Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

1 minute ago, Jertucky said:

It’s funny, that’s my fear. Do I just like it because I hated the last stuff he put out or do I like it on it’s own merits? Time will tell but for now, it’s working for me.

It leaves me cold becuase his last stuff was sooo good. This feels generic to me which is a bit of a shame.

1 minute ago, Jertucky said:

It’s funny, that’s my fear. Do I just like it because I hated the last stuff he put out or do I like it on it’s own merits? Time will tell but for now, it’s working for me.

Don't over think it

Just enjoy it in the moment

None of is are getting any younger

I do love western stars and i find the music really lovelly but its not joyish yo me

This is 

The ESB are in the house !

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

It leaves me cold becuase his last stuff was sooo good. This feels generic to me which is a bit of a shame.

Different perspectives. Generic Springsteen is pretty damn good. High quality ABBA is less than generic Springsteen.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, freeholdboro91 said:

Patti is in the video wonder if they even turned her guitar on during recording. 

How cool would it be to see ONLY the original guys out there with just Jake?

Bruce; Steve; Max; Gary; Roy & Jake !!

Love ya Pat; Nils & Charlie .... but it would be awesome one last time ..

Brad

• Like 2

My two cents:

I love the way he sings the word "pain" at the 2:52 mark . . . for me, it's those little snippets of raw emotion that bring his studio tracks alive.

I hear a lot of "'I'll Work for Your Love" in this tune . . . a lot, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  

The lyrics are nice, but perhaps a little broad.

It's a solid enough song and the E Street sound is definitely there and that ALWAYS gives me chills during a first listen.

I hope there a few grittier/angrier rockers in this batch of tunes.

I love everything he does, hell, I love him, so I'm sure I'll think the album is winner.

• Like 5

Wow. That wasn't what I was expecting... but in the best way possible. Gives me "if WOAD was recorded in the 90s with the E Street Band" vibes. Love the sound, particularly the guitar and organ. Bruce is in great voice too. I agree the lyrics may be a bit broad, but they read so undeniably Springsteen. He's back. The band is back. This is exciting.

• Like 3

Streaming at Rolling Stone website if you want to watch the video. Fun to see all the gang together. 

It's going to be a grower for me. I Like the lyrics, but after a first listen, I would say the musical arrangement took too much of a back seat to the words written.

1 hour ago, burgessliam22 said:

Could the letter also be to us, the fans, "I put all my fears and doubts and I sent it to you" 

That is exactly how I heard it. To me, it's an expression of his career, especially in the last few years.

It can also be heard as a personal love song.

That's called good art.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, after my third listen, it's really good. Unless I've just been that deprived for that long. I love it. 

Now bring on the Thousand Guitars. 

It also took me a few listens to really like it. Every time I hear it, I like it more.

I hear the Byrds, but also the Heartbreakers as someone said earlier. (But then, Petty was very Byrds-influenced.)

I also hear echoes of Western Stars, but it seems to me that Western Stars was different personas Bruce was sharing, they were him, but also not him.

This is him. Intimately talking to us.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1