Greasy Lake Community

Songs that should have been on an album

There are so many songs been looked over missed out over the years because they 'don't belong/follow the theme' on the album..which is fair enough the usual suspects, we all know them, but I'm going to say a recent one which I absolutely love and  believe should have been on one, "I'll stand by you always" a fantastic song pretty much forgotten about, real shame

Bruce should have released more stand-alone singles, except (only) Streets of Philadelphia, Dead Man Walking and Missing (or I forgot one?).

As a little side-effect, also more songs released as B-sides.

• Like 2

Much as I love albums with ‘themes,’ and/or specific genres/styles; nothing wrong IMO with albums/collections such as Tracks, High Hopes, the various outtakes albums, etc... 

I also LOVE I’ll Stand By You Always (as does Mr RJM).  

Also wish he’d have put Protection on something... 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I think Be True should've been put on The River, Bruce has said he regrets not doing this. I think it was Crush On You that took it's place, which is still a good song

Little White Lies is also really good, although iirc that song and Mary Lou are sort of early versions of Be True 

19 minutes ago, burgessliam22 said:

I think Be True should've been put on The River, Bruce has said he regrets not doing this. I think it was Crush On You that took it's place, which is still a good song

Oh., I think Be True is far superior and would have notched The River up a bit.

• Like 2

I agree with protection but the Donna Sommers version is pretty awsome

Im going with my Nebraska favourites child bride, the lossin' kind and fade to black 

And its the little things that count 

And on a tangent Patti - please Atlas shrugged on the long overdue 4th album

• Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, burgessliam22 said:

Little White Lies is also really good, although iirc that song and Mary Lou are sort of early versions of Be True 

Has there ever been a triple album? probably, but if not bruce could have been the first ever artist,.roulette/whitetown/be true/loose ends /meet me in the city/take em as they come

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Both be true and loose ends were released on tracks

I'm not sure what you're point is, everyone knows that. I think people were talking about what they think should have been on The River. And it came out before Tracks. As everybody knows.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Appleorchard253 said:

This changes for me every day, but today I love “Ain’t Good Enough For You.” I cant believe he sat on it for so long. I mean, it doesn’t fit in Darkness. But still. 

Listening to Tracks and The Promise, makes you realise just how careful Bruce must've been at the time to get Darkness... 'right'. Very few of the outtakes from the era would have added much or improved the record at all if they were to replace one of the ten tracks that eventually ended up on the album. Maybe The Promise, but I even struggle to see where that could fit in on the record, or what song it should've replaced, and the fullband version isn't that great IMO. Love love love the solo piano version though.

56 minutes ago, the-chickenman said:

Listening to Tracks and The Promise, makes you realise just how careful Bruce must've been at the time to get Darkness... 'right'. Very few of the outtakes from the era would have added much or improved the record at all if they were to replace one of the ten tracks that eventually ended up on the album. Maybe The Promise, but I even struggle to see where that could fit in on the record, or what song it should've replaced, and the fullband version isn't that great IMO. Love love love the solo piano version though.

Wasn't The Promise  too devoid of hope for Darkness

I know he's since said it should have been on it but that he was too close to it at the time

Its pretty bleak (genius bleak and my 3rd fav song) and with not a single glimmer of hope, of which the darkness album does most certainly have

Happy should definitely have been on Human Touch, an album which for me only contains about 4 songs which are up to his usual standard. If he had included Happy it would have improved the quality of the album a fair bit in my opinion. Beautiful song.

I would also go for None but the Brave to go on Born in the USA, although despite it being a great song, I can understand why Bruce left it off. It doesn't quite fit in with the theme of the record.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

Happy should definitely have been on Human Touch, an album which for me only contains about 4 songs which are up to his usual standard. If he had included Happy it would have improved the quality of the album a fair bit in my opinion. Beautiful song.

I would also go for None but the Brave to go on Born in the USA, although despite it being a great song, I can understand why Bruce left it off. It doesn't quite fit in with the theme of the record.

I agree "Happy" is a fantastic song, play this alot

• Bruuuuce! 1

"Sherry Darling" should have been released as a single in the summer of 1978 the way Bruce said he planned. Put any of the songs later released on The Promise on the b-side and he would have had a hit single.

During the BITUSA-tour Bruce should have put out an EP of "darker" songs (with the drum machines replaced by Max's drums) including at least "Unsatisfied heart," "Richfield whistle," "Born in the U.S.A" (acoustic), "Sugarland" (acoustic) and "Follow that dream."    Or a 12-song album of the amazing leftover band songs such as "This hard land," "Murder Inc.", "None but the brave"...
Would have sold millions of copies at the height of his mass popularity AND made long-time fans happy.

• Bruuuuce! 1