was, unsurprisingly. May be a different type of set list, or less tracks spaced out with more chat, or shorter sets. Who knows, just a gut feel.

as for lyrics, surely after all the words and phrases he has used in the thousand of songs, he should be cut a bit of slack for repeats?

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

....and if I may say  it's much much better for it.

Longer but not a lot of imagination to it. I like exciting outros ... but then again, I'm a Killers fan. ;)  

• Like 1

I think it is definitely a grower, at first I felt it was a good song but not a great song, but now I like it more and more. I love the sentimentand the idea that it's a letter to us as his fanbase.

I feel like Bruce tends to release singles which are most representative of the theme of the album rather than necessarily the best songs. After I'm excited to hear the best songs off the album.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, borntorunsean said:

Just my opinion but I really think his standards have dropped over the last decade or so. There's no way a younger Bruce releases bang average pop rockers like this. I mean it's ok but this wouldn't get near a release in the 70s or 80s. 

But there's a big difference in how you see the world at 20-30 & how you see it at 60-70,at 25 he's Born To Run,at 65 he's just glad his boots are still on.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

who on earth decided on that clumsy fade out at the end as max is about to give it some !!! 
they won’t be doing that to him in the shows next year !!!!B)

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

The ending is slightly longer than what we're hearing on YTube.

Longer version

• Love Love Love! 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I’m not going to sit on the fence here but....

Last album ? 

Absolute poppycock . :D

We've been discussing/analyzing/dissecting every Bruce's move for a couple of decades by now around here.

Does anybody really believe that Mr. Springsteen would have written these songs over just a few weeks, and recorded them in five days only, if this album were deliberately meant to be his "farewell letter"?

No way, IMHO.

(And to be honest: nothing could/will ever match the 'Biography + Springsteen on Broadway + Western Stars movie' combo in terms of "farewell letter").

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Longer version

Gee ! if you turn it up full volume it goes from a good song to a pretty dam awsome song !

This is the first time ive heard it without the video

Its really really good ! 

He still holds a tune well 

What more can i ask for :)

• Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Stranger in town said:

as for lyrics, surely after all the words and phrases he has used in the thousand of songs, he should be cut a bit of slack for repeats?

But Dylan's latest album (5* reviews all round pretty much)  has been praised for its imagination  and for being rich in its lyricism.

25 minutes ago, philipboyle said:

After several listens, it has all the hallmarks of a great song, with the chorus particularly strong. The test of a truly great song is that you can't wait to hear it again.

That's why i had to get out of bed and go get my phone !

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

But Dylan's latest album (5* reviews all round pretty much)  has been praised for its imagination  and for being rich in its lyricism.

Bruce is not Dylan, and it's a good thing that he soon gave up trying to write like him.

Sorry can’t comment, I don’t listen to Bob, or read the reviews.

I am not a fan of Bob to be honest, but maybe he is just outlasting Bruce.

i prefer covers of Bobs songS rather than the originals, except for -Baby stop Cryin’.

i haven’t read a critics review since I stopped buying the NME Around the time when the Jam split.

what I will say is that I find it hard to enough to recount phrases that have already been written, let alone come up with originals and I’m eight year younger:lol:.

age definitely takes its toll on the mind and at different rates for each of us.

Aren't all of Dylan's latest albums just cover albums? With the exception of the very last one of course.