Greasy Lake Community

NEW SINGLE: Letter To You

1 hour ago, Skin2Skin said:

I also hear echoes of Western Stars, but it seems to me that Western Stars was different personas Bruce was sharing, they were him, but also not him.

I believe that is why it took a couple runs at it before commenting. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s nothing quite like hearing new Bruce for the first time. No other artist will ever make me feel this way. Don’t ever stop Bruce. Music needs you. 

Bruce's recording and songwriting career has basically been his own life story. His songs and albums through the years have reflected the part of his life he was in both at that time and occasionally

Posted Images

Both the title, and the speedy recording process bring to mind Neil Young’s A Letter Home, although the sound is a lot clearer. Not sure what to make if the single but some of the criticism of Western Stars is baffling, ‘schmaltzy’ Did people listen to the whole record or just There Goes My Miracle? I thought High Hopes veered from great, ‘Hunter..’ to awful, ‘This is My Sword’ I thought Wrecking Ball was great. We’ll see what the new one brings. Oh, I have no issue with Bruce recording old songs but going back to ‘73 is a bit of a reach!

• Like 1

It reminds me a little of the Promise-era songs, like Gotta Get that Feeling, Save My Love, Rendezvous, Restless Nights, Loose Ends, etc. I think Bruce is probably trying to go for something with a much more familiar and beloved sound, but it's not a sound  that he's released a whole lot of on official records (excluding Tracks). Probably will be late 70s/early 80s E Street energy that's more romantic and introspective than the angrier sound of Darkness. The fact that he's recording beloved 70s bootleg songs probably corroborates this...

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

think it is a refugee from the promise, its pretty good think it will grow on me. better than WS for me but for me that aint difficult, and like someonr else said what is a mongrel tree, he does like an odd lyric here and there,

Hybrid?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Frank said:

We've discussed WS and its merits in another thread. I think it is completely pointless to compare the two most recent albums now, especially now. We have very few information concerning 'Letter to You', but one thing seams pretty clear to me. It is, in its making, as distant to WS as it could be, and this is most probably done on purpose. WS was an extremely elaborated non-E Street non rock-n' roll project, which was almost eight years in the making. 'Letter to You' is a 5 day E Street rock n' roll live in the studio project. This polarity between projects has been one of the most interesting Bruce's features since (at least) the opposition between BTR and DOTEOT production. Imagine some 1984 fans claiming the freshly released 'Dancin' in the Dark' single was better than anything they heard on Nebraska... Pointless, as I said.

I think comparing our own experience in how this new release feels vs WS coming out is valid.

You're right - musically they are polar opposite and that, for me, is what makes it great regardless of which I prefer. He’s continued, good or bad, to be wildly unpredictable in his career choices. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I think comparing our own experience in how this new release feels vs WS coming out is valid.

You're right - musically they are polar opposite and that, for me, is what makes it great regardless of which I prefer. He’s continued, good or bad, to be wildly unpredictable in his career choices. 

The most predictable thing is that this album would sound different than the one that preceded it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, borntorunsean said:

Standard Bruce rocker of the last twenty years. Basic lyrics nice music. That's it. 

Yes, I would have to agree with this but definitely looking forward to the rest of the album.  

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Bullett said:

Can anybody hear elements of 'Land Of Hope And Dreams' when Bruce's vocals come in...?
Been going around in my head for over 5 hours ;) Love it.

You know what I just heard it now for the fourth time today, and that was exactly what I was hearing. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
30 minutes ago, Seebab said:

Yes, I would have to agree with this but definitely looking forward to the rest of the album.  

Because this is a single and not the album, we are listening to it in that context--but Bruce is usually an album guy, aiming for cohesion. It will be interesting to hear it within the context of the album. 

Which I am also looking forward to doing :)

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

You know what I just heard it now for the fourth time today, and that was exactly what I was hearing. 

38 minutes ago, Bullett said:

Can anybody hear elements of 'Land Of Hope And Dreams' when Bruce's vocals come in...?
Been going around in my head for over 5 hours ;) Love it.

I heard it musically in the small breakdown.