Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s nothing quite like hearing new Bruce for the first time. No other artist will ever make me feel this way. Don’t ever stop Bruce. Music needs you. 

Bruce's recording and songwriting career has basically been his own life story. His songs and albums through the years have reflected the part of his life he was in both at that time and occasionally

Posted Images

I referred to it as a catchy tune earlier. Can't be that catchy cos I was sitting in a café today, trying to remember the song.

Nothing. Zilch. I'll wait until the cd comes out before I listen to it again to remind me.

1 hour ago, High Lonesome said:

Aren't all of Dylan's latest albums just cover albums? With the exception of the very last one of course.

Yup. His latest album before the last one consisting of original material was Tempest, which was released 8 years ago. He has released 3 cover albums after that.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, mariasbed said:

I realize they are different types of music, but a good song is a good song. Moonlight Motel and Western Stars are great songs, Badlands and Born To Run are great songs, regardless of what genre you put them in.

Americana is a very loose genre--as a musical term, it began as a hybrid between rock and roll and roots country, but has now become a catch-all phrase.

I think Western Stars is akin to the music I grew up on and listened to on am radio stations that were called rock and roll radio stations. In the 80's, rock and roll became stratified to what I'd call rock music; it became more segregated and more discriminating (in the worst sense of the word). I heard Glen Campbell, James Brown, Carole King, and the Beatles on oldies stations and I guess that's why I listened to oldies stations a lot in high school and college. I liked the whole gamut. 

But Bruce was played primarily on rock radio, fm radio. I listened to that, too: I loved Tom Petty, Bob Seger, the Stones, the Beatles, the Who, Fleetwood Mac, and of course, Bruce. But I didn't like art rock or what I thought of as generic rock (Journey, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Bad Company, Kansas, etc.). I didn't listen to rock radio solely. Too limiting. (But I couldn't have articulated why or what was happening. That has been a more recent realization.)

Sorry to digress, but I think it's musically incorrect to remove Western Stars from this new song. They are united in many ways.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Elbow said:

I was of the same opinion on my first couple of listens. But...I had a couple of beers and played it on YouTube with the lyrics on screen.

It hit me like a brick. Brucie is speaking to us, his die hard fans, us the people who know him the best, who have been with him for years from dark skies to blue. He is telling how he came to bare his faults and flaws to me. He bowed his head. He dug deep in his soul and signed his name true. And he sent it in a letter to me.

Brucie often brings me to tears when I listen to his lyrics. I'm bubbling now. Probably the beers but I'm not sure.

EXACTLY how I feel. 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2
23 hours ago, Elbow said:

I was of the same opinion on my first couple of listens. But...I had a couple of beers and played it on YouTube with the lyrics on screen.

It hit me like a brick. Brucie is speaking to us, his die hard fans, us the people who know him the best, who have been with him for years from dark skies to blue. He is telling how he came to bare his faults and flaws to me. He bowed his head. He dug deep in his soul and signed his name true. And he sent it in a letter to me.

Brucie often brings me to tears when I listen to his lyrics. I'm bubbling now. Probably the beers but I'm not sure.

Nice post, I doubt it's the beer btw, most likely a damn fly 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, Stranger in town said:

Was just reading some of the comments on his official FB page. There are some proper whack jobs out there.

Full credit to our hero for not having a minder with him every time he goes out. Especially after posing in front of the Dakota building.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Skin2Skin said:

Your hubby makes some great points :)

I especially like how he ties in no saxophone

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Elbow said:

Great take on the song. Who is his audience on this? 

He writes a blog (The Old Grey Cat) mostly about music, but also memories. His audience is early Gen X-ers and late Baby Boomers, he says :) 

Just now, Skin2Skin said:

He writes a blog (The Old Grey Cat) mostly about music, but also memories. His audience is early Gen X-ers and late Baby Boomers, he says :) 

Ive read some of his before that you posted ages ago.

How does one subscribe to this blog please D ?

• Like 1

You can click follow on the blog itself--go all the way to the bottom and a "follow" pop-up box appears. It's underneath his "Follow me on Twitter."

Thanks for your interest. He is very dedicated to his blog and updates weekly. He is much more mellow than I am :), but equally passionate about music.

• Thanks 1