Greasy Lake Community

Lucky Town is an incredible album

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

The Big Muddy goes up on his Mt. Rushmore of bad songs. I don’t get how he could even have put that out.
I think the best songs on Lucky Town are really good songs that I love. And there a few of them. But as a total album I’m not sure where I’d rank it. Somewhere in the middle I guess. 

Not for me. Atmospheric song, with the killer line: 'let me tell you something the rich don't know, sonny, sooner or later it all comes down to money...'

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

Not for me. Atmospheric song, with the killer line: 'let me tell you something the rich don't know, sonny, sooner or later it all comes down to money...'

Hard for me to concentrate on what he’s saying with that horrible music behind him and that boring, whiny singing style. If it was a poem, maybe it would have some value to me. Alas, it’s supposed to be a song.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:58 PM, Frank said:

I think Lucky Town might have been a pretty good album, had Bruce taken the time to finish the songs properly. 

As I've written several times over the years, some songs on this album sound demo-like (and in this respect, the album credits tell all). Just listen to the title-track: a great song, but where is the solo? XXplugged is hardly held as a reference in terms great music, but just listen how the Lucky Town material shines, once it was properly worked out.

Unfortunately, the "carelessness" of Lucky Town is also highlighted by the perfectly crafted (like it or not) material on Human Touch. Had Human Town been released in 1990 and Lucky Town in 1992 our opinion on both albums would have probably been pretty different, I guess.

I disagree with respect I love the rough and ready feel of Lucky Town in  contrast to the produced but soulless production of Human Touch. Lucky Town 
has a lovely feel of warmth and spontaneity, featuring songs coming  from the heart. Human Touch whilst containing some good songs is mostly ruined by the production (eg Real World ,Soul Driver in particular) in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

It's a great album.

A minor gripe, for me, is that the Big Muddy (chorus stolen from Preacher's Daughter) interrupts the autobiographical story arc of domestic bliss.

love The Big Muddy very underrated. one of the best songs on the album.(the live plugged version is the definitive one) with all respect

On 9/16/2020 at 5:28 PM, The_Magic Rat said:

It really is an excellent album, probably the one I am drawn back to most consistently. I appreciate it might not be his 'best' but I have perhaps listend to some of the classics to death. Lucky town feels effortlessly great and welcoming. Lyrically it is stunning (the laconic narrative of Lucky Town and the beauty of Living proof and book of dreams).

If he had combined this with some of the best tunes from HT he would have created one of his best albums ever.

totally agree. Its just a shame that the LT Outtake Happy (ended up on Tracks) wasn't included. Love that song such a beautiful  lyric and melody

• Like 4

The Big Muddy is a good song (but nothing more than that) and maybe, or maybe not, an attempt to try something a little bit different.  It is not your typical Bruce Springsteen song.

But it is a very strange choice for opening song of Side 2. Assuming Bruce was still thinking like that in 1992: a good sequencing and Side 1 and Side 2.

9 hours ago, greatmate said:

I disagree with respect I love the rough and ready feel of Lucky Town in  contrast to the produced but soulless production of Human Touch. Lucky Town 
has a lovely feel of warmth and spontaneity, featuring songs coming  from the heart. Human Touch whilst containing some good songs is mostly ruined by the production (eg Real World ,Soul Driver in particular) in my opinion.

Well, this is an age long debate by now, and I know the majority of Bruce's fans have an issue with the production of Human Touch. It's hardly soulless to me. On the contrary, it shows what Bruce wanted to do without the E Street Band.

As for the supposed warmth and spontaneity of Lucky Town, I wouldn't argue with personal tastes. However, what appears as spontaneous to some, is probably just lack of details or carelessness to others. Just look at the album credits: I can not think of something less spontaneous than an album where the singer plays most instruments (guitar, bass, keyboard, etc) at the same time, with the exception of Gary Mallaber on the drums and a few contribution. Lucky Town is not Nebraska, The Seeger Sessions or, as it seems, Letter to You in terms of spontaneous approach. Rather, its songs are basically a series of home studio overdubs, aka, what you normally do with demos. And in this respect, it lacks in sonic depth and quality, IMHO.   

3 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Would you have the same feeling if you hadn't looked at the album credits?

Without a doubt, as far as I’m concerned. Just listen to the rhythmic session.

Actually, I can still remember going through the booklet almost 30 years ago, in order to find out why the album sounded so thin and weak to me (except maybe for two-three tracks), despite the great songs it features.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Hard for me to concentrate on what he’s saying with that horrible music behind him and that boring, whiny singing style. If it was a poem, maybe it would have some value to me. Alas, it’s supposed to be a song.

Bruce song's at there best are poems to me, chocked full of wisdom and insight about the human condition. Love Big Muddy, I also love the sound.... there should be wayyyyy more slide guitar in music.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Bruce song's at there best are poems to me, chocked full of wisdom and insight about the human condition. Love Big Muddy, I also love the sound.... there should be wayyyyy more slide guitar in music.

Bruce’s song at their best are rocking and melodic. Big Muddy is not. His lyrics are rarely the issue (Real Man and Surprise, Surprise aside). And I love slide guitar. It’s just a bad song. 
All that said, I probably haven’t heard the song in 15 years or so. Maybe my tastes have changed. I’ll give it a listen today.

My favourite album of alltime by anyone. Loved hows its recorded. Loved the lyrics. And the roughness of the recording . Love it .

Souls of the departed live omg . The power of the music with  the words.

Best video ever . The brilliant better days .

Brilliant thread

Love it love it 

On 9/18/2020 at 9:18 AM, Jertucky said:

Bruce’s song at their best are rocking and melodic. Big Muddy is not. His lyrics are rarely the issue (Real Man and Surprise, Surprise aside). And I love slide guitar. It’s just a bad song. 
All that said, I probably haven’t heard the song in 15 years or so. Maybe my tastes have changed. I’ll give it a listen today.

Just listened to it. Don’t see how anybody could like it, but tastes differ. The singing on a snaking biting you and you’re poison too made me chuckle. It’s Yoko Onoesque. Enjoy the hell out of it if you like though.

That said, it was followed up on my shuffle by Lucky Town. That is a hell of a song.