Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

One Minute You’re Here lyrics


Recommended Posts

Feet on gravel and crackling phone lines are evocative to him. He's mentioned it specifically in an interview before.

 

Sounds like some interesting songs coming... just wish he'd not put the old ones on the record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I like these lyrics more than letter to you.

It could be a song about mortality generally or losing somebody, but part of me wonders if it's about his mum and dementia. The way someone with dementia fades in and out, they're talking about a memory and they're  back for a moment, how they used to be, then suddenly gone again.

Reading the lyrics that's what came to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, timeisillusion said:

Personally I like these lyrics more than letter to you.

It could be a song about mortality generally or losing somebody, but part of me wonders if it's about his mum and dementia. The way someone with dementia fades in and out, they're talking about a memory and they're  back for a moment, how they used to be, then suddenly gone again.

Reading the lyrics that's what came to me.

They’re still pretty tight but, I agree, I like them better than LTY.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I last posted here. I'm happy that there are so many here who are enjoying the album. I like it also very much.

I've been thinking about the lyrics to One Minute You're Here. I got this following interpretation from out of nowhere.

In the first verse there's this "big black train blowing the whistle". Could this be Clarence?

Then the autumn carnival. This could be Bruce and his mother "walking arm-in-arm". Bruce wrote something like this in his book when describing Wild Billy's Circus Story.

"Red river running along the edge of town" could be Patti? It's where Bruce may lay his body down.

I may be completely lost, don't know :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Finnish Fan said:

Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I last posted here. I'm happy that there are so many here who are enjoying the album. I like it also very much.

I've been thinking about the lyrics to One Minute You're Here. I got this following interpretation from out of nowhere.

In the first verse there's this "big black train blowing the whistle". Could this be Clarence?

Then the autumn carnival. This could be Bruce and his mother "walking arm-in-arm". Bruce wrote something like this in his book when describing Wild Billy's Circus Story.

"Red river running along the edge of town" could be Patti? It's where Bruce may lay his body down.

I may be completely lost, don't know :D

I see the big black train as his depression.

I thought about him and his mum straight away with the 'walking arm in arm' line.

Patti could very well be the red river - I didn't think about that one!

I love this song and the way the music builds - just like Hitch Hikin'.  It's also a nice touch that he ends with 'one minute you're here' (as long as he doesn't mean his depression!).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

It's also a nice touch that he ends with 'one minute you're here' (as long as he doesn't mean his depression!).

I haven't read the words properly yet but that bit - he does that during Moonlight Motel, too. Extra emphasis. I took the missing words as putting the stress on being here one minute ... then the next ... just showing it can happen so quickly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Big black train comin' down the track
Blow your whistle long and long
One minute you're here
Next minute you're gone"

Whistle "long and long" is a nice touch here. "Release brakes and proceed"

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...