Greasy Lake Community

LAST MAN STANDING partial lyrics

7 hours ago, Rizla said:

It's just a draft though - scribbling down ideas on paper.   Refine it later, throw out what doesn't sound right.

Did you figure out the first word in that line? Maybe it helps put things in context.

9 hours ago, Eileen said:

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier - spend a lot of time screwing my eyes up, looking at photos and writing.

Thought it was Trotters straight away then checked there was such a place.

Maybe it's this one? Does it still exist?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 2

I just asked Albee about it but, although he can't remember the place, he knew where it might be. He reckons it's very likely that it's Trotters ... the name given to the horses that pulled the chariot-like thingies. Gambling. 

8 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I just asked Albee about it but, although he can't remember the place, he knew where it was. He reckons it's very likely that it's Trotters ... the name given to the horses that pulled the chariot-like thingies. Gambling. 

And the sport is called "trotting". Never heard of that.

So, the Trotters & Pacers Diner was just next to the Freehold Raceway (which is located here) where trotting took place. It looks like Trotters & Pacers Diner opened in 1963 and now became Chili's Grill & Bar! See that little building north of the raceway just across the parking. It's the same building found in the postcard I posted above.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

He's probably got the worst hand writing of any adult I know.

You obviously haven't seen mine. ;)

We had a doctor at the hospital, back in the day, blimey ... trying to read his notes took some doing.

Jesus, I can't wait to hear this song. And as someone who wants to be a songwriter, I kinda want to nick "last chance lovers". Of course the greatest songwriter in the world would junk good lines if it didn't ultimately fit his narrative. I'm always learning from him. 

On the handwriting, I remember loving his Songs book, which was full of the lyrics for each song from each album up to that point. It included pictures of some of his handwritten notes and the like while writing for Darkness, and I soaked up all I could, given his handwriting. I've noticed that some of the most creative, brilliant songwriters have bad handwriting. John Lennon did too. Guess that doesn't bode well for me, I have pretty good, legible handwriting. Anyway

2 hours ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Jesus, I can't wait to hear this song. And as someone who wants to be a songwriter, I kinda want to nick "last chance lovers". Of course the greatest songwriter in the world would junk good lines if it didn't ultimately fit his narrative. I'm always learning from him. 

On the handwriting, I remember loving his Songs book, which was full of the lyrics for each song from each album up to that point. It included pictures of some of his handwritten notes and the like while writing for Darkness, and I soaked up all I could, given his handwriting. I've noticed that some of the most creative, brilliant songwriters have bad handwriting. John Lennon did too. Guess that doesn't bode well for me, I have pretty good, legible handwriting. Anyway

John Lennon was dyslexic, which is commonly combined with poor penmanship.