Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s nothing quite like hearing new Bruce for the first time. No other artist will ever make me feel this way. Don’t ever stop Bruce. Music needs you. 

Bruce's recording and songwriting career has basically been his own life story. His songs and albums through the years have reflected the part of his life he was in both at that time and occasionally

Posted Images

It's no Thunder Rd or Badlands, but then I'm sure no one expected that.

It sounds nice and it sounds like E St. A decent mix of singer/songwriter, rock, folk...perhaps a-la Isbell. Jake's not featured in the song or vid. Hope that's not an ominous sign.

1 hour ago, Ciaran said:

Ron has responded to a few people on instagram

One asked about there being sax on the album and he said there is.

Interestingly someone asked about the mic that was used for Bruces vocals, an SM7B, and if it was Ron or Bruce who chose that. Rons response:

'it was a practical decision. His vocals were cut live with the band playing at the same time. I wanted him to feel like he was on stage... his comfort zone'

Ron is a fucking star. Doesn’t seem to be everyone’s cup of tea but the sound of the stuff he’s been involved with has been great. The new single is no exception. 

Love the way he gives out bits of info in the music like the bits you mention here. 

• Like 6

Some of the negative comments, this is the Boss. He has been releasing music for nearly 50 years and still produces new stuff. Enjoy it, you never know when it will be the last. 

Bruce’s new albums always grow on me. Even now I still listen to something like The River and discover how good a song actually is !!!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
6 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Ron is a fucking star. Doesn’t seem to be everyone’s cup of tea but the sound of the stuff he’s been involved with has been great. The new single is no exception. 

Love the way he gives out bits of info in the music like the bits you mention here. 

ron is quite candid in that Brian Hiatt book that he went too far with some of the production choices he made on wrecking ball/high hopes (altho i bet bruce is the one who has the fina call on stuff like this)

his work on western stars was magnificent and i am loving the sound of this recent song. if the album doesnt have any celtic strings, drum loops or tom morello solos then it will already be better than high hopes

• Love Love Love! 1
20 minutes ago, JustDan said:

It's no Thunder Rd or Badlands, but then I'm sure no one expected that.

It sounds nice and it sounds like E St. A decent mix of singer/songwriter, rock, folk...perhaps a-la Isbell. Jake's not featured in the song or vid. Hope that's not an ominous sign.

To be honest, I think he is capable of that (he proved that with western stars).

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

To be honest, I think he is capable of that (he proved that with western stars).

Sorry. Not a fan of WS. Pop-schmaltz to me. This sounds better.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ciaran said:

Ron has responded to a few people on instagram

One asked about there being sax on the album and he said there is.

I think a sax outro would have been nice on this as it fades very quickly. Or, perhaps a solo after the guitar and organ break in the middle.

However in view of Jake being mention in the press release, and Ron Aniello  saying there is sax on the album, I'm relaxed about its omission from this track.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Marnix said:

This song already way better than the complete Western Stars project. That was really a deception for me. 

Completely agree. WS is as close to schmaltzy as it can get. It's just another one of his vanity projects, which he is certainly allowed, given his accolades and stature as an artist. This new song is not classic Springsteen, but it comes a lot closer than WS. & it's an E St. record to boot.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

I must admit, the first couple of lines ... :wacko:

And he likes a "thread" and "'neath" does our Bruce.

And we get a 'sky of blue again' among other cliches.  That's lazy.

Clearly, Landau is no longer critiquing and editing his lyrics.

9 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I think a sax outro would have been nice on this as it fades very quickly. Or, perhaps a solo after the guitar and organ break in the middle.

However in view of Jake being mention in the press release, and Ron Aniello  saying there is sax on the album, I'm relaxed about its omission from this track.

I think a sax would make it too generic, too obvious and too Bruce.

I'm glad it's not there.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

He should have called it Letter to Mary and her Smiling Skull Ring.

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

Its not 1978 anymore

Nevermind...Unnecessary comment.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I think a sax would make it too generic, too obvious and too Bruce.

I'm glad it's not there.

Agree, I think sax will be mainstays on other tracks. You have to remember they are still trying to reach new people as well, so it would be a "Bruce" cliche to have sax be on the first single.  

• Like 2

We've discussed WS and its merits in another thread. I think it is completely pointless to compare the two most recent albums now, especially now. We have very few information concerning 'Letter to You', but one thing seams pretty clear to me. It is, in its making, as distant to WS as it could be, and this is most probably done on purpose. WS was an extremely elaborated non-E Street non rock-n' roll project, which was almost eight years in the making. 'Letter to You' is a 5 day E Street rock n' roll live in the studio project. This polarity between projects has been one of the most interesting Bruce's features since (at least) the opposition between BTR and DOTEOT production. Imagine some 1984 fans claiming the freshly released 'Dancin' in the Dark' single was better than anything they heard on Nebraska... Pointless, as I said.

• Like 1